What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Experimenting
    I’m not a big fan of digging cob from primer flash holes.
    I have a prospector type sifting pan for brass.
    I drilled a hole through the center of it and slide it over the threads where the lid goes on.
    It helps get the cob out and Is aggressive enough to get about 90% of the cob out of the flash holes. In a batch like this I pick out maybe 10 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Rocky7, ninwnc, Moroco Mole and 2 others like this.
  2. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Great idea, jerry. I’m going to have to give that a try!

Rocky7 and jerry like this.

3. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I got the Lyman powder dispenser yesterday, and I tried it out today. It will do! I measured charges against my RCBS beam scale, and the weights were the same. I did 20 rounds of 30-30 with H4895, and it was great. My only complaint so far is the beeping. The thing beeps when it is done dispensing, and it's loud. I'll have to find the speaker holes and tape over them to see if that helps.

Rocky7 and jerry like this.
  4. jerry

USA
    The beeping thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Rocky7 likes this.
  5. Been working a batch of 7.62 Tokarev for a friend of mine that I was supposed to do like.....6 years ago....lol

jerry, Mowgli T. and austinjoe13 like this.
  6. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    Things are much better when aged

Rocky7 likes this.
  7. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Today, it's cleaning up after a disastrous bullet casting episode. Nothing major, just one of those times when everything is a half-note off beat. Sometimes the wheels just come off.

Some information is unfolding here on Shooters World powder. Shooter's World Buffalo is accepted as performing like 5744. The Heavy Pistol power performs like Accurate #9. The Shooters World information on the net clears up data questions. It does not take long to set up to load some 44 Magnum's with 210 gr. gas check bullets. Accurate #9 is a personal favorite.We'll see.

While buying the SW powder found a set of 1970's vintage RCBS 357 non-carbide dies. These go along with the same in recently acquired RCBS 38 Special dies. The idea is to have dies that resize to cartridge shape. There was an old idea this was a better way to load 38 Special wadcutter match loads. We'll see. I was kidding with the clerk that those does dies were older the he was. It was no joke by a couple of years.

jerry likes this.
  8. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just love rubbing your fur backwards.:p
    Did I tell you I bought 2 S&W 10MM pistols. A 1006 and a 1026. My son found 4 pounds of Blue Dot in Salt Lake City. I can keep the Desert sand flying this summer.:usa2:

9. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Well, so far the day has been uneventful. It is, however, early. The reloading log needs to be updated for last nights efforts. Got the new Dillon going without incident. Ran 130 rounds of 40S&W. If the weather clears I'll finish up casting the 175gr. Lyman bullet for this round. The 40cal loads for today are a starting load of Power Pistol with the Lyman bullet. I'm headed for the range to shoot up some of the 40 cal. rounds. Take care and be safe.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    jerry likes this.
  10. Finished up the 7.62 Tokarev rounds last night. Now I gotta get time to hit the UPS store.

jerry likes this.
  11. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

Those 30-30's I loaded up are a blast! Accurate, too! At 50 yards with irons, I shot a 1-1.5" group. Recoil was hardly there.

blaster and jerry like this.
  12. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Loaded some .22-250 with IMR-4064, and ran out of it. Then loaded some, .22-250 with H-414, and ran out of it. Went to the local gun shop with a list of 5 different powders. They are out of them all. Well, NC has gone to phase 2 of the stay at home order, so some of the other places are open now. Gon'na do some gunpowder shoppin' tomorrow.

Well, I evidently didn't hit the POST icon yesterday, so I'll just continue...

Went to a different gun shop this morning and got 4 of the 5 powders I was lookin' for. Came home and loaded some .30-06 for the M1 Garand. Put'em on enbloc clips and stowed'em in ammo boxes.

Rocky7, Mowgli T. and jerry like this.
  13. jerry

USA
    Not lookin for specifics, what’s your go to Garand powder? Mine is H4895

aht_six likes this.
  14. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Jerry: Same here. I loaded 48.5 grains with 150 grain fmjbt bullets. I haven't tried to work up an accuracy load for it, I have to shoot with my reading glasses on to see the sights. This load keeps'em in a six inch circle at 100 yards, with me on the trigger, so it works for me.

jerry likes this.
  15. jerry

USA
    47 grains is the sweet spot on mine and is pretty easy on the old girl. I understand the happiness of the 6” group at 100. A lot of rounds have gone down her 1943 barrel.

Mowgli T. and aht_six like this.
  16. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Another clean up mess day. In the mix is loading either 300WSM or 300 WinMag with 165gr. Sierra bullets. Powder will be RL-19. Use these rounds to bark squirrels. The 40 S&W reloads worked great during a short test of functioning. Hope to do some chronographing with non-functioning unit from Caldwell. Just raw data. Looks like unit will not work on Android phone. This is a heads up. If I could afford an I-Phone I would not be using a Caldwell. It would be radar.

OneShotKill, Moroco Mole and jerry like this.
  17. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Another fine mess today. Plans were to load samples of 300 WSM and 300 WinMag. Had another neck split with Winchester brand 300 WSM brass. I found some once fired by me 300 WinMag Federal brass. Planned on using that brass until I found the primers were loose. Finally, did get the cartridges loaded. Broke my heart to toss more Federal magnum brass.

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

IMG_20200524_151733421.jpg
    Just PC, a few bore riders playing with fitment for my 06. Got the nose bumped up from. 301 to .304.
    Base is sized at .311, should be a perfect fit the Savage.
    Now to find time to load them up.
    If they work well. Then it will be time to duplicate the process with a couple hundred more.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    OneShotKill, Mowgli T. and Huey Rider like this.
  19. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Sized approximately 500 .38 Special cases, and got the primer pockets cleaned on around 250+/- .

And that ladies and gents is enough for this afternoon.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  20. D Crockett

D Crockett G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Florida
    well I did not actually touch my press with my hands but what I did will eventually get on there I cast cores to make to make 44mag/spl projectiles with made about 1000 of them there is a lot of steps in this swageing thing. but being stuck at home I can not think of a better thing to do with my close on and that is what I did on 5/24/2020 D Crockett

jerry likes this.