Gun and Game Forum banner
561 - 580 of 3019 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Finished the rifle reloading Excel sheet, started on the pistol.
I did this years ago to consolidate my load data from various sources. Mine is in a three ring binder, and saved on my 'puter.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
<------------<<<-
4,598 Posts
I cranked out another 50 rounds of 38spcl tonight. I'm really liking that Accurate #5. It meters so well I don't worry about the charge variance. I checked every throw on my RCBS balance last night with a couple throws not being perfect. I hope Blue Dot and H110 meter this well.

EDIT: Acc#5 seems to burn cleanly, too. There's unburnt powder similar to in my 22mag revolver, but very little soot. I'll have to pick up some copper solvent as I'm seeing copper residue on the rifling.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Put in pretty much the whole day working on my Pistol loads data base. Got from 7.62 Nagant to 10mm before I decided the numbers were starting to just swim in front of my face. Still have .44 Russian to .454 Casull to go.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Currently working on reloading 11x52R otherwise known as 43 dutch. Got a few cranked out first black powder round I have ever reloaded.

Disregard the bottle of the probably the best thing to ever come out of Canada in the background. .223 reload for size comparison.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I cranked out another 50 rounds of 38spcl tonight. I'm really liking that Accurate #5. It meters so well I don't worry about the charge variance. I checked every throw on my RCBS balance last night with a couple throws not being perfect. I hope Blue Dot and H110 meter this well.

EDIT: Acc#5 seems to burn cleanly, too. There's unburnt powder similar to in my 22mag revolver, but very little soot. I'll have to pick up some copper solvent as I'm seeing copper residue on the rifling.
Your post made me think - you might want to take a look at that CFE Pistol powder. It's supposed to reduce/eliminate copper fouling. I have a pound to try out but I haven't done enough with it yet to tell you about but you could take a look at it.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
As for my .243 adventures.
My boss and I have been doing these little trades, lost track of who is ahead, but it don't matter as long as we both get what we want.
My boss needed some red dot for experimentation, so I traded him a large medicine bottle of Red Dot and 20 once shot nickle plated 45 acp brass.
I got a large medicine bottle "about 3 oz" of Allient Pro Varmint, 10- 85 grain . Also 10 brass, and a Recipe from Allient for 85 grain.
Going to load them progressively up the scale for powder and give them a try this afternoon.
SO I will be comparing 2 different loads for coexistence with my current .243- scope combo at 300 to 400 yard.
Then, trying to work up a load with 10 shots, or less to try and do better than the other 2.
Well, got to get loading, got a lot to do today.

·
<------------<<<-
4,598 Posts
As for my .243 adventures.
My boss and I have been doing these little trades, lost track of who is ahead, but it don't matter as long as we both get what we want.
My boss needed some red dot for experimentation, so I traded him a large medicine bottle of Red Dot and 20 once shot nickle plated 45 acp brass.
I got a large medicine bottle "about 3 oz" of Allient Pro Varmint, 10- 100 grain fmj's. Also 10 brass, and a Recipe from Allient for 100 grain.
Going to load them progressively up the scale for powder and give them a try this afternoon.
SO I will be comparing 2 different loads for coexistence with my current .243- scope combo at 300 to 400 yard.
Then, trying to work up a load with 10 shots, or less to try and do better than the other 2.
Well, got to get loading, got a lot to do today.
IMR7828 was a good powder for my 243. You just need magnum primers with it.

·
<------------<<<-
4,598 Posts
I made a makeshift shelft above my bench last night to see how I like it. I like it, so I'll make it pernament later.

I finish prepping the rest of my 38 brass last night. I deburred the mouths, primed, and flared 158 cases. I have 50 shells loaded up, and 49 cases ready to start the process all over again.

·
Registered
36,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
Finished my Excel Data bases. Got in a shipment of new plastic ammo cases. I am in the process of getting rid of all my cardboard boxes of reloads. Some of them boxes have been opened, emptied, and reused that a lot of them were tearing and in general sad shape.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I loaded up 100 rounds of 223 Rem using the 55 gr Dogtown bullets from Midway. Had them on my shelf for several years and decided I need to try them.
Got a 100 yard rifle match coming up next weekend and I'm hoping to get there for it.
Problem is - with foster parenting the granddaughter and all - I can't get any sight in time for myself.

·
<------------<<<-
4,598 Posts
I loaded 158 38 specials tonight. I decided it was early enough to finally move to 357, so I did that. I sized, trimmed, primed, and flared 100 cases and, I loaded 50 rounds. In hindsight, I should have just seated all the bullets tonight and done the crimping tomorrow night.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well I am down to about a 12 inch drop, between 300 and 400 meters.
Called boss ran over and got 10 more bullets after I got back from taking the family fishing, last night.Used the Pro Varmint powder. Loaded up some more 85 grain and went back out this morning.
With that 12 drop it works out real well on my mis-matched set up. Used a 325 meter zero. With the 3 fixed horizontal cross-hairs on my cheap Tasco 30-30 scope, I can put them in there within 2.25 inches of my aim point, any where between 300 and 400 meters. Also the wind does not affect it much.

Load is on the high side "36.7 grain", 36.4 is there suggested load. NO SIGNS OF PRESSURE ON THE PRIMER AND verrrrry little lengthening.
Figure use the 100 rounds I have of Winchester 56 grain .243, for practice, at a yardage it will hit "o" with my scope set as is. That will fire-form the brass to my rifle. Then use the Winchester once shot brass, no more than 10 times and always trim and check for head separation. I should be OK.
Figure About 100 rounds a year the brass should last me about 10 years.:)
Good enough for "yotes" and "whistle pigs". Brings the cost of My Longer distance ammo way down.
(sorry for the mistake in earlier post< I corrected it> 85 grain speer not 100 grain)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I had to go in the reloading room because I couldn't stop laughing.
poor guy's.

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/remington-pistol-ammo-quality.186422/page-2#post-2209792
I have ben in conversations like that.Thank you guys for talking me into buying a press and taking the time to figure it all out. Now, after a few initial headaches, I pump out my most used
round,.38 spcl hbwc Shoots better than the best factory load in my gun, and costs way less than the cheapest target load I can buy.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
one MOA is just over an inch at 100 yds [1.3 airc]
it stands for minute of angle.
so at 300 yds 3"s is less than 1 MOA.
Oh, I see.
So when I was talking about possibility being able to use the 3 vertical cross hairs (recitals?)on my scope( sorry don't know what they are called) and Kentucky wind-age to come within 2.25" height wise, of where I am aiming he must have thought that I meant that I am aiming on center with no More than a 2.25 inch drop, or rise,stating that that would be only 3 moa(12 inches of drop) instead of 1moa(3 inches of drop) .
So yes My MOA height wise from the distance spanning between 300 yards to 400 yards is about 3.
My drop distance from barrel to 400 yards is somewhere around 29 inches or so.
So would not that make my actual moa at 400 yards about 7 MOA?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
So moa is used to describe angle in degrees. About 1 inch at 100 yards or meters.I can use it to refer to drop, windage or group size at x amount of yards.Scope adjustment or actual distance.
Think I got it.
now that I know the drop rate between 300 and 400 yards, I still need to test my round and rifle for Moa of a group at 400 yard as for as group size goes, to see if it is going to be effective.

561 - 580 of 3019 Posts