Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a half dozen of the Yo Yo fishing reels. Made in USA also and stainless steel. I have seen these available for since I dont know when. They dont use a rod. You tie them to the bank, boat, limb or tree or even to floating milk jugs. They have a self winding spring and hooks the fish when it bites. It pulls then up to top of water and fish can even fight for awhile. Eventually they get tired and no fight. They are small and light. I got 6 of them for like $20 on line. Tthey come with line and swivel too. Also nylon string to tie them to something. You just need hooks and bait.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,055 Posts
Pretty cool. What I DO know from Mindy's most excellent suggestion is the spider-wire 15 or 20lb test braid is not only excellent fishing line (and thin) BUT ALSO outstanding thread and has a whole lot of uses. It's a way strong 'thread' that handles like thread. Not cheap but great stuff whether it's fishing line or a thousand other survival uses.

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Pretty cool. What I DO know from Mindy's most excellent suggestion is the spider-wire 15 or 20lb test braid is not only excellent fishing line (and thin) BUT ALSO outstanding thread and has a whole lot of uses. It's a way strong 'thread' that handles like thread. Not cheap but great stuff whether it's fishing line or a thousand other survival uses.
I think I may have posted this before, but I have a roll of that black high-test kite string that people use for the fancy stunt kites. Ever see those kite videos online where some 200lb+ guy is getting drug by his kite, or lifted off the ground? This is the stuff.

It works pretty well for fishing line on the Coosa at least. Results might vary in clearer water.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Sir J.J. I use the spider wire Braid on many of my bay spinning reels. I only use mono on the ultra light reels. Like Mindy said the string is like unbreakable. Its very thin and will cut into your fingers if you try to pull and break it when you get a snag. Dont ask me how I know. Yes its perfect for sewing certain things as it dont deteriorate or rot easy and lasts for years. Excellent snaring string in an emergency type situation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been using the YOYO reels since the 1960's. Be sure and check your state fishing laws, in some states you can't have them in your tackle box. In other states you must put your phone number and date on the reels. My friends used to do Indian fishing, tie a line to a willow branch, bait the hook with a grasshopper with the grasshopper just touching the water. Just what you want for big catfish, that way you don't lose your bait to small fish.

·
Premium Member
23,928 Posts
In Texas they are illegal to fish with. It was probably in the mid 1980's when they outlawed them but they will catch fish. Back when they were still legal we would stretch a very heavy line above the water between two trees and hang the baited yoyo reels from it. Then we would go back up to my buddy Stan's shady back yard and spot check that line with our binoculars. When we had a few fish on the yoyos we would go back down to where my boat was tied up and go harvest fish and rebait the hooks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
As a survival tool they are bulky. They are fine just for camping where you can have a dozen in a little bag. My brother and I used limb lines or throw lines for 50 years or so. We tried the yo yos, just did not find them to be a great advantage. You can take a medicine bottle about 1 and 1/4 inch thick and put 25 or 30 hooks in it and then wind 40-50 yards of spider wire or braided line around it and still only fill a space about the size of one big or two small yo yos. And you still have to find a limb to tie them to, so while we tried them we just did not find them worth the extra space. I would be curious how they work for you. We have the RV when we fish so space or weight does not matter much.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Why wouldn't I just use the regular fishing reels I always use?

Reactions: BigEd63

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just looks like a limb line you have to buy, to me. They still count on your "hooks in the water" limit unless the CO is a victim of nuclear attack.

Still, I'd just use the same limb line methods people have used for hundreds or thousands of years.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The use of them is so you have multiple lines out and in different areas. They set their own hook and tire the fish out. You can go about your business and do other things and come back to the river or use a rod or two in the boat while they are doing their own job. Our laws here you can have two sets of hooks on each line. These can be tied to milk bleach or soda jugs and set afloat on the river also. Fish will hook them selves and when you see a jug moving then you go snatch it. These reels are also used and tied to the jugs and reel is under the surface of the water. They never ever rust as they are all Stainless Steel. We are allowed up to ten of them here by regulations. I have many dozens of rods but wanted to do something different while holding a rod also. Mostly casting lures from the boat or bottom fishing. These can be set at any depth and get fish just under the surface or suspended from bottom.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I use limb lines it works about the same but it uses the flex of the limb to wear the fish out.
When I come back by the fish is waiting for me to pull it in or has managed to get everything wrapped around something on the bottom of the lake & popped the hook out of their mouths. LOL

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty cool. I’m an ole trot liner at heart. If the conditions are right, I can turn a couple dozen worms into a lot of food pretty quickly.
Yeah Man Jerry. We made up long trot lines and strung them along the river growing up. Sometimes hundreds of feet long and hooks spaced with bait. Weighted at ends with floats to locate it. We did the same for crabbing but usually 1,000 to 2,000 yards of baited line. Ran them with a boat and bracted on side of boat like a U shape or a small empty spool. Quick meals. We used the fishing trot lines strictly for catfish.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use limb lines it works about the same but it uses the flex of the limb to wear the fish out.
When I come back by the fish is waiting for me to pull it in or has managed to get everything wrapped around something on the bottom of the lake & popped the hook out of their mouths. LOL
They work good too. We call them bush bobs.

·
<------------<<<-
3,861 Posts
I imagine they work pretty well. I’ve used just a spool of mono before, too. I had my heavier gear, but the panfish were the ones biting, so I grabbed my trilene and tied on a jig. It was a lot of fun!

Reactions: BigEd63
1 - 20 of 23 Posts