What Are You Doing On The Reloading Bench Today?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gandog56, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've used the Dillon swager for quite a few crimped 5.56 cases. It works very well with no effort. You just have to be careful that the case is settled in correctly because you can squanch the case head bad enough to seat 2 primers side-by-side.

jerry and Mindy up North like this.
  2. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

When I first started loading 223 I broke 2 Lee de capper rods, depriming. Then cut the primer crimps on around 3000 once shot brass. I used a drill bit in my fingers. Then primed and bagged them all. Did not know a swagger existed. Still got about 1800 left. I can use them over a couple times, plus been picking up non crimped. 223 brass so hopefully it will be a long time before I go thru that again. Bit if I do definitely getting a primer pocket swagger.

jerry and Junction15 like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

there's a quick rubber band hack for the Dillon swager.
    you can find several videos on U-tube.
    I do them one at a time and go by feel, then double check them with a primer pocket tool.
    1-K cases is maybe a couple of hours at most.
    it takes me far longer to champher case mouths than anything else.

Junction15 and Mindy up North like this.
  4. Moroco Mole

Of course, instead of prepping them all. You could just find someone starting out in reloading who knows nothing of crimped primer pockets. Then send them the crimped lake City brass. Just to see if they could figure it out.
    Won't mention any names here. :D

jerry, ninwnc and Mindy up North like this.
  5. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Opened up the garage today and thought I had walked into an oven. Much too hot to reload in there. What with summer just around the corner, it is time to go to plan-B.

Plan-B: move reloading equipment to an air conditioned space. I have a table I got before Christmas in another building. My sons helped me insulate and panel it last fall. They also helped me put an A/C unit in.

So, after firing up the A/C, I moved a couple of presses in today. By the time I finished up all my stuff in there, it was getting downright chilly. loading bench1.jpg

6. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Finished up the first run of 10mm on pre-owned 550. Hopes are to run out to the club and fire a few rounds. Decided not to buy a black rifle now that I have a Dillon 223 conversion.

I remember many years ago a citizen showed us some 223 rounds where the crimp was not removed. Very quickly disposed of the sample. That citizen had installed primers by main strength brute force. Had I tried that the first one would have gone off. Take care and be safe.

Added: In another forum a resident guru inserted himself into a Dillon thread. With pictures, he told all about the Star progressive. It was much superior to the Dillon. Have you ever seen a Star progressive? Don't think so. I owned one briefly. Early morning recovered memory here.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  7. Sized and decapped about 300 rds of .32S&W Long, cleaned the brass in wet tumbler, decapped and sized 150 rds of .30-30 and decapped and sized 150 rds of .303British...

jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  8. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Today: This is where the plunk test trumps cartridge gauges. I headed to the range in the middle of the morning. Weather was great with some breeze. I was alone on the handgun range. The purpose of the trip was to try lead bullets in a Lone Wolf barrel in the G20.3. Rounds were not chambering easily. Finally was able to shoot all the rounds except one. The problem had to do with a minimum chamber with brass fired in a maximum chamber. All the 10mm brass is going through the Redding push through die. The Dillon 550 taper crimp die was readjusted down. The test will be in the shooting. Fiddling with the gun dominated this day. All indications are these loads with Power Pistol themselves will work very well-accuracy was good. Later, a few test rounds plunked very well in the aftermarket LW barrel.

Our resident hen turkey (the bird-not a human) has returned. We have had to stop matches to allow the deer through. Hawks are frequent visitors.

9. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I didn't always chamfer my cases for 45ACP loads, but they don't shave lead when I do. So I bought one of those Hornady case prep gizmos to make that chore easier. I set it up on the right side of my 550 so I pick up a case out of the tray, chamfer it, and slide it in the shell plate. Rinse, repeat. It takes a 2 count on the chamfer bit and I don't know if I'm saving any time that way. But I get into a rhythm and just keep chugging along.

Mowgli T. and Moroco Mole like this.
  10. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

There was an email from Dillon in my mail. What it was about the difficulty of recent related to the pandemic. There were out of blue boxes. Conversions would be shipped in plastic bags.

