Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Crappiest in 38 would probably be either Tula or Blazer aluminum case. That Tula lacquer really gunks up chambers, and sometimes the primers are too hard for revolvers that have had trigger jobs, and Blazer likes to crack in the chambers, and is a terrible choice for lever guns. I love 38, and it has a lot of advantages, but I'm not sure I'd trust either of those ammos in an emergency.

38LC fires in most of the same guns, and the crappiest 38LC I can think of, off the top of my head, is MagTech - and it's "acceptable" at worst.
I was thinking UMC or PMC was the bottom of the barrel. I've never even seen Tula .38 SPC.

·
<------------<<<-
4,437 Posts
I posted this in the wrong thread…

One caliber, but I get the crappiest ammo... Is 50cal round ball cheating? The crappiest 'ammo' would have choppy sprues and air pockets. They're ok enough to shoot as is, but I could also recast them later. Not an ideal set up, but it's a fairly quiet rifle, especially when I only load 50gr of powder. It's got plenty of power for medium game. I would just need several rifles and pistols so I could fight like Mel Gibson, if needed...

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Having a gun shop, I always try to get every caliber in a bargain line, a mid range, and a premium range. Sometimes I get surprised in a good way about the bargain lines (The ammo out of Bosnia and Turkey, and anything PPU makes, for example), other times I find a real turd that is so useless the manufacturer should be brought up on charges.

I don't carry anything that I will not personally shoot (except fancy-pants defensive ammo), so if I get garbage once, I remember that brand.

Several years ago I got some lower-mid-range Israeli .223 ammo that kept blowing primers. It was all from the same lot but some was American Eagle, some was IMI green box, and some was Independence 5.56 (apparently Israeli .223 and 5.56 are either interchangeable, or one or more of these companies were lying). That was just a bad batch of normally good ammo, but I won't buy any Israeli ammo anymore.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I posted this in the wrong thread…

One caliber, but I get the crappiest ammo... Is 50cal round ball cheating? The crappiest 'ammo' would have choppy sprues and air pockets. They're ok enough to shoot as is, but I could also recast them later. Not an ideal set up, but it's a fairly quiet rifle, especially when I only load 50gr of powder. It's got plenty of power for medium game. I would just need several rifles and pistols so I could fight like Mel Gibson, if needed...
Hmm, you can only use Pyrodex, CCI #11 caps, and unswaged cast round balls from a company with "Ol'" or "Sutler" in the name forever. Not a bad choice.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Crappiest in 38 would probably be either Tula or Blazer aluminum case. That Tula lacquer really gunks up chambers, and sometimes the primers are too hard for revolvers that have had trigger jobs, and Blazer likes to crack in the chambers, and is a terrible choice for lever guns. I love 38, and it has a lot of advantages, but I'm not sure I'd trust either of those ammos in an emergency.

38LC fires in most of the same guns, and the crappiest 38LC I can think of, off the top of my head, is MagTech - and it's "acceptable" at worst.
I love Tullamo. I shoot a lot of it in ARs. I have one AR in 7.62X 39 and it lives the stuff very accurate with both the 122 grain and the 154 grain. I have not had any issues with it since they quit making it with lacquer cases, 7-8 years sgo,in years. I also bought ten boxes of the 357 mag cheap and was really surprised. Good stuuf and hot. We shoot it in two lever guns as well as wheel Guns. it was $17 a box of 50 at Academy a while back,everything else was double that. I even reloaded 50 if the cases and they worked fine. I chronographed them and they were hotter than the American white box stuff.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
376 Posts
As in the other thread I would still choose .308/7.62x51. I have two bolt action 308s, a Browning BLR lever action in 308 and and a DPMS ORACLE LR in 308.

My Savage 10 and DPMS ORACLE LR are stamped with 308/7.62x51, so at least two of my rifles could use either/or and I've fired some crappy ammo out of both.

Second choice would be 357/38 Special. I have a Rossi lever action in 357 and several 357 revolvers.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
As in the other thread I would still choose .308/7.62x51. I have two bolt action 308s, a Browning BLR lever action in 308 and and a DPMS ORACLE LR in 308.

My Savage 10 and DPMS ORACLE LR are stamped with 308/7.62x51, so at least two of my rifles could use either/or and I've fired some crappy ammo out of both.

Second choice would be 357/38 Special. I have a Rossi lever action in 357 and several 357 revolvers.
I second you 357 lever gun as a second choice, probably first for me. Same ammo for long and short gun, kiss principle. (Keep it simple stupid-kiss)

I bought four lever action 357s, two for twin grandsons, both Marlins and two Rossis, a 16 and 20 inch and I bought my first center-fire handgun as a gift to myself when I went from E5 to O1 in the Army, you know the drill, big pay raise. Ruger Security Six. Years later I carried a model 19 and 65 in law enforcement, so lots of history with the 357. In my mind any state without grizzlies it makes the most sense. I do not hunt with it, but I know lots of people who kill deer with it.

Anybody in the family can handle it and the little Rossi is only 5 pounds. And of course, 38 Specials work fine in it, and they are quiet. It matters if you are shooting feral chickens from down the road.

400 million Guns in the US, so lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

In your case all those rifles can use both. The .308/7.62x51 situation is the opposite of the 5.56 one. The nato designation specs are lower than the original .308 specs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts