What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    6253B062-9AE5-4A0B-8CBE-0716FFA22F3F.jpeg Went to my go to place and picked up a few supplies. They didn’t have powder I normally like to use for 223, but 748 will do in a pinch. It’s just a bit temp sensitive. Picked up some unique just because it’s versatile. They didn’t have my normal go to, H Universal.

bought a few .32 L and H&R cartridges. Shaved and got a bootleg haircut. Good day feel much better.

aht_six, TXplt, ninwnc and 2 others like this.
  2. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Loaded out the last of the 339 pieces of .223 brass I have on hand. Received 500, .45 cal. Blue Bullets for my .45 ACP's. I'll start on'em tomorrow. 20200513_210708.jpg

aht_six, Huey Rider and jerry like this.

3. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Loaded 142 rounds of .45 ACP. Discovered some of the Winchester brass I have has a crimp on the primer pocket. Also discovered some Blazer brass and some Federal brass with small primer pockets. Nor wanting to have to switch around while loading I just loaded the ones with the large primers.

I'll decap and swage the rest tomorrow, and then do the ones with the small primer pockets. 20200514_220336.jpg

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  4. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Fixed damage on a friends mold. He was going to toss.
    Told him let me try to fix it first.
    A burred sprue plate on a Lee mold, took it off filed and stoned it,then filed and stoned the top of the aluminum blocks. As to fix the gouges that were causing smearing on the mold and flash on the bullet bases. Took them down to vent cut size. Put an extra washer on the sprue plate, to make up for the material I removed, so the screw could tighten.
    Removed a slight bur on one of the cavities. Filed a slight relief (venting taper) in the top between the cavities. So he gets better base fill out. Getting ready to test it now. Bullets may be .002 shorter and a tad lighter, but should cast good now.
    May as well make me a couple hundred semi wad cutters while at it.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. Moroco Mole

Tested my buddies mold. Drops clean, full nice bullets every time. Is a 358 158 grain SWC. Casts to between.3585 and .3595 at156 grain with the Lyman #2 Roto stuff he gave me to test run it with. Pretty consistent.
    I haven't been casting bullets that long myself but have a good mechanical aptitude and have been repairing and servicing different types of molds for years, off and on at my work.
    Think I need to have a sit down with my friend on mold maintenance and use.
    He is a much better, more experienced caster then me.I only have 5 runs under my belt. He is just not mechanical inclined.And not good at caring for his tools.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    OneShotKill and jerry like this.
  6. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

I swagged the Winchester .45 ACP brass that had a crimp, and loaded it out. Switched to small pistol primers and finished loading out the rest of my .45 ACP brass.

My son called and wants to shoot clay targets tomorrow, so, there'll be plenty of hulls that will need reloading.

Moroco Mole and jerry like this.
  7. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I cashed in my bank points yesterday and got a $100 Cabela's gift card. I just ordered a Lyman digital powder system. It should be here in 10 days, or so. Then, I'll start turning out some 30-30's. In the meantime, some 380 testers need to get turned out.

Does anyone here load 380? What are some good powders you've used? I have Acc. #5 and Universal, and that's about it for 380 powders.

blaster, Moroco Mole and jerry like this.
  8. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Got early. Heated up lead pot and got 300gr. 45 caliber Lee mold going. That the one for 45 Colt etc. While the mold was cooling off, load sixty rounds of 45ACP. These rounds were loaded for the match this coming Wednesday.

Yesterday it was getting the Lee mold ready. Also plugged in new hot plate to heat molds. However, the highlight was going into a pawn shop. Came out of the were a NOS extension rear mount for a Ruger Number One. This ring allows setting the scope not having to crawl the stock. Saved some money. Also, busted head.

Now back to the real world. I can no longer hide from the lawnmower.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I loaded 20 rounds of 380 with the Missouri 95gr cast over Accurate #5. I went to the range right away, and they shot well. I'll be reducing the powder charge for the next batch.

jerry likes this.
  10. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NW PA
    working on 200, 357mag all cleaned working on checking the length and then I'll load them out with 158gr SWC

jerry likes this.
  11. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Check our "From Ingot to Target.". It's on the net, You can save money and do some experimenting. You can really tailor your loads.

On the down side you are fiddling an expensive addiction.;) Good luck and best wishes. Hope it works out for you. I was out at daylight casting bullets.

12. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

When I returned from shooting / shooting at, clay targets, I unloaded the truck and cleaned my shotguns. Then I reloaded all the 20 gauge hulls & 115 hulls for 12 gauge. Ran out of boxes to put'em in. Still have 50 to load. Jerry loads his 16 gauge rounds and Nicholas loads the .410 rounds.

I got my photo with the "BRAGGIN' RIGHTS" trophy, but it was a near run thing. Nicholas, my youngest, and I were tied and had to take alternating shots, till one of us missed. We both hit 10 in a row, I hit my 11th clay, and he missed his shot at the 11th clay.

These boys are gettin' pretty good at this clay target thing. <G> But we all love doin' it, and spending time together. bustin clays.jpg

13. Moroco Mole

Will do. Thanks

14. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

Emmett.
    you could just talk to the writers of those articles.
    it's not like you don't read what they write most every day.

Junction15 and Moroco Mole like this.
  15. Moroco Mole

Ye, I know I got connections. Just trying to be polite is all. Besides might be something in their Articles they forgot to tell me, or Maybe put another way. ;)

Junction15 likes this.
  16. Moroco Mole

Oh Silluette club, I have already read most of that stuff. Brad directed me there some time ago. Very informative.:cool::usa2:

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Junction15 likes this.
  17. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Shutting down for the evening. Finished out 185 rounds of 45ACP. Made a small run of the Lee 300gr. 45 bullet. Looks like the mold will make good bullets. Decided to work on casting for 10mm and 40S&W. Just about ready to make 44 caliber hollow points with the M&P mold. Being retired allows time for all this. Retirement is like a long underfunded vacation. :rolleyes:

One of my favorites of getting going on a project is do a search on Cast Boolits forum. There are sources for the black powder cartridge-ASSRA forum. These two forums have low Tolerance for BS.
    It's past my bedtime. Take care and be safe.

OneShotKill likes this.
  18. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

de-primed, re-sized, flared and re-primed 272 pieces of .40 S&W br4ass waiting for an order of 180 gr plated bullets to come.
    threw about a pint of .32acp brass in a tumbler.

jerry likes this.
  19. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Got bored prepping .45’s back on prepping 06’s

20. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I got my home made wet tumbler working now I need to figure out a way to dry them.

98105936_10158418730114813_5748604045392609280_n.jpg

jerry likes this.