I know better than to save money on 10mm brass. Some of it was pretty ratty looking. Not paying attention is a good way to get one's butt blown into the bushes.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Loaded another 200 rounds of 9 mm Luger. 20200601_223849.jpg

Moroco Mole likes this.
  12. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Shot 22's with the Monday group. Afterward, tinkered around in the Skunk Works. Finished out running the 10mm brass through the Redding push through die. I think that Redding was the first to come out with widely marketed the push through. Works great. Decided on what gear was going into storage. To many good things under foot. I got this set up to be able to several jobs at the same time. Shortfall is that things get stacked up making the mother of all messes. Not a good situation for many good reasons. That's my problem. Finished setting up the recent 550. Stay safe.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Moroco Mole likes this.
  13. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Finished loading the rest of the PAC 9 mm brass. 443 rounds. Had to switch from AutoComp powder to HS-6. Nobody local has AutoComp on hand. That's goes along with 373 rounds of Winchester brass.

14. Moroco Mole

Shot some of my in development 06 bore rider loads. Nothing spectacular yet but we are seeing patterns. So I am pretty sure of what direction to go with those. Quite possibly a Change of powder, something a little slower on the burn rate list.

15. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Moving stuff is giving me more walking room. Got the old fashioned tumbler going with the 10mm brass. I'm stick with Power Pistol with the 40 and 10mm. Having not used them, I made up a tool head for the 550 with the new to me Lee Deluxe 38/357 dies with the magic bullet seater. Made tentative plans with a friend for cast bullets in our 03A3's. The old guys gather for the Wednesday handgun match. Old fashioned stuff. You know, things people did before the shooting world went crazy.

Txhillbilly likes this.
  16. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I'm cleaning and organizing. I just replenished my stock of brass, bullets, primers and powder. Once I get things organized, I have about 5000 assorted rounds to load. Should keep me busy for a while.

jerry and Txhillbilly like this.
  17. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

Started loading the 9 mm F.C. brass I have on hand. Loaded 264. I weighed the powder about every 10 rounds, since the powder dump is very consistent. Thought I forgot to powder a round, and weighed the finished round. Then I weighed 10 random rounds. The finished rounds weighed from 195.2 down to 188.7. ??? Then I weighed a sampling of brass. It varied greatly. Most was 62.9 to 63.9. Some were 57.3. There are several different F,C, head stamps. Each seems to have it's own weight range.

I separated each piece of brass by its particular markings and continued to load.

jerry, Txhillbilly and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

I've been spending a few hours each day topping off all of my different ammo's in each ammo storage box from 223's to 308's. Depending on the cartridge,I have anywhere from 1 bullet / 1 powder to 6 -7 different bullets / weights using several different powders.
    Since I shoot 3 different 223's, 1 bolt action & 2 AR's, I load a lot of 223 ammo with over 10 different bullets from 55 gr - 77 gr,and use many different powder's with them. I load 100 rounds in each combination for each rifle,and have 6-8 loads for each one.
    Anyway's,I finished up restocking all my different ammo boxes today,and now I can go shoot and hunt for a while without worrying about running out of ammo.

jerry likes this.
  19. Kellen

Kellen G&G Evangelist

Picked up some 7mm Rem Mag brass and Hornady 162-grain SST bullets, so that will be my reloading project tomorrow. Using IMR 4831, should push around 2,900 fps. Also want to try out a new gizmo I picked up, a "belted magnum collet resizing die" from Reloading Technologies (supposedly helps extend life of belted magnum cases up to 20 firings and eliminate bulging above the belt).

jerry, Mowgli T. and Moroco Mole like this.
  20. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Been swapping dies in building up tool heads for the 550. I'm waiting for the brown truck with conversion for 308 and 30-06. Everybody selling our stuff is recovering as collateral damage of the pandemic. I'll be trying out the Shooter's World version of Accurate #9 and 5744. Cast a sample of the Lee 300 grain bullet for the 45 Colt caliber Vaquero's. That undertaking came to a halt when most everybody is sold out of 45 size Gator gas checks. My short barreled Vaquero, my carry gun, is back from Ruger. Those guns for repairs have to be sent by an FFL. That's part of the modern world. Everybody looks at me funny when I talk about my "carry gun". It's a spoof. Kinda.

jerry likes this.