Gun and Game Forum banner
621 - 640 of 2992 Posts

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
when I was a little demon around elementary school days. the neighbor kid and I used to go into his father's work shop and get into his reloading stuff. putting primers on the anvil and hitting them with a ball peen hammer was a favorite. fortunately we still have our eyes and we never got caught or our butts would have been real sore. his father used a razor strop for spanking!

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
Any advice on loading 10mm for a Glock 20? I'm using Blue Dot powderMJs. I figure 10gr or so should be ok to start. Max according to Hornady's book is 10.7gr and roughly 1250fps. My Sig casings from their 180gr load have some slight bulging, but the Lee die seems to fix that right up.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
I'm picking up 10mm dies, bullets, and brass today. The next paycheck will send off my G20 slide to be cut.
Cut for what?
Reminds me of when I bought my first 10mm. I had ordered the dies and some bullets about the same time, they all arrived within one day of each other.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Any advice on loading 10mm for a Glock 20? I'm using Blue Dot powderMJs. I figure 10gr or so should be ok to start. Max according to Hornady's book is 10.7gr and roughly 1250fps. My Sig casings from their 180gr load have some slight bulging, but the Lee die seems to fix that right up.
Why does everybody ask me these questions AFTER I lock up my reloading shed for the night?;)

Bulges? I hope we ain't talking the well known "Glock smilie". I was buying large amounts of 10mm brass from a police practice range when I lived in Illinois, and lots if not all of them used Glocks. I went and invested in a Redding GR-x carbide base sizing die kit and always ran all the brass from that range through it to get rid of those nasty bulges. It comes from the barrel not being fully supported, there is a small gap where the brass can expand past it. The video link I provided below explains it pretty well.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
Why does everybody ask me these questions AFTER I lock up my reloading shed for the night?;)

Bulges? I hope we ain't talking the well known "Glock smilie". I was buying large amounts of 10mm brass from a police practice range when I lived in Illinois, and lots if not all of them used Glocks. I went and invested in a Redding GR-x carbide base sizing die kit and always ran all the brass from that range through it to get rid of those nasty bulges. It comes from the barrel not being fully supported, there is a small gap where the brass can expand past it. The video link I provided below explains it pretty well.

My brass doesn't look like that. It just looks a little swollen.

Now my P64 9x18mm with PPU, THAT leaves smiling brass :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not a hijack at all. Sounds like you and your cousins had a good time despite Grampa's spanking. I suspect the spanking was more for not having "Adult supervision" than anything. Somehow I can picture you being right in the middle saying "Let's use these."
As my Dad would say sounds like yalls Grandpa got to the seat of the problem sounds like a good Grandpa never new mine.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
I read your posts, and I don't mean to ever "hijack" yalls threads, but I remember things. Like this memory could be combined with "reloading bench" and "fisherwoman" and has nothing to do with either post in the context in which yall are posting. Reloading bench...grandpa's reloading bench..me and my older cousins. I was about 13, and assisted those older boys in loading some shotgun shells..with some of grandpa's (not sure correct name) but they were tear drop shaped fishing sinkers or weights. He caught us, as my older cousins were "test firing" into, and destroying an old stump. It was one of the worst spankings any of us ever received. I had helped, and I got it too.
Actually I suppose the old split shot sinkers could easily be used in shotgun shells.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
when I was a little demon around elementary school days. the neighbor kid and I used to go into his father's work shop and get into his reloading stuff. putting primers on the anvil and hitting them with a ball peen hammer was a favorite. fortunately we still have our eyes and we never got caught or our butts would have been real sore. his father used a razor strop for spanking!
I used to put them in where the parachute goes in an Estes rocket and glue the nose cone on. They would go crackle crackle crackle when the parachute charge went off. The hammers were used on railroad torpedoes. My brother almost put his eye out when a piece flew in his face doing it. I thought he looked cool with that eyepatch he had to wear for a couple weeks while it healed.

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
Been working on a load for my 6.5X55 Mauser build. Loaded up four using 129 gr Hornady SSTs and H4350. Now if the weather will co-operate I'll see how they do in comparison to the 120 gr Speer SPs and IMR4895.

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Over the weekend I finished loading my 124g 9mm. That's going to be it for 9mm for a few years.

Since I had the bullseye out, I started replenishing the 38's.

I need to start working on loads for the .450. Seems to be a project for another day...

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
I usually only load 115 grain in my 9mm Lugar, I save 124 for my 357 SIG.
Anyhoo, I am continuing to swap out all my old cardboard ammo boxes for my reloads with new plastic ones. Some of them cardboard boxes have been open and closed so many times the end flaps are tearing ff, some of the cardboard is just bent and deteriorated. I'm also rearranging everything on the shelves by date. Stuff was all mixed up on them. Definitely want to shoot the oldest stuff first. I am continually amazed that the stupid little window air conditioner I bought used at a yard sale for like 15 bucks is still keeping my reloading shed pretty cool after like 3 years, and god only knows how old it was before I got it.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Finished 38’s tonight. I have enough for a few years again, which is a nice feeling.

Planning on doing .357’s next, but haven’t decided. I have 100 cases of .450 bushmaster just begging to be loaded up...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Got out the chronograph Sunday and tested a bunch of reloads.
45ACP target loads. Last season, in a match, I could not knock down one of the steel targets. Even though I'm shooting 185 gr LSWCs - and had never had an issue before - this one steel target would not go down. Even with 10 solid hits high up. Yet the 9 mms other folks were shooting had no trouble. (I do think it was a target malf because is went down after tehy reset) Turns out that my loads are at 850fps and 300ftlbs. So I don't think I need to change anything.

Last gun was the little SP101" in 327 Federal Magnum. The 98gr lead HBWC loads clocked at 950 and a little over 200ftlbs. The standard deviation was 27. This one is a small game load so I think I can dial that back a little. Recoil is no issue but being a full wadcutter, that bullet doesn't need quite that much speed.
The Hornady 85gr XTPs clocked at 1400fps and 370ftlbs. That uses 12.0 gr of ww296.
The 113 gr LSWC gas checked bullets turned in at 1140fps, 325ftlbs, and a 25 std dev.

Folks turn their noses up at the little 327 but it is economical (if there really is such a thing with guns and ammo), it's accurate, and has some phenomenal performance capabilities. But at 45,000 psi max, there is a lot of noise and blast on the upper end.

·
<------------<<<-
4,529 Posts
I put together 100 rounds of 38's with 148gr hbwc and 150 rounds of 357 with 158gr swc. I used W231 for both. Just some plinkers.

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
do what I did.
load up a bunch and give them to your in-laws.
I had the bullets/die set anyway.
dunno why? I never owned or even thought about owning a 40.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
I've had a SIG P229 with a .40 cal. for a LONG time, but I later got turned onto 10mm. I see first hand why the people saying the S&W in .40 Cal. S&W stands for "Short And Weak". The only reason I still have the SIG, is it also has a 357 SIG barrel. Otherwise I might have traded it in for yet another 10mm.

621 - 640 of 2992 Posts