Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a Leveraction for hunting, trying to decide on what caliber, mostly up to 100 yard shots ( but want longer shot capability if I end up travelling to more open areas for hunting), but I want it to do everything (of course), deer to boar and I know my limitations so I want KNOCKDOWN shots not the perfectly placed .22 to take down a boar:09:

I have been researching Marlin and looking at 44mag, 45 LC, 30-30. I know there are a lot of differences.. Will the 44mag limit my range to within 100yds, will the 45 give me more range, does the 30-30 have enough knockdown in case I don't make that "perfect" shot(pretty much a guarantee that I won't!!)?? Is there another caliber that Marlin offers, without getting crazy that would kinda do it all? I am willing to handload, something I have been interested to get into, and I have heard that that can open up possibilities to extend range and knockdown with some of the loads if done correctly....

Kind of a long question, but I am at an impasse now.. and I don't necessarily think that the local gun sellers have as much experience in this area as I might like.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A 30-30 would probably cover your needs. Browning makes lever guns in 308 and 30-06, which might give you more options, and definatly extend the range that you could shoot.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Papa de Trois I Love lever action rifles and my main deer rifle is a Marlin 375 caliber lever action that's no longer available but ammo is. Please Consider a Marlin in 35 Remington caliber it will be better than a 30-30 I'm almost sure you'll love the gun and the 35 cartridge.
Marlin also has a new line of lever action's named the XLR's you can go to there web site and check these out.
Brownings are pricey and designed different there's use's clips and come in more high powered rifle calibers than you can shack a stick at.
Check out a Marlin in 35 Rem, you'll be glad you did and too this would be an excellent gun for wild boar...A.H

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Will you be shooting iron sights or scope? What type of terrain? What is the maximum shot distance you're comfortable with for the terrain?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
For Any terrain including thickets I will recommend the Marlin 1895 in 45/70...You can shoot 300 gr.,350 gr. Bullets, 405 Gr. bullets , and have a very accurate and very reliable gun that will kill anything ! Ranges to 300 yards , medium recoil, Great bullet energy...What more could you want ???
Rich

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I agree wit da Moose, the 45-70 is one of the classic cartridges for NA hunting, and in the quick handling 1895, it makes a helluva combo

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Papa spring for the Marlin in 35 Remington, that 35 slug is deadly. You can shoot just about anything that's legal to hunt with'en the range and more you specified and the recoil want be bad at all...A.H
p.s. There was an outlaw here in So. Ark. that hunted deer year round to sell, he was single for years and he was a oil field welder. He made plenty of money, but he like to poach deer. This guy bought many many rifles of different types and calibers to use or try to hunt illegaly.
When I met him we became friends and he confided in me and told me what he use to do.
I had heard some folks tell of this guy and knew he was telling the truth.
I ask him if he ever had a marlin like mine and he said he did but sold it to someone ,anyway I ask him what was the rifle he was most satisfied with or had settled on and with out hesitating he said a Marlin in 35 Remington because he slipped through the woods and would jump them bedded down yadaya. He also drove around and the gun was easy to handle.
He later married a christian woman and married, he became an outstanding christian man. He's dead now and because of what he told me I have an interest in most all the 35 caliber rifles though I don't own one. My 2 cents...A,H

·
Registered
3 Posts
gunnutjohn

I am in the market for a Leveraction for hunting, trying to decide on what caliber, mostly up to 100 yard shots ( but want longer shot capability if I end up travelling to more open areas for hunting), but I want it to do everything (of course), deer to boar and I know my limitations so I want KNOCKDOWN shots not the perfectly placed .22 to take down a boar:09:

I have been researching Marlin and looking at 44mag, 45 LC, 30-30. I know there are a lot of differences.. Will the 44mag limit my range to within 100yds, will the 45 give me more range, does the 30-30 have enough knockdown in case I don't make that "perfect" shot(pretty much a guarantee that I won't!!)?? Is there another caliber that Marlin offers, without getting crazy that would kinda do it all? I am willing to handload, something I have been interested to get into, and I have heard that that can open up possibilities to extend range and knockdown with some of the loads if done correctly....

