Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Moose
That is interesting that you shoot such a light bullet in your 45.
Going to "google" it right now.

I carry The .45 acp with 117 gr. Aguila ICQ ammunition, because it is the lightest bullet available that is very accurate and functions in my gun. When I am in fear of my life or the People around me , I want to be able to hit what I shoot at and stop the threat as fast as possible without risking overpenetration and Incidental Injury to a Bystander...
But why did you shoot him 8 times ?

That is all the ammo I had with me !

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
There is a member of another forum, I belong to, that does testing on self-defense ammo. He lines up 5 or 6 gal. jugs filled with water & tapes 4 layers of denim to the first one. When shooting into water, he derates the distance by 1.5 to 2, to equal the penetration in gel like the FBI uses. Therefore, a round that dimples the back of the 3rd jug or enters the 4th jug is deemed to have sufficient penetration (10" to 12"). He also looks for proper expansion & no separation of the jacket from the core & no fragmentation, both of which is considered bad. Several so-called 'best SD rounds' have failed this test. The following are those that did pass.

.45 ACP:
Corbon DPX 160 gr. (solid copper bullet)
Corbon DPX 185 gr. (ditto)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. (JHP)
Federal HST +P 230 gr. (JHP)
Winchester Ranger T 230 Gr. (JHP)
Winchester PDX1 230 gr. (JHP)

9mm:
Federal HST +P 147gr (JHP
Federal HST +P 124 gr. (JHP)
Corbon DPX 115 gr. (Solid Copper Bullet)
Speer Gold Dot +P 124 gr. (JHP)
Thunder Ranch DPX +P 115 gr (Solid Copper Bullet).
Winchester Ranger T Bonded 147 gr. (JHP)
Winchester Ranger T +P 124 gr. (JHP)

.380 ACP:
Corbon DPX 80 gr. (Solid Copper Bullet)
Winchester PDX1

He does not own a .40 S&W so has not tested it. I did see tests made by another person on the .40, but he did not use denim. Some that did well in his test are:

Corbon DPX
Federal HST
Winchester PDX1

Note that the Winchester PDX1 failed in 9mm. Of all brands he has tested so far, the Corbon DPX & Federal HST are the only ones that were consistant in all calibers. Of the other brands that I have listed, they either failed or he has not tested yet.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Hey, I still want one of them incendiary heat seeking guns!

Seriously retarded woman gun grabber!

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
What defense ammo do you shoot??

+2 I use Hydro Shock and Federal. When the gun is in the house it has no reloads in it.
Use Aguilla 117's too. 1450 FPS and 560 lbs of hit, and it is frangible. I keep them at the bottom of the mag. I would present my chart and finish by asking the attorney, what kind do you use?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts