Gun and Game Forum banner
501 - 520 of 3118 Posts

· Registered
12,716 Posts
large and small.
there is some dies that take headed pins like the older rcbs and the Dillons.
I just buy the Dillon ones and grind them down to fit the older rcbs dies, or swap the stems out for a newer one since the expanders they use are different too.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Went to range today picked up about 200 blazer 45 acp brass after 2 guys with high point rifles left. put them in the washing machine to get the mud off. Switching primer pin from my .38 die to the 45 die right now. Getting ready to punch some primers. Will be going to pick up some bullets later.And trying to find a used .45acp something for under 150 so I can shoot them.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Local shop has a Norinco with 2 mags and a leather holster, for $180 on consignment. It looks like it barely has been shot, been kept well oiled,but must have lived most of its life a truck gun(realy ugly cosmetic damage). Also possible sight knocked of center .Trying to talk them into $150+tax.
Had a high point 9mm, loved it , but have heard the .45 is not that accurate, and one I tried before did not impress me. So waiting for them to get feed back on the Norinco.
If not, I' ll just have 100 rounds (4 sets of 25) of .45. Loaded with different powder weights. I will put it back for testing in what ever gun I get.
The ammo will keep.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
the turret will do 223.
they don't take that much oomph.

I would snag that Norinco.
they are over built by a factor of 2 [5150 stainless most of the rest are only 4140] all the colt parts out there will fit them easy enough.
I wouldn't have even quibbled over 180$ I would have grabbed it and run.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Thanks! Going to be looking on the ground for some 223 brass when I go to the range, so I will be ready for the AR when it gets done.
Called on the Norinco.I can get it held for $150 this week ,he will pay off the owner. Then give the dealer his 20% that he would normally collect from the owner next week.I must sign a paper stating that I know it is unsafe and am buying it for repair or parts.No biggie, just a formality.
Slide functions,barrel clean,safety works, gun goes click when I pull the trigger,no cracks on frame or slide.:cool: Just scratched up from neglect. and also gunked up from too much and wrong type of oil. And needs new grips.
My wife says I am crazy. I buying bullets and a gun, So I can use the dies I got In the Dollar box to load for it.:rolleyes:

· Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Well, .223/5.56 brass is usually laying all around a range free for the taking. They are not a long case so they should load up perfectly fine in a Lee Turret press.

I keep wondering when the CMP actually starts selling them government .45's they are supposed to, what the going price will be.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
For future reference.....
Can I load .223 on a Lee turret? Or do I need to get something like a Rock Crusher?
Thanks!
is the Lee turret press prone to breaking? I have an old Lyman turret press that I bought in 1980. it has loaded probably millions of all kind of rifle & pistol ammo with no problems. I still use it today.
turret presses are really handy and fast. if you have a Lee turret press, use it to load your .223s.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
I haven't heard of there being a problem with them.
they might have slightly looser tolerances than a lyman or redding and a titch more flex.
but they will do AR ammo just fine.

speaking of which be aware that LC and other marked cases will have staked in or crimped in primers.
they de-prime easy enough but you have to remove the crimp to re-prime them.

many cut the primer crimp out with their champher tool, or a pocket knife, and many swage them out.
this just pushes the metal back where it come from.

I swage mine.
if I have a problem case [which I catch with my pocket cutting tool] I give the crimp ring a quick cut and check it again.

maybe your wife should call mine...LOL
I bought a couple of swage dies to deal with some random cases I found at the range.
yep no gun in that cal, but I knew they would make good bullets for the 31 cal rifles.
the dies cost more than all 3 of the rifles put together.

· Registered
9,574 Posts
I will be teaching a friend who is new to guns the fundamentals of reloading. He is from China and very interested in hunting. I will also be helping him with his hunter safety course. He has many questions and doesn't understand a lot of what is being asked due to many words not translating.

· Registered
9,574 Posts
Brake it down 1 step at a time. Don't patronize him. He will get it.
Good thing, what you are doing, we must be willing to pass the torch to those willing to take it.
We loaded up a couple 12ga rounds, a couple 223, and a few 9mm just so he could learn the basic functions of the press as well as how all the components work together. He also learned the difference between a Turret press and a progressive press for Metallic cartridges.

· Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
I haven't done anything on the bench. This pneumonia I have had since December is whipping my butt. I did just get 500 Hornady .40 cal 180 grain HAP projectiles ordered because they were on sale, and I did get 2 more 10mm guns this year.

· Registered
862 Posts
Just got done reloading some .300 BLK... using IMR 4227 and Hornady 110 grain V-max. I know I had some misgivings about that bullet initially, as it seemed to have barely went in the case (turns out it goes in further than I thought), but it performed very well.

501 - 520 of 3118 Posts