What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    Stickman what is your setup?

2. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Today was kinda busy. Did some chores around here. New cable came from Battenfield Tech for the chronograph. Chronograph did not work. Packed unit for the for the trip back home.

Called RCBS and got two snap ring retainers for the shell holder in RC and in old RCBS priming tool. Bought a jar of Shooters World Buffalo powder to sub for Accurate 5744.

After working around home tomorrow some time will be set aside to load some lead bullet 308's. Ordered a Dillion conversion for the 550 for 308.

The plague test was negative. Not show any symptoms but want to avoid any second wave of this stuff. I'm at risk several ways for the crap.

OneShotKill likes this.

3. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the .40 cast 180 gr. bullets I ordered from Missouri Bullets came today. so I loaded 272 pieces of primed .40 S&W brass I had with them and 5.4 grs of Bullseye.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  4. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

I've got a Lee melting pot and two different molds, one is from Lyman and the other is Lee.

I've got about 10 pounds of lead from an old sailboat keel.

5. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana

About the same setup I have found the temp for the pot about 780deg on my thermometer and have to run the mold a lot hotter than I thought I needed to lots of 45 colt lots of fun.

Stickman likes this.
  6. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    There is only one rule in casting bullets, wear long pants, wear shoes or boots, do not have any water or liquid near the pot and do not spill any hot lead and keep the dog and kids out of the area, do not breathe the fumes, then all is well. Every bullet that does not come out perfect, just goes back in the pot, so never any real loss. Oh yea, only use pure lead, if you try wheel weights or alloys, they can be really hard to load and nearly impossible to pull out if that should ever be an issue, if you shoot enough it will. I killed my first black powder deer with a bullet I cast, prolly no big deal, but it was a pride deal for me, simple pleasures.
    Enjoy.

Mowgli T., Moroco Mole and Stickman like this.
  7. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Crazy Making: OS covered it like an umbrella as in left no stone unturned. Having oil or grease in the mold is crazy making. It's possible to be fooled into thinking the lead and/or mold is not up to temperature. Bullets look somewhat like being wrinkled. Brake parts clearer is generally the answer. If it happens while you are casting it take pouring bullets until it goes away. The lube or what ever is burned away. PIA. Most thermostats in ordinary lead pots are not exactly precision instruments.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  8. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Spent most of the afternoon cleaning the bore on a Mauser I acquired recently. But I did manage to load 100 rounds of 9 mm. Ran out'ta AutoComp gunpowder. That's the only one I have for 9 mm Luger rounds. I may make a run tomorrow and find some more.

9. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    It was a good day having gotten some of the basic work done on the work bench. Mounted the new previously owned 550 on the bench. Ran sixty rounds of 40 S&W to make sure all was well. The old fail safe activating rod for the powder measure was bent. Swapped out the bent rod for a new one. Will fix the bent one later on. Decided on what was doing to the swap meet. Top of the list is a Co-Ax press. The new old 550 ran like a top. :D

10. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

My neighbor gave me about a thousand pieces of crimped 5.56 brass last december and I just got around to yanking the primers and cleaning them. Maybe I won't let another 5 months go by before I deal with the crimps.

TXplt, jerry and Rocky7 like this.
  11. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Central AZ
    My wife has crimps occasionally, but they don't last five months, and I couldn't tell you what she takes to deal with them.

12. Mindy up North

download.gif

Huey Rider, goat roper, TXplt and 5 others like this.
  13. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Am I a Hoarder?::eek: Some more clean up today. The task for the day for the reloading is moving stuff. I getting stuff together for an upcoming trade day. This stuff includes two presses, scales, powder measures and some dies. The Co-Ax is going. I just don't care about the Co-Ax anymore. The love affair has been over for decades. :rolleyes: It's OK to sell one of the five Uniflows.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  14. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

IMG_20200530_145504499.jpg Putting my. 223 into color coded strippers by bullet weight and load so I can store them all in 1 ammo box.

15. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Ok, I ended up with one round left over. Just sitting here staring at it, thinking. Now I am going to have to either load up 9 more or head to the range. It's just unacceptable. I now have 1 lonely round just sitting on top of 270 organized ones.

Stickman, austinjoe13 and jerry like this.
  16. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I hate them. I have the RCBS swagger. There may be better? Dillon?
    Anyways getting past what an incredible pain they are to process, I still get inconsistent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

blaster and Mindy up North like this.
  17. Mindy up North

I bought a Dillon for this particular purpose... Probably won't use it again after... Lol. I'll let you know how it works out, this is new territory for me.

Moroco Mole, jerry and TXplt like this.
  18. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I have an older Wilson trimmer. The way it works is to put the case in a holder for trimming. Turn the holder around in the trimmer. There is (or was) a reamer the cleans the crimp away. This works for me but the volume of brass is small. I have a Lyman hand reamer to remove the crimp. Again, this is small volume. Both tools do a good job.

I'm headed down to change over to 10mm on the 550.

austinjoe13 and jerry like this.
  19. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I’m not one for giving advice, typically. But may be a good idea to run 20-50 and try priming them before doing the 1k shuffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

20. Mindy up North

Good advice...and indeed welcomed. Took me a while to get it right... It's ready to go now. Thanks!!

OneShotKill and jerry like this.