Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The reason I do not use FMJ ammo is simple, In many cases it has over penetrated and has hit innocent bystanders.

The reason I carry the caliber I do is because of it's reputation as a sound self defense round.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I carry The .45 acp with 117 gr. Aguila ICQ ammunition, because it is the lightest bullet available that is very accurate and functions in my gun. When I am in fear of my life or the People around me , I want to be able to hit what I shoot at and stop the threat as fast as possible without risking overpenetration and Incidental Injury to a Bystander...
But why did you shoot him 8 times ?

That is all the ammo I had with me !

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It is easy to see then that your choice of ammunition was based on your desire to inflict as much damage as you can with each shot fired. It is also obvious that this was pre-meditated.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
It is easy to see then that your choice of ammunition was based on your desire to inflict as much damage as you can with each shot fired. It is also obvious that this was pre-meditated.

"I don't see how anyone could view a man walking to his car and being confronted by an armed stranger as a premeditated event. It is a fact that criminals carry guns. It is also a fact that a gun carrying criminal has the power, and motivation, to kill anyone in this room that they may catch in a vulnerable position. I carried a gun that day to make myself less vulnerable.

Had I been unarmed, or even carried less powerful ammunition you wouldn't be trying me here today. No, you wouldn't have an honest and innocent man on this stand. You would have a criminal, who used a stolen weapon to kill a man before doing whatever he wanted to his wife and children here today, and my grandparents, my father, my wifes parents and grandparents would be sitting over there crying today, not that poor woman.

I'm sorry ma'm. I did what I had to do, for my children."

OOC - I think I get too into this, lol. I realize that there could have been 3-10 unarmed people and I could have known one of them and shot any number of them, and been alone. I'm just going with the 'most likely' scenario in which I would shoot another person.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Remington Golden Saber
Speer Gold-Dot

Either in 9mm. Soon to be (I hope) .40SW

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,105 Posts
Ref. the post in the 357 section I don't make ammo decisions based on legal "what ifs" any more than I live my life this way (and I DON'T live my life in worry about our legal process). I figure the best thing to do is make the best decision upon the available information of what makes sense and let the chips fall where they may.

So's I'm NOT politically correct in any way either !!! I figger Nazi Germany was probably the epitome of political correctness

I use good quality factory ammo for my CCW and home defense guns.

For me, this has meant the Winchester Supreme Elite bonded (180s) for the .40 and 230 gr. for the .45's. I also use their .45 Colt load in the Judge or its variants.

In 12 Gauge I use 00 Buck. In 20 Gauge I alternate #4 Buck (the only buckshot load I can find) with slugs. Sometimes I use the Winchester PDX load in the 12 gauge which has slug and 3 000 buck if on the farm.

For my Judges/public Defender I load them with the Winchester PDX, .45 Colt, Federal 4-pellet 000 buckshot, .45 Colt, and Winchester PDX (the one with the BBs and Defense Disks). I figure this is about as good a load as it gets for general purpose use.

Although I use JHP's in my 45's I believe someone could use FMJ or LRN or SWC non-HP's just fine in this caliber because due to its surface area it tends not to overpenetrate with FMJ ammo like a .38 might do with a LRN. If you have a .45 which doesn't like HPs I'd feel OK about using FMJs in it.

If I'm recommending a load for a judge/public defender to someone with limited proficiency with firearms I go with 5 of the Winchester PDX loads (or throw a Federal 000 in there somewhere).

In .38 Super I use the Cor Bon Pow-R-Ball. It feeds reliably and is very high velocity.

In .380 I use the Buffalo Bore +P JHP.

In .38 I favor the +P 110 gr Critical defense--it shoots to POA and is very accurate in my snubbies. Alternatively good loads are made in the 130 PDX, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, Double Tap, or the 158gr LSWHP +P (buffalo bore makes a hot load here). But the 158's don't shoot well in my snubbies for some reason.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I use Golden Saber in all my guns but my .45 Millennium. For the short barrel .45 I like FMJ and I shoot S&B. Golden Saber just shoots well to me. I have shot several different calibers in the dark and they have little muzzle flash. Very reliable and every test I have seen done show they open up well and stay together.

I have never seen Golden Sabers in .44 Magnum. I don't know if they are available. I use Hornady in that. I am looking at another brand for ,44 Magnum. I was told by a defense attorney the fact that Hornady's says "Accurate, DEADLY, Dependable" on the box could play wrong in court if you ever had to shoot someone.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Golden Saber in my 45, XTP in my 9mm. I hand load all my own ammunition and if I ever have to defend myself to the courts i will just be glad I live in a state that protects people who protect themselves.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Golden Saber in my 45, XTP in my 9mm. I hand load all my own ammunition and if I ever have to defend myself to the courts i will just be glad I live in a state that protects people who protect themselves.

Amen!

The general attitude of LE and the DAs round here is 'one less criminal'.

God bless Dixie!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
9mm I have Winchester PDX1 bonded loaded up, my EDC .40 I have Remington UMC JHP's.

Because they both feed and fire reliably in that particular firearm.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use JHPs because they are much less likely to over penetrate and injure bystanders than FMJ. Should I (God forbid) ever need to fire on an assailant, I want all the energy from the round staying in the bad guy.

Doc

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
And why do you shoot that particular ammo ?? Imagine you were involved in a shooting and you were being asked this by a prosecutor. What would your answer be ??
Truth version: Federal Hydrashok .357 Magnum. I use the .357 because the recovery time for a follow-up shot is less than that of the .44 Magnum, and that may enable me to shoot the sorry SOB again before he hits the deck, and I have to stop shooting. Shooting the perp again reduces the likelyhood of his survival, and the subsequent lawsuit filed against me.

Official version: "Mr. Prosecutor, I use these because on the box the ammo came in it says that its good for personal defense."

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
"I carry Federal Hydra-Shoks in .45ACP, because they are reliable and effective in my gun, and widely marketed as personal defense ammo."

"As a trained CCW Instructor, I have been educated to know and teach that the purpose of a concealed handgun is to allow me the ability to STOP a life-threatening attack on my person, or the person of someone I care for."

"Federal Hydra-Shoks, fired from a .45 semi-auto hand gun, have been demonstrated to effectively STOP an attacker, with a minimal number of shots."

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Speer Gold Dot .38 +P For short barrels in my EEA Windicator .357 magnum
Snub nose. Less flash, and recoil. If you are charged with shooting someone,
you do Not have to explain anything to the district attorney, or testify.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Winchester PDX1 .38 special, it was designed for personal defense and says so right on the box. It was not designed for targets or big game, just defense.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I use incendiary devices because they are heat seeking!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A7vHaS9N7w]YouTube - YouTube Heat Seeking Bullets[/ame]

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
3,913 Posts
Hydra-Shok in .45 ACP, but I think I have a couple other brands lying around I would trust.

As far as the prosecutor goes, it's commercially available self defense ammo and I was defending myself. I have nothing else to say.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts