Gun and Game Forum banner
541 - 560 of 2992 Posts

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
The only ammo I probably have more of already reloaded than 10mm is, you may guess it, .40 cal. I used the same bullets for both. Usually I use Precision Bullets coated 185 grain RFN. But....I still have a pile left of them Hornady 180 grain HAP projectiles left, and I think I want to see how they shoot out of my new Ruger. I may make me a box of pretty stiff .40 cal loads to see where they hit the target in relation to the 10mm loads.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This weekend my oldest son told me my youngest son fired all his .40 S&W ammo on their last trip to the range. Left him with one full magazine. Well, I happened to have the .40 S&W dies setup in the turret press, so I just continued loading this afternoon.

Loaded 165 grain JHP, over 6.2 grains of Auto Comp powder, Federal small pistol primers and once fired Winchester brass. Loaded 100 rounds for him to take home this weekend. I think my youngest son will have a turn on the press this weekend.

I'm a firm believer that if you shoot'em, you should be ready to reload'em.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I tumbled 200 44mag cases today. I still have 50 44 special cases to do and countless 38 special and 357mag cases. I found a box of Speer 158gr JSP .357 bullets today, so that will take care of a few loads.

EDIT: On that note, I rounded up all the 38s I could find and dumped them in the tumbler. I have even more cases back home at my parents' house. I'll be ordering five new die sets on Friday--38/357, 40/10mm, 44spcl/44mag, 30-30, and 340 Weatherby (to reload for my uncle). I will also be ordering a neck sizer for my 243 and a full length sizer for my 308. I have a ton of brass from my old 308, so I need to resize it all.

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
The brass fairy made a visit to me today. I was cleaning out my car trunk and I came across a bag of 100 PRVI Partizan .303 Brit cases. I have NO idea why they were there or where they came from. Anyways I decapped them all and threw them in the wet rotary tumbler. They are cleaning up now.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You would think I would learn not to use the shop vac to clean up around the loading presses.

I have a Dillon 550 press and it uses 3 brass locator pins. Two of said pins got sucked up into the nozzle so fast that before I could stop they were in the can. At first, I thought those were a couple of loose bullets that might have jostled out of the box and landed in one of the crevices. But a quick glance at the press showed a different story.

So then the only thing to do was get a big piece of cardboard, pull out the vacuum bag and dump it on the cardboard, and start sifting through the flotsam and jetsam. But I did find both of them.

Well, that was so much fun that I did it again tonight. Same deal - cut open the bag, dump it on the cardboard, rummage through the contents. And I did find the pins...again.

So I put a piece of bright yellow masking tape on the front of the press and wrote in red marker
! NO VACUUM !. Do you think that will work? (Somehow, I doubt it)

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
I recently got a couple boxes of the new .30 Speer Gold Dot 150 gr. bullets. these are supposed to expand at lower velocities with the 300 Black Out in mind. while I am satisfied with the deadly 125 gr. SST for a deer/hog bullet, I figured I would try some of these in my Mini 14. in the past I have loaded other 150 gr. bullets and the Mini really liked the heavier bullets. (groups tightened up) so, I was going to load up a batch to try but when I went looking for the bag of a few hundred cases I knew I had, I couldn't find it anywhere! &^%$$%^^ I remembered they were ruined by sea water during the hurricane! so today I ordered 500 pieces of processed brass. thats as close to reloading as I have been in the last couple of weeks. lol

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Out of my berry's plated .357 bullets. Have some .358 regular HBWC but saving those for Red Dot powder. It seams to work best with those for 21 ft plinking.
Have about 100 of lead HBWC's same size that measure .355. Maybe shrunk in the die? or for 9mm revolver?
Just to use them up...

Thinking of loading them up with some universal. Then take my .357 revolver steel plinking. Maybe, load them in the morning.Probably not going to be that accurate but who cares just for blowing off steam.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well my 100 oddball .355 hbwc's are used up, My wife and I had a blast shooting cans and pans. loaded them upin .38 cases with a medium charge of universal. They grouped about 6 inches at 21 ft out of the 357, and dirtied up the gun a bit, but good enough to hit what we were shooting, and the lead cleaned out.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
Out of my berry's plated .357 bullets. Have some .358 regular HBWC but saving those for Red Dot powder. It seams to work best with those for 21 ft plinking.
Have about 100 of lead HBWC's same size that measure .355. Maybe shrunk in the die? or for 9mm revolver?
Just to use them up...

Thinking of loading them up with some universal. Then take my .357 revolver steel plinking. Maybe, load them in the morning.Probably not going to be that accurate but who cares just for blowing off steam.
Somewhere I got a hold of some coated DEWC's. I was checking out the bins to see if I was running short of anything and I found these. Once again, I have no clue where they came from, who even makes them. I have stuff even I can't believe I have. I need a better way of organizing them shelves.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I'll be set up for 38's and 357 after today. I'm picking up some dies, Berry's bullets, and Accurate #5. I'll put some loads together tonight, probably.

EDIT: I decided to go with some 158gr hollow points from Rainier Ballistics. The price per bullet was a little cheaper.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
I shot & chromed the ammo I loaded up the other day. they all shot good. I could only shoot at 25 yds but when I did my part, I got cloverleaf groups. I loaded some with 17.7 grs of H-110. this is my previous load for 150 gr. bullets and some with 18.0 grs of H-110. I don't think my chronograph was working right because previous data showed the same 150 gr. Hornandy SP loading going a lot faster than yesterday's data. and very little difference between the different powder charges. also the Magnetospeed chronograph wasn't registering all the shots in a string. I loaded up some more with the 18 gr. powder charge when I got home from the range and when it quits raining, I will go out and shoot them up. the Hornandy 150gr SP looks pretty close in shape to the more expensive Speer Gold Dot. the Hornandy is my go to deer bullet for my ,30/06 & .308 Win. loads so I have a few around. I loaded up a bunch of those to sight the Mini 14 in with and for plinking. I loaded some of the Gold Dots and they shot same as the Hornandys. I'll use them for hunting and if they preform as advertised, I'll dedicate the Mini 14 to them & 150 gr. bullets.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Still wishing for a chronograph.:(
I wander if we could measure fps be having someone use a stop watch.Shoot a steel plate at 2000yards. Start it when you pull the trigger stop when you hear plink. Subtract the time it takes for the sound to get back. Then divide 6000 by the remaining time is seconds to the hundredth. This would give you feet per second.:D
Of course the stop watch operator would have to be realy good.;)
Never mind, just me rambling.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
I am trying to make a Microsoft Excel spread sheet on my recipes so I can quit trying to remember which reloading manual has what recipe I use. It's been a LONG time since I created a data base in Excel. I started with rifle. I have caliber, bullet weight, charge weights for the powders I have, what combination of disks I use in my Lee autodisk with the riser attachment so I can use two disks, one that matches my low end charge and one for the high end charge. I have completed my .223 Rem, 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, .270 Winchester, 7X57 Mauser, and left off in the middle of my .300 AAC Blackout, I still have 7.5 Swiss, 7.7 Jap, .303 Brit, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, 30.06, .308, and 8X56R to go. Then I start on pistol calibers. I have to do 7.62 Nagant, 7.62X25, 9mm Mak, 9mm Luger, .38 special, 357 SIG, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, .44 Russian, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .454 Casull.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
Still wishing for a chronograph.:(
I wander if we could measure fps be having someone use a stop watch.Shoot a steel plate at 2000yards. Start it when you pull the trigger stop when you hear plink. Subtract the time it takes for the sound to get back. Then divide 6000 by the remaining time is seconds to the hundredth. This would give you feet per second.:D
Of course the stop watch operator would have to be realy good.;)
Never mind, just me rambling.:rolleyes:
You could do it that way, but that would be time to target, not velocity at the muzzle.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
between monsoons today I shot the 300 BLK loads with18 gr. of powder. I also put a new battery in my chronograph and it registered all the shots with velocities that were where they should be! they all averaged around 2000fps. my groups weren't as good as the other day's so I'm going to go back down to 17.7 gr. of H-110 and see if the groups tighten back up.
I threw a bunch of 10mm brass in the tumbler, I'll fill them up in a day or so.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Going to load up 10-65 grain v-max for the .243 with H-4350. Trying to create something with a little 'truer to my scope' trajectory than a 58 grain flat nose Winchester factory ammo, for 200 to 400 yards, get me within 3 inches, or so with a Winchester .243 bolt action.
Traded my lee powder through carbine.380 pistol dies for a set of .243 lee pacesetter rifle dies( I have 700 rounds .380 practice loaded up, and don't see ever needing the die again in the near future).
I just fitted the Winchester with an old Tasco 3-9x40 scope with 3 fixed horizon recitals for a 30/30.
Had 40 or so V-max, from a busted open box that could not be sold, gave to me to try. And I have only universal, red dot and H-4350 powders.
So, looking at some loading recipes, for the 10 empty brass I have with the H-4350.
See how they do.

541 - 560 of 2992 Posts