What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

throw e'm in the dry tumbler.
    they will dry in the same amount of time as the second batch of wet takes to clean.

2. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

I am new to casting, so sights like the Silluette club and Cast Boolets have been good sources of information to me.
    I have also wondered accidentally on a great group of mentors. Found my first one hear. The starter of this thread Gandog56. He passed away about a year ago from cancer. Old Gandy Smith will be missed.

You are totally right. Research, research, that is a big part of success. Especially in today's word of casting, loading and shooting.
    The sources you recommend are very educational and not just someone blowing smoke. Plus their are a lot of more experienced people like yourself to draw from.
    I often wonder how difficult it must have been in some of those guys shoes to have made the advances they did when the internet was not there to google something and pull up so many ideas on the subject.
    I know myself I thought about get into into casting and loading pre internet and could not find a reliable source, let alone even knew loading books existed. So the only thing I ever "loaded" for years was my smoke pole.

Today I am just loading up some (about 35 or so)wad cutters over red dot.Going to go shoot them with my boy after we
    get some work done around here

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Mowgli T. and Huey Rider like this.

3. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Main project today is getting ready to load 40 S&W with 175gr. bullets. There's bunch of brass that's already been through the push through die. I'm gonna cast enough to do some work on 10mm.

I got my homemade 03A3 out to do some lead bullet shooting. I'm getting gear together to shoot the 30 caliber magnums with jacket bullets. This will take me awhile to get all this done. You can get a bunch done chipping away daily. Actually, that's true of most things in this life. Take care and be safe.

TXplt and Moroco Mole like this.
  4. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Worked about an hour and cleaned the primer pockets on the rest of my .45 ACP’s.

jerry and TXplt like this.
  5. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

Spent a very entertaining day with an ex-pat Brit shooting buddy. (he's a retired Maritime Chief Engineer and a S*#T hot marine diesel mechanic) He's been saving brass from his .223 and .308, this past week I ran about 1K .223 thru my tumbler.
    Today we sized, de primed, cleaned and re primed 100 cases, then after load and bullet selection, we used up some of my leftover small quantities of bullets, various weights, powder, several kinds, doing the lookup/workup for each combination, as well as some hands on with a balance beam scale / powder measure and my electronic scale and auto charge drop production set up.

Next Sunday morning, he will get the warm fuzzy of shooting his first reloads.

A couple of rounds of top shelf single malt, and a good day was complete...
    Paul

jerry, TXplt and Huey Rider like this.
  6. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It is that time of year. The Brown Bears are waking up even grouchier. We had a fellow wounded badly near here last week. The Grizz left him near death with a broken neck. My son and I are loading "Bear Killer", rounds for our 10MM pistols.:usa2:

jerry, TXplt, ninwnc and 3 others like this.
  7. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I wandered into a reloading store looking for a good buy in 5744. Look what I left with. 20200519_111220.jpg

8. All those goodies and I'm not seeing any 5744. lol Though I kinda resemble that, I went to the gunshop in White Sulphur Springs, WV looking for some RL15, ended up with a Remington Model 34 and no powder. Dad laughed at me and confiscated the rifle.

jerry, Mowgli T. and austinjoe13 like this.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

loaded up 174 pieces of already primed 10mm brass with 200 gr fmj bullets and 9 gr. of Long Shot. threw a bunch more fired 10mm cases in a tumbler and a bunch of 300 Black Out cases in another tumbler.

jerry, Jim Bridger and TXplt like this.
  10. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Yep, tried to find 5744. Sportsman had some for $40.00. The place were I got the haul was only $37.00. I use this often. I'm looking for an alternative. I got serious sticker shock.

jerry likes this.
  11. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I'm gonna do something. I don't know what yet, but something is getting done on that bench.

jerry likes this.
  12. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

It's raining here with flash flood warnings. Got wet running errands for the shop and wet again between the truck and garage. Made it through loading 16 rounds of 8 mm Mauser before I decided to head inside where it is warm.

jerry and Mowgli T. like this.
  13. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I have 20 pieces of 30-30 brass ready to be loaded with some cast bullets from Missouri. Once those were done, I did some more trimming. I'll be trying to get everything trimmed up before I monkey with the trimmer again.

TXplt, jerry and blaster like this.
  14. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Early this morning finished getting the 550 put back together. No real problems except owner had lubed the primer feed and main shaft with a heavy grease. No missing or broken parts. Plans are to load 40 S&W first up. My original machine was so old it would not take the cartridge ejector. I'm on the edge of my seating waiting for the wheels to come off.

TXplt and jerry like this.
  15. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    I have put them in a heavy military laundry bag and put them in a dryer for a few minutes. Makes a racket, so best when the wife is gone.

jerry likes this.
  16. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Ran some Gas checked bullets thru the sizer for a load work up on 30 06.
    Plan on Powder coating them maybey tomorrow. Ben playing with small batches tweaking them for the 06.
    Got to go to work tonight 4 12 hr days on so won't be doing too much on the bench.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    TXplt and jerry like this.
  17. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hey Mike! Are you going to get a 10MM? :D:D

jerry and blaster like this.
  18. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

My boys came down today. We set up in the garage and loaded some .410 & 16 gauge shotgun shells. I loaded the rest of the 50 rounds of 8mm Mauser & 50 rounds of 22-250. Stayed busy for several hours. About the only thing I have left to load, is 50 more rounds of 22-250.

Need to get in some trigger time, as soon as it stops rainin'.

TXplt, jerry and Mowgli T. like this.
  19. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Was worn out after the handgun match. Got moving in the early evening. Doing some home work it looks like Shooters World Buffalo powder may work very well for a substitute for Accurate 5744. Oh, happy day!

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  20. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

you trying to make me feel bad for only having two?:p

Jim Bridger and jerry like this.