Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I loaded up 50rds of plated 148gr DEWC over 3.5gr of W231, and 50rnds of Hornady Frontier 158gr SWC over 3.4gr of the same powder. Gonna try them tomorrow.
I'm going to up the charges on both loads. They were the perfect mouse fart loads, but they're both a little dirty. The SWCs were super light loads. They were more than pleasant to shoot in the J frame. The WCs had a little sting to them.

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I loaded 100 38's tonight. I used the Hornady SWC 158gr over 3.5gr of W231. I may just keep loading until I run out of brass or those bullets. I'm liking that load for my J frame. The recoil is very comfortable, and the bullets hardly lead at all. I can't shoot my Missouri Bullets through it because they lead so badly.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
my cast lead bullet leading problems quit when I switched from swaged (Hornandy, Speer, etc..)lead bullets to hard cast lead bullets.
most of mine quit when I switched from storebought too small too hard bullets to much softer correct sized ones.

the rest of it stopped when I started fixing the problems with the guns themselves that was causing it in the first place.
My J frame has super tight cylinder throats. To my understanding, this contributed to leading quite a bit. Especially with harder bullets. The swaged Hornady bullets left one little streak of leading vs the ridiculous leading of the harder Missouris.

my GP100 has somewhat tight throats, but nowhere near as tight as the snubby's. The Missouris also lead up the GP' barrel pretty badly. I'll probably have the throats reamed in the near future. I imagine jacketed bullets will benefit from that, too.

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
The lady learned how to reload last night. 50 rounds of 38 special. 158gr swaged swc over 3.4gr or so W231. I ended up spilling the tray, so I need to use my bullet puller on a few and then will reseat and crimp.

Finger Brown Eyebrow Facial expression Organ

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
Been working up loads for my 308 Win and my 6.5x55. For the 6.5 I settled on 44grs of Reloader 17 with a 130gr Swift Scirroco on top and lit with a Federal 215 Match primer. The load runs 2760fps Avg from my 20.5" barrel.
This load shoots about 3/4" from my CZ 550fs.

For the 308 Win I have two loads I can't decide which one i'm going to use. I have the 150gr Barnes TTSX on top of a max charge of Varget with a Federal 215 Match primer. It runs 2750fps from the 18.5" barrel.
The second load is the new 165gr Sierra Game Changer on top of a max charge of Varget with a Fed 215 Match primer. It shoots at 2700fps from the 18.5" barrel.
Both of these loads shoot under an inch from the rifle.

I'm taking both rifles deer hunting since i'll be 6 hours from home and if something were to go wrong with one i'll have the back up. Just can't decide on which 308Win load i'll use.
Barnes. Less meat spoilage.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
All of my 44mag brass is sized and deprimed. I finally found my box of 44spl brass, so now those are in the tumbler. I found I have a LOT of starline brass from shooting HSM ammo. It shined up the best, along with PPU and some of the Winchester. Actually, the only brass that didn't shine up nicely was Federal. It's still all tarnished up.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
It is snowing and blowing across the High Plaines. Loading up the rest of my cast and powder coated 10MM bullets. I use Harbor Freight Red powder coat. We call these 10MM rounds "LipStick". But you don't want to get kissed by one. :D

View attachment 135670
Where have you found load data for cast 10mm? I have been having some trouble finding much of anything.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I put together some 357mag test batches today. Universal, W231, and H110 all made an appearance. Data was taken from hodgdonreloading.com. I feel a bit iffy on the high end H110 loads. They may get pulled after I test everything out. We'll see.

Hardwood Material property Collection Wood stain Stationery

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
Let us know how that goes, wiith the H110. I have a jar of H110 I bought for .357.I have never opened it yet. Just can't get off the H-Universal kick, it just plays so well in 9mmish calibers. Even for my .357 magnum loads.
H110 smells great when you shoot it, and it meters very well. I was actally not impressed with the Universal because it jammed up my powder throw so badly.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts