Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Even if you didnt have a C&R license it would still be shipped directly to you.
Since you are a Veteran that fullfils the firearms handling portion or requirements. If you belong to a Veterans organization, VFW ,etc that fullfills the Club Membership portion, you are good to go.
Dont woory about mail order from CMP, I have made purchases from them many times. If there is ever a problem they take care of it. I suggest you order a Service Grade or better
Heres just a few that I have aquired from CMP over the years

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Your C and R and your Veteran status both qualify you.. GCA and some other collector clubs also qualify the membership issue. I think the one Carbine club is $10 cheaper, but I have to admit, I like reading the GCA magazine.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Paper
If he is a member of a Veterans Organization he is already covered

The M1 Collecotors is $14.00 per year and runs for a whole year unlike the GCA which runs Sept- Sept no matter when you join.
No fancy quarterly mag but they do have a newsletter. If ya need acheap membership this is the way I would go. JMO

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just sent in my membership app for GCA today. What are the recomendations for an M1? Service grade or Service grade special? The "special" is 50% more $ at 895 but I'm kind of picky about my guns. Since I'm 69 I don't have to meet the CMP active shooter requirement. Should I consider the Greek ammo? I've heard it is pretty nice stuff.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
It's all about what you want and how much you want to spend. The specials are just like new, and are darned close to perfect, but they come with new wood and lack the character of a used weapon..

Service Grade might or might not come with new wood.. But either would make a fine gun.

I'm both cheap, and I like the older wood.. So I pick out Field Grades out of the rack and refinish the stocks to make them better, but not new. But that's me..

Oh, and the Greek ammo is just fine.. Buy a bunch!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I agree with Paper on this one. I would rather have a rifle with USGI wood.
The Specials have new commerical wood with a new commercial barrel.
If you are just going to shoot informally I would go with the Service Grade
If you are going to do some serious match shooting ,maybe go with the Special.
If you go with the Service Grade and want USGI you can include a note with the order and ask for it. Doesnt mean you will get it but doesnt hurt to ask. JMO

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, I was worried about the "hair line cracks" that may be on the service grade guns. If they are at the rear of the receiver that could be a problem. The some metal parts may have some pitting thing was a concern too. With my luck of the draw, I'd get one with a split birch stock and had been used as a pry bar or boat anchor at some point. :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the feed back. I can't hardly wait to be able to get my order in.

Has anyone had any experience with the Greek ammo they are selling currently?

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. I can't hardly wait to be able to get my order in.

Has anyone had any experience with the Greek ammo they are selling currently?
Service Grade rifles are better than what they describe, and if you're not even remotely happy, they'll do everything to make you happy.. That goes from replacing the stock and replacing the entire rifle, if needed!! You won't find a service grade rifle with pitting.. If you did, they'd replace it (all on their dime, too)

Almost everyone I know is currently shooting the Greek ammo that CMP sells, including myself. It's good stuff.. I'll be going by the South Store next Friday and plan on grabbing a 400 round can of it on the way through. They've been selling it for years and it's pretty much what everyone shoots, with excellent results.

At my club, you can borrow one of the Club's rifles for CMP shoots, and the only ammo allowed to fire in those guns is the Greek ammo. The club sells 60 rounds for $20. 10 rounds to sight in (all the guns are already sighted in) and 50 rounds for the match.. I'm using the same ammo for matches, too..

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As far as available surplus its about the only game in town. Its decent, non corrosive ammo. Alittle on the dirty side but still worth it. Stock up on it as it wont be around forever

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As far as available surplus its about the only game in town. Its decent, non corrosive ammo. Alittle on the dirty side but still worth it. Stock up on it as it wont be around forever
Thanks
CMP describes it as magnetic, is this the cartridge case (steel cases)or the bullet?

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Bullet is magnetic, lead core, but a steel jacket with copper washing. The cases are brass and are reloadable.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
Bullet is magnetic, lead core, but a steel jacket with copper washing. The cases are brass and are reloadable.
You sure?? I though they were steel core with copper jacket. That's what most military rounds I've found to be. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not what I would have guessed.

My super magnets aren't overly interested in the tip, but just down into the core area they're sticky as heck.. Again, leading me to believe they're steel core..

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
I'm positive. Lead core. They are not armor piercing, and the U.S. and Greeks did not use mild steel cores in their ball ammo. Cut one in half with a good set of snips, or sharp chisel, or a hacksaw! If you can separate some of the core, you will see it is just that is drawing the magnet.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
I'm positive. Lead core. They are not armor piercing, and the U.S. and Greeks did not use mild steel cores in their ball ammo. Cut one in half with a good set of snips, or sharp chisel, or a hacksaw! If you can separate some of the core, you will see it is just that is drawing the magnet.

Aww.. Now I'll have to pull a bullet and check.. I scratched the outside of a bullet down quite a ways and it was copper for as far as I scratched... Anyway, I wasn't saying you were wrong, but just questioning if you were right. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Even if you didnt have a C&R license it would still be shipped directly to you.
Since you are a Veteran that fullfils the firearms handling portion or requirements. If you belong to a Veterans organization, VFW ,etc that fullfills the Club Membership portion, you are good to go.
Dont woory about mail order from CMP, I have made purchases from them many times. If there is ever a problem they take care of it. I suggest you order a Service Grade or better
Heres just a few that I have aquired from CMP over the years
Man that's a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first Garand came from CMP. I ordered a Correct grade and it looks brand new. After I got all the cosmoline cleaned off, it looks like it has never been rebuilt or seen much if any use. Now I'm hooked. Just received a CMP WRA Garand. Not as nice but still love it. You get to hold a piece of history. You have to wait a while to receive a CMP rifle but it worth it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts