close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I would love a Dillon Swager. I use the RCBS press mounted and it’s okay but that Dillon is slick!

Junction15 likes this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

rcbs is making a copy of the Dillon now.
    they must have got tired of replacing bent swage stems.

Junction15 and jerry like this.

3. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Finished my 303s, 30/06, Made 100 38sp wad cutters for a friend. Next batch 45 acp semi wad cutters and 455 Webleys. One day found a Old Ruger Cowboy casting mold .456. Works perfect for the Webley Mk VI.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. jerry

USA
    I have bent a few.

Junction15 likes this.
  5. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I got a Dillon SDB last year after some good advice from a couple of members here and have been delighted with it (was considering their 550 also but since I only am reloading handgun cartridges--and that's all I had planned to do--went with the SDB due to its auto indexing and somewhat easier (for me) die system). I reload 38 special, 44 special, and 45 colt cartridges.

A real quality item and when I ordered I had asked a few questions to which they provided some excellent and helpful advice.

We made several runs of ammo over the summer and it's REALLY quick.

Unfortunately it's 1200 miles away right now but I'll get back to it (and to a place I really like) when things warm up.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Gotta be faster than the RCBS swager dies.

7. runfiverun

they are actually pretty quick.
    there is a rubber band spring trick out there to make them a little quicker, but I'm just fine with the pace they keep when I operate the Dillon one by hand.

Jerry.
    I went with the [4] 550's because they weren't automatic advance.
    I have a 650 and it works just fine but it just sits there.
    the 550 operation is similar to my ponsess warren machines so everything seems like a natural flow of hand movements.

Dutch and jerry like this.
  8. jerry

USA
    Get some!

Rocky7 and Dutch like this.
  9. runfiverun

that guy needs the bullet tray, it keeps your left hand right there next to the machine.

jerry likes this.
  10. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I have the RCBS swager die. Still slow and tedious - but it does work.
    I also have the Lyman hand tool cutter that is supposed to remove the crimp metal. That thing is horrible because its very hard to keep it straight in the primer pocket - too easy to ruin the pocket.

The Super Swager 600 mounts to a board that I mount to my bench. You first size/deprime that cases. Then you drop them on the anvil piece, swivel it down into place, pull the handle and you're done.
    You can even see on Youtube where folks mount them vertically, then use springs or rubber bands to make the case kick out into a collection bin. I think I'll forego that for now, though.

jerry likes this.
  11. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

Actually the 550 is faster than it looks. I'm used to my old RCBS progressive and would have to insert a case in station 1, put a bullet on the case in station 5, and pull the handle.
    With the 550, it's the same deal, except that my thumb hits the star wheel on the way to station 3 to place a bullet. It's pretty automatic to do so advancing the shell plate is easy and takes very little time.
    One thing I really appreciate it that if I suspect something did not go right, I can pull the case from wherever it is and check - then put it back in the shell plate. Same thong for set up

2 things I really like - and this probably goes for all the Dillon equipment - is the primer feed and seating is very positive and consistent. And the powder measure is also very consistent.
    Only things I don't like - it's 4 stations instead of 5 so I can't use my powder checker dies as easily, and if I forget to advance the shell plate, I get a powder dump at station 2. But not mislead anyone, if there is no case under the powder measure, the powder measure does not activate. What I'm talking about is getting momentarily distracted and neglecting to rotate the shell plate. But that's purely my fault - lesson learned for not paying attention.
    Must....Pay....Attention.

jerry and TXplt like this.
  12. runfiverun

and you waste a primer in the process if you double clutch it like that.

Dutch likes this.
  13. gandog56

Got two more bases for a brass catcher so I don't have to chase my fired cases when my guns put them in low earth orbit. The brass catcher is designed to connect to a picatinny rail, and I have 3 semi autos with those rails. So I no longer will have to chase brass from my 10mm Mechtech CCU, my 10mm TNW Aero carbine, and my Ar-15, with both the .223 and the .300 AAC uppers. The brass catcher just slides off the base, so I only needed to buy one brasscatcher and three bases to cover all the guns. Just pull the catcher from one base, and insert it in the other bases.

jerry likes this.
  14. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Loaded some 243Win with 70gr Sierra Blitz kings on top of a charge of Varget and being lit by a Fed 210 Primer. Hoping to find a load this Ruger Hawkeye will like.

jerry and Rocky7 like this.
  15. gandog56

I had snapped the sizer ball on my Hornady new dimension .223 dies. Got the parts in and fixed everything.

jerry and Rocky7 like this.
  16. jerry

USA
    Yes I do!
    I keep thinking I can make it and it never happens

17. runfiverun

you could make one pretty easily it's just an L-bracket and a tray.

18. gandog56

Got in one more Caldwell base as I figured out one more rifle I can put it on. Thinking of maybe trying it out on a couple pistols.