Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chicken, fish onion rings etc. which is better shortnening or oil.

·
Premium Member
23,681 Posts
I use peanut oil for a lot of things since it does not retain the flavor of onions, fish, etc. so it can be strained and reused many times without picking up flavors or getting rancid. I use olive oil frequently also especially for pan frying or stir frying vegatables or meat.

·
Premium Member
23,681 Posts
Health fanatics will cringe at this, but for good old flavor nothing beats bacon grease or lard.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Health fanatics will cringe at this, but for good old flavor nothing beats bacon grease or lard.
yep, my mom always kept a jar of bacon grease hand for cooking with somethings, like biscuits, and green beans:yumyum:

·
Premium Member
23,681 Posts
yep, my mom always kept a jar of bacon grease hand for cooking with somethings, like biscuits, and green beans:yumyum:

Speaking of 'moms' my mom always used lard in piecrust and biscuit dough and just barely had it mixed into the flour. She said that was what kept them flaky.

She also had a devil's food cake recipe that she substituted 1/4 cup of bacon drippings for the crisco that the recipe called for. For 60 some odd years that was known as a "Faye Cake".

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
We sometimes use Crisco in the can or liquid cooking oil which ever one is on sell. We also use Olive oil, we flavior some pea's and bean's with bacon grease as well as cornbread
We also use cooking spray.

Geez's It's a greazzy life is'nt it LOL

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Bacon grease for popping popcorn!!! The best!!!:yumyum:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Pompeiian Extra Virgin Olive Oil if I can....the greener the olive oil the better. But if I need a buttload I just get some veggie oil.

·
Premium Member
23,681 Posts
When I deep fry those big old turkeys I always do them in peanut oil.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,109 Posts
For anything on top of the stove, I use coconut oil. Works really well for popcorn, too; adds a nice flavor to it. I get mine at Wal-Mart, because I can't find it anywhere else except at one health food store priced so high I want to slap the owner for price-gouging.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Canola for deep frying (higher burn temp), olive oil for most everything else. Bacon fat for biscuits and bread, pies, and potatoes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Pompeiian Extra Virgin Olive Oil if I can....the greener the olive oil the better. But if I need a buttload I just get some veggie oil.
^^ This^^^ Hey Arche! Where 'ya been hiding at?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Another thing bacon grease is good for, when cooking pancakes, put a little in the pan for it not to stick then add some into your pancake mix....its sooooo good lol.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Depends on