close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What can be doen to accurized the SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by barnetmill, Mar 20, 2002.

1. barnetmill

barnetmill G&G Newbie

MY SKS (Chinese norinco) at fifty yards with russian ammo shoots two well defined groups at 50 yards. The stock appears to be loose allowing some movement of the gun's receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions. The sights are not loose and I do know how to shoot better than that.

A rifle what will not shoot into 3-4 inches at 100 yards might as well be replaced by a shotgun.

2. believe it or not , that was all that was required of the M1 Garand and the M1 carbine... 3-4 MOA was the military standard required for accuracy......
    [​IMG]

3. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

Did you try removing the blade and cleaning rod, made a diffrence with mine. Also maybe a diffrent stock?

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Chech the trigger group / reciever fitting. it is possible to shim the stock so when you have to snap the trigger group/reciever togetherit is a tight fit (as it should be) or perhaps get a diferent stock? that might help as well.
    Question: is the front and rear sight bases tight? No "wiggle"
    What does the crown of the barrel look like?is it smooth and uniform?
    The front of the stock (where it fits into the front ferrule) is it tight?
    Have you tryied shooting with the bayonet extended?
    any changes?
    SKS's are pretty straight forward. as far as accuracy is concerned
    Have you had anyone else shoot it with the same results?
    1 to 3 inches is about as good as the Mark I eyeball can do at 100yds with iron sights.

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Guys if you want the man who can really work on an SKS it's Tony West. Tony did work on a Chinese factory 26 SKS for me about a year ago. 2" at 110yds with Russian hollowpoint, and it came back looking like new. He really restored it well, I just love it. Tony is a Moderator on this site. His username is Tony@WCG. He can do work on juat about any C&R rifle.

Jesse

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Try good commercial ammo. My Yugo shoots 6" @ 100yards with Wolf, 3" with Russian HP in the white box, 1.5" with Remington/UMC FMJ's. Sometimes, you just gotta buy the good stuff.

7. barnetmill

barnetmill G&G Newbie

Thanks for the advice. All of your suggestions and remarks appear to be usefull. Bird Dog I still have got to see a SKS that will do 1.5" at one hundred yards. It must be something. I have printed you replys which I will save for future reference.

8. commanche

commanche G&G Newbie

Barnetmill-Go to www.hanned.com/techsks.html. This is a tech article on glass bedding the SKS that sounds like anyone with moderate mechanical skills can accomplish. The really critical points are the rear area of the action well and the trigger guard assembly. If you've had wide experience in the firearms field,you will no doubt appreciate the benefits of a bedded action. My 59/66 Yugo is going to be the recipient of this same teatment as described in the article. Good Luck!

9. commanche

commanche G&G Newbie

PS to previous post-I owned once a Chinese Fact26 rifle that would shoot within 2MOA,and it had been toted around the Middle East climes for some time. It was heavily stenciled wit Arabic number stencils and the buttplate was worn thru to the wood along the top edge-obviously from being "used" in the way our Arab friends are accustomed to. All kidding aside,it was a super accurate real live combat veteran.

10. barnetmill

barnetmill G&G Newbie

11. I have a 45 Russian. When I got it it was on a plastic folding stock. I shimmed the back, of the receiver, to tighten the action, to the stock. Then, I took a hard Arkansas stone and worked on the hammer and disconnecter to get the creep, out of the trigger. These 2 quick fixes made a big difference in accuracy. If you stone the action parts, be carefull not to change any, of the angles, all you want to do is make them as smooth as possible. Have a good one, ****.