Gun and Game Forum banner
601 - 620 of 2992 Posts

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
over the last few days I have been loading & shooting various 300 Black Out loads with 150 gr. bullets. I settled on 17.7 grs. of H-110. they chrono 1980 - 2010 fps. today I loaded up the last 50 of the Hornandy 150 gr. SP I had on hand and 25 of the Speer Gold Dots. now to find some pigs to try them out on.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
I almost forgot- today after I loaded the 300 BLK ammo, I loaded up all the 10mm brass I had on hand. (about 75) with 180g. HST bullets & 10.5 gr. of Blue Dot.
tomorrow a friend is coming over and we plan to crank out a bunch of .40 S&W.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
over the last few days I have been loading & shooting various 300 Black Out loads with 150 gr. bullets. I settled on 17.7 grs. of H-110. they chrono 1980 - 2010 fps. today I loaded up the last 50 of the Hornandy 150 gr. SP I had on hand and 25 of the Speer Gold Dots. now to find some pigs to try them out on.
I use Win 296, which I guess is basically the same powder in a different jug. But I use 110 grain bullets.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
W 296 and H-110 are the same powder different label.
I normally shoot 125 gr. bullets in my supersonic 300 BLK. loads. my favorites being the TNT for blasting and the SST for hunting. I think that weight gives the best ratio of weight, flatter trajectory and expansion for the velocity of the 300 BLK. for more down range energy and when a big boar hog comes in, a heavier bullet can help. these 150 gr Gold Dots are a new bullet designed for the 300 BLK and its lower velocities. most Spitzer shaped 150 gr .30 bullets are designed for .308 Win, .30/06 etc... and don't expand below 1900 fps which as you can see from my chrono results is very close to the muzzle. Speer says this new bullet will expand down to 1600 fps which will extend the hunting range close to 200 yds. not that I get too many shots that far but since the Mini 14 likes the heavier bullets I figured on doing a little experimenting. like I said before, if these bullets preform good on game, I'll dedicate the Mini for 150 gr. bullets and keep shooting the 125 gr. bullets in the AR 15s. then I can have 3 different loadings dedicated to 3 different weapons all in the same caliber. 150 gr. supersonic in the Mini, 125 gr. supersonic in the AR carbine and 220 gr. sub sonic in the AR pistol. thats a testament to the versatility of the little 300 AAC Black Out.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
W 296 and H-110 are the same powder different label.
I normally shoot 125 gr. bullets in my supersonic 300 BLK.
Yeah, but I got me a deal on a crapload of 110 grain factory seconds. I plan to use them all up before I go elsewhere. Continuing to transfer my reloads from cardboard boxes to plastic. I was doing 10mm reloads today.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
nothing wrong with using 110 gr. bullets, a lot more speed and flatter trajectory. I have killed hogs with them just fine but generally, I like more weight in a hunting bullet incase I get a longer shot or a bigger animal comes in.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
Went to a gun show today. I pretty much only looked at one gun, a Remington 1911 10mm, but while I was there I got a 1 lb. jug each of Hodgdon Varget and Hodgdon H110. Then I bought a bag of 240 .40 cal. 160 grain SP's. When I got home, 4 new Ruger 10 round .22 LR magazines for my Mark IV came in, so I tried out my new little handy tool to load the magazines up. Little sucker worked great, and it will ALSO fits my Browning Buckmaster magazines.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Finally got done reboxing all my .38 special/.357 magnum reloads. All nice and new big old stickers indicating date made attached to the fronts where it's easy to see, with all the recipe information on new stickers on the tops. Now it's the turn of all my .45 cal stuff, but first I need to order some more plastic ammo boxes.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
I have been rearranging my ammo shelves. I am getting rid of the old used falling apart cardboard boxes and putting them in brand new plastic ones. I finished all my 10mm, .357 magnum, and .38 special reloads. They are all in new plastic, with all the reloading info on new stickers on the top, and big stickers with the date made in the front. Gawd I have some old reloads. Makes me want to go to a few range trips just to shoot it all up. I found out I haven't made any new reloads for .357 magnum since 2013. Probably because when I take my ,357 magnums to the range I only shoot about 50 rounds of full power .357, and finish with maybe 3 boxes of my .38 special DEWC practice ammo.
So, I need to get more boxes for my .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .44 russian, .44 special, .44 magnum. Then when I am done with that time for my 9mm Luger, 9mm Mak, and .380 ACP.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Spent $4 on another MTM case guard, for my 38 357 loads. My wife bought me one for a gift a few months ago. Just happend to see them at an out of town sporting goods store. I love these things. Cheap and water resistant.Plus they give you a few labels. Plus they come in my favorite color, blue.
Beats reusing old paper boxes over and over, till they fall apart.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/images/P-100-9-24-A400.jpg
Between the 2 cases. I can now sit down and load up 200 rounds at a time of .38spc., or .357

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
I'm teaching a younger friend to reload for his 40 cal using my Dillon RL 550B. His income is limited, so I am furnishing the components, courtesy of ex-bil.
When I don't need the 550B, it will be his.
Jeeze, why did I not know you!;)

·
Banned
672 Posts
I read your posts, and I don't mean to ever "hijack" yalls threads, but I remember things. Like this memory could be combined with "reloading bench" and "fisherwoman" and has nothing to do with either post in the context in which yall are posting. Reloading bench...grandpa's reloading bench..me and my older cousins. I was about 13, and assisted those older boys in loading some shotgun shells..with some of grandpa's (not sure correct name) but they were tear drop shaped fishing sinkers or weights. He caught us, as my older cousins were "test firing" into, and destroying an old stump. It was one of the worst spankings any of us ever received. I had helped, and I got it too.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
I read your posts, and I don't mean to ever "hijack" yalls threads, but I remember things. Like this memory could be combined with "reloading bench" and "fisherwoman" and has nothing to do with either post in the context in which yall are posting. Reloading bench...grandpa's reloading bench..me and my older cousins. I was about 13, and assisted those older boys in loading some shotgun shells..with some of grandpa's (not sure correct name) but they were tear drop shaped fishing sinkers or weights. He caught us, as my older cousins were "test firing" into, and destroying an old stump. It was one of the worst spankings any of us ever received. I had helped, and I got it too.
Not a hijack at all. Sounds like you and your cousins had a good time despite Grampa's spanking. I suspect the spanking was more for not having "Adult supervision" than anything. Somehow I can picture you being right in the middle saying "Let's use these."

601 - 620 of 2992 Posts