Gun and Game Forum banner
521 - 540 of 3019 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Lots of rain here in the past two days, so I was off work early. Too wet and muddy to turkey hunt, so I came home and did some reloading. Got another 100 rounds of .308 loaded as hunting rounds. The other .308s I have loaded lately were FMJBT bullets. Also loaded a couple hundred 9 mm Luger rounds. More rain forecast for tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
got my modified collet die.
it's only good for neck sizing 308 cases that are .0016 or .0017 thick and will only squeeze them down far enough to hold a .309 or .310 diameter bullet.
so pretty useless to most of the world but perfect for the .0022 thick cases I have coming.
why you ask?
well... cause I got this idea.
if I take a .301 diameter slug of lead, and wrap 2 wraps of 25% cotton bond paper around it and re-size it to .310 with a little paste wax wiped on it.
I should be able to throw a 135-140gr cast bullet at about 2900-3000 fps, and only use about 35-38grs of powder to get there.

probably not in a manual anywhere.
but what else do I got to do with my free time when I get this naked cast project wrapped up.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 · (Edited)
Well, with my buying my Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm revolver, I guess I want to try some warp nine speed bullets in it. So today I started by inserting the primers in about 400 prepped 10mm cases and I set up the Lee Turret press for 10mm. Tomorrow I'll probably start pumping them out. The next range trip I'm going all out 10mm. Taking my RIA, my DW Razorback, my Fusion Firearms long slide, m Tanfoglio Full Steel Witness, my Mechtech CCU, my TNW Aero 10mm carbine, and my New Ruger. I expect to go through maybe 5-600 loads, maybe 1000. My wet rotary will be busy after, that's for sure

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Well, since I have a new Ruger revolver in 10mm that is supposed to be delivered to my FFL guy tomorrow, I decided to make some brand new reloads for it. I took brand new never been shot Jagemann brass, Winchester LP primers, Hornady 180 grain .400" HAP bullets, and put them all together with 10.2 grains of Blue Dot powder. This is supposed to give me 1200 fps out of the muzzle, but I bet that was with a 5" or less barrel. My new Ruger has a 6 1/2" barrel. While I was at it, I had a sample pack from a guy on another board. He swages .40 cal HP bullets using old 9mm brass and a lead core. They averaged about 152 grains so I used a recipe for a jacketed 155 grain projectile. The same 10.2 grain charge weight is supposed to give me about 1100 fps. I am a little bit worried about core/jacket separation with these so I used about a minimum charge weight using the Blue Dot powder. Made 35 of these loads.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Ganny, do you have a chrony to check the velocity?

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
if they have the nose shape I think they do they will not separate,,,,, until they hit something and the jacket peels back.
I would bet he is using a BT-Sniper one step die.
I use a lot of Brian's dies, I have like the 2nd for sale die set he ever made, only it's in 44 cal not 35.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
I would bet he is using a BT-Sniper one step die.
I use a lot of Brian's dies, I have like the 2nd for sale die set he ever made, only it's in 44 cal not 35.
He's not from this board, but BT-Sniper does come on that other board, so maybe. Both joined up 2009. I asked him once what press he used, I think he told me a Corbin press.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
BT makes all kinds of adaptors and such.
I had him make me a threaded ram for my old RCBS press and some punches for it, so I could get my 31 cal rifle die up and going.

he has a line of what he calls one-step dies.
you just drop a cast bullet in a case like the 9mm or 380 or 40 short and make a bullet for the next cal up.
he makes other accessories for them like a notching punch, hollow point punches, etc.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
I think I asked him once, and he said my Lee Challenger press would probable not be the thing to use.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Just bought 100 once fired Greek HXP .303 Brit cases. Which reminds me I haven't taken out my Limeys in a while.

Reactions: Big Dog

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I’ve been loading 9mm but have to stop due to my sizing and depriming die. I bent the stem and now every other round I’m having to readjust my die. I may just breakdown and buy the Dillon die set. I will switch over to 38spl this evening.

·
<------------<<<-
4,599 Posts
Last night I rolled 40rds of 243 testers, and tonight I did 20rds of 308 with a light charge of IMR4320 and 165gr BTSP. I doubt they'll be overly accurate, but they will let me shoot that rifl without taking a beating.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My brother was gon'na stop by my garage for the last couple of days after work. I have some parts I ordered for his pontoon boat he was gon'na pick up. So after I got home I just went to the garage and started loading 9 mm ammo while I waited for him to stop by.

I've loaded 300 so far. I hope he comes by tomorrow, "cause I'm almost out'ta 9 mm bullets. Down to 33 projectiles left for the 9 mm.

Oh well, I got plenty of .40 S&W and .45 ACP I can start on.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Loaded up 35 rounds of .38 +.5 grain from my former recipe to see If I can do better at 25 yards with my .357. My former load was OK for shot shells at 21 ft but have worked my way up to and trying to zone in better at 25 yards.
As far as my .45 rounds...they are going to have to wait a while to be tested as My choice of 1911 is currently apart and I am counting the dollars to repair it, properly.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
you want the LEE classic cast press for swaging.
they got that one right.
I use a little rcbs JR. press to make 223 bullets but it's a simple seat the core, and final shape operation.
I do all the hard work elsewhere.
most people don't understand just how much pressure is involved compared to something like re-sizing a rifle case.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I just finished a 250rd batch of 9mm 115gr round nose yesterday & today after work I knocked out another 100 .223 55gr FMJ all for range plinking this weekend if I can make it there without anything going wrong. It's like lately everytime I plan a range time something breaks or it rains all weekend. Just a slight chance of rain tomorrow morning then it's clear the rest the week. Wish me luck!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Ganny, nice display of "precious metals"! :cool:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My son & I had to build some Bluebird houses for the church today. Once they were cut and drilled, I put'em together & my son started paint'en them. While he was painting, I finished loading the 9mm's. When I was through with them, I started on some .40 S&W. I ONLY have a thousand or so to load.

521 - 540 of 3019 Posts