Kind of a long question, but I am at an impasse now.. and I don't necessarily think that the local gun sellers have as much experience in this area as I might like.

Thanks in advance for any input.
you might look into a 30-30 carbine. if you pay attention to old stories you might see that the 30-30 is credited with taking just about any game in this country! factor in the new hornady lever- evolution ammo they`re marketing for tube fed lever guns and you could end with a 150 to 200 yard gun capable of taking most game fairly reliably check it out! good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kinda depends on what yer hunting? My dad's gotta ol' Winchester 30-30 lever action he used back in the day for deer. He liked it within 200yds, and brought back a few whitetail and mule in his day. I've been told on more than one occassion that it's more versatile than for just deer. Ya know I read alot of forums, talk to alot of gun dealers, and talk to alot of old timers. They all seem to agree that the 30-30 is a great rifle, kinda like the 30-06 for the all-around, one-rifle guy. Ya know, I listen to those guys and those old timers are old for a reason... they've been around and KNOW what works!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow you guys really are a fount of information... The 30-30 has interested me for a while due to its history and the fact that it is the "old standby"... the .35 interests me because of the added knockdown power...and its not the 30-30 which "everyone" has.(of course there is a reason everyone has it....IT WORKS!)

The 45-70 sounds cool, but I'm wondering if it might be overkill, even though I need all the help I can get nowadays:34:.

Now comes the fun part....deciding and I also need to factor in the possibility of handloading/reloading... would either of those calibers offer more variety of bullet/load combinations to tinker around with? This would be my first foray into handloading. What is a good source of info on how to get started, quality equipment, etc.... (I tend do do a lot of research before I spend my hard earned money)

Thanks for all your help so far...
Papa

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Your first post said you wanted to hunt deer and Boar and you wanted Knockdown power...Thats why I suggested the 45-70 , and since it has more varied bullets and loads available , you can fine tune it to what you are hunting. 30-30's have killed a lot of game, but they lack Knockdown power and they are limited to a couple of thin jacketed bullets, I am not a fan of .35 cals. so I will leave that one alone. I am a big fan of the 45-70 for everything from Alligaters to Grizzly bears , Boar hogs to Buffalo, As one of the oldest cartridges to be chambered in Modern weapons still popular today.
Stay away from the Leverguns chambered for Handgun Cartridges like the .44 mag, the .45 colt, the .357,etc as they are really wimpy for hunting and lose to much energy past 75 yards to be a good choice.Avoid the .444 as well... The 45-70 has Knockdown power with a fat, slow bullet that retains energy like a flywheel does, without sacrificing your Shoulder to a Magnum Kick.
Rich

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Your first post said you wanted to hunt deer and Boar and you wanted Knockdown power...Thats why I suggested the 45-70 , and since it has more varied bullets and loads available , you can fine tune it to what you are hunting. 30-30's have killed a lot of game, but they lack Knockdown power and they are limited to a couple of thin jacketed bullets, I am not a fan of .35 cals. so I will leave that one alone. I am a big fan of the 45-70 for everything from Alligaters to Grizzly bears , Boar hogs to Buffalo, As one of the oldest cartridges to be chambered in Modern weapons still popular today.
Stay away from the Leverguns chambered for Handgun Cartridges like the .44 mag, the .45 colt, the .357,etc as they are really wimpy for hunting and lose to much energy past 75 yards to be a good choice.Avoid the .444 as well... The 45-70 has Knockdown power with a fat, slow bullet that retains energy like a flywheel does, without sacrificing your Shoulder to a Magnum Kick.
Rich
Sounds like we think a lot alike Moose! I love my .30 cals for longer ranges and paper punching but when you're dealing with a mad 400 lb. boar, I want something that will put'em down NOW!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry... as far as terrain goes, mostly semi wooded, with some flat, some ravines, but I want the option of a round that would work in more open spaces if I were to travel to, say, Colorado or montana, wyoming etc......

Would that then push me towards the 45-70?
Papa

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Then buy a Browning BLR leveraction in 300win.mag or other heavyweight caliber and forget the 30-30 or 35 if your going to hunt in Colorado or Montana. I'm done here...A.H

1 - 20 of 29 Posts