Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make new M1's? It seems that Springfield Armory doesn't anymore. I'm not interested in some worn out parts job or some re-import that will require an expensive rebuild.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
If you are thinking Garand...think CMP.

The CMP Garands that look so tired at the gun shows are the Rack Grades and Field Grades. Get a Service grade or better. You wont be disappointed.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Even a FG CMP Garand will shoot perfectly for most people's lifetime.. They're inspected by CMP to work perfectly, and in the rare case that it doesn't, CMP will make it do so with nothing more than a phone call.

AND, if you ever decide to start shooting matches, you're already set with a match legal rifle. A word of warning.. Garands and matches are addictive.. I'll see several Junkies on Oct. 3rd..

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm already becoming an addict. We have a local match with 22's : prone @ 50 yds., 100yds., and 200 yds. The 200 yd match seperates the men from the boys :) We are contemplating an any military rifle match this winter wearing snow shoes and doing laps around the parking lot between targets. ( battle field conditions)

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
We did that in Febuary of this year.. Dubbed the Frozen Chosin match.. We even had a old war vet and survivor of the Frozen Chosin (Robbie Rogers) that was our guest of honor for the match.. http://www.homeofheroes.com/brotherhood/chosin.html

He told us a few stories about what they went through before we started shooting.. Sadly, that evening he passed away in his sleep..

There's some photos on the website.. Beloit Rifle Club Unfortunately, you have to look through them all, or look for some of the little pictures that show white (snow) in them.. The site sucks, but since I'm not in charge of it, I can't change it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But you were laying on a plastic tarp. We plan on down in the snow. LOL

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Yeah, I think it was just habit.. Everyone did a nice job of keeping the snow off the tarp, though..

·
Registered
1 Posts
DGR - Dean's Gun Restorations

DGR builds a really good rifle and you can speak directly to Dean and get the options (Barrel, Stock, etc.) you want. He's been in business for over 20 years and knows what this beauty of WWII needs. Check out the website at:

I also saw this today regrding their prices.

DGR has lowered prices but not quality on many of the services we offer.
1) Parkerizing: Due to customer requests we eliminated the written tech inspections and related expense with Parkerizing jobs. Dean will still inspect the rifle and note to the customer anything that needs attention, but no longer will a written tech inspection be automatically included. It is now an option that customers can request.
2) Package Deal: All of our package deals that usually include new stock sets with DGR fitting and hand rubbed oil finishes, new Parkerizing, and new barrel in complete package deals.
3) Rifle Stock Sets: DGR has always supplied high quality stock sets in a variety of woods. But recently we changed suppliers which brought costs back to within reason. While at present the types of woods is slightly less, the quality and DGR’s custom finishing remain the best in the industry.

DGR is the industry leader when it comes to custom finishes, attention to details and reasonable prices.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Get one from the CMP. With the money you save over buying a "new" one, you can buy several hundred rounds of .30-06.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Shuffs Parkerizing does just as good a job as DGR if not better and doesnt charge near as much Pricing
No one has a 5 day turn around like him.
He doesnt nickle and dime you for every extra. He will look rifle over and tell you if something is out of spec.
He has reparked 3 rifles for me and I wouldnt go anywhere else.
He can also do trigger work, lap bolt, install barrels

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
The two H&R's I recently received from the CMP were near perfect. Only a touch of carbon on the op-rod piston, and the metal was PERFECT. These were the Service grade at $618 shipped. You could go one step better the collectors and the total rifle would be near perfect. If you don't go CMP, you don't know what you are missing. Those photos were right out of the box, no clean-up, so the stock has 50 yrs of grime on it. Should wipe off and BLO to a nice finish.

Attachments

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
I was at the CMP South Store on Thursday and the HRA and SA Service Grades were UNBELIEVABLE!! 3 of the HRA SG's looked like they could have easily been Special Grade rifles, with no wear showing anywhere.. Barrels were almost unused, with new wood and perfect parkerizing everywhere!!

They were better than a "new" Garand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i looked at an M1a1 by SOG .308 to much $$ for me plastic stock just didnt feel right would rather have a beat up old M1 (wife got me one for fathers day 8 years ago ) then a new one. mines not beat up some one loved it before me but she still feels good and hits the mark (low and left at 200)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. I just checked again on the CMP site and discovered that my local rifle club is not part of the CMP program. I am going to contact some of the club directors and find out why? We are an NRA affiliate.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
If it's for purchasing a rifle, just join the Garand Collectors Association. $25 a year, and a good magazine is included. Does the same thing as being a member of a CMP affiliated club.. GCA will send your membership info to CMP as soon as you pay for the membership, and then you're good to go and order.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I appreciate this conversation as I am planning on taking a temporary hiatus from building rifles in couple months to purchase what will be my first Garand, a couple of my friends swear by the M14 or M1A but for some reason along with value I am pulled to the Garand over the other.
I have not joined CMP as of yet, I am C&R, I am a Veteran, I need to renew my NRA and I will more than likely join the GCA, but I think one of the things that slows some guys is what slows me from wanting to get my Garand through CMP right away is the wait, the reason I would want to join them is the same reason I wanted my C&R was to have a purchase advantage, as hard as I work for my money waiting for a rifle delivery after all the qual has been decided is kind of stressful, that may be ok with the rest of the Garands I would purchase "just being honest" but waiting an entire season for a delivery is kind of hard, not so bad if I already had one or two but that first one better be here within a week after payment.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Buddymack,
Your C and R gets your eligibilty done for the shooting requirement of CMP, and as soon as you join GCA, they'll send the info to CMP to complete the other requirement..

Currently, the wait is very short. I think most rifles are being shipped within two weeks of CMP getting the order, or so I'm told.

They'll get your paperwork/payment and send you an email telling you that they've received the order. You're not charged until the rifle ships, and they're sent out Fed Ex Next Day Air, signature required. Right now, they're shipped in a really nice CMP hard case, that's inside a cardboard box.

They just started offering Winchester Service Grades, and I think a few people have ordered them, but I think they're still pretty well caught up on rifle shipments.

Order a SA or HRA Service Grade for $595 and you'll be very happy with your purchase. And if there's even a remote issue with the rifle, the customer service at CMP is second to none, and they'll do whatever's needed to make it right and you happy.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
I got one last month, and it only took 22 days. They don't chage your card till they are ready to ship.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks guys that is nice to know, I was only going off what I was reading a couple months ago.
One thing nice about having a C&R, the Garand qualifies so that also pushes me closer to it also.
It is nice that they don't charge the credit card until shipping but I am one of those "out of sight out of mind" types with money like this, if it is out of my wifes sight, I don't mind.
Well when it comes to guns anyway!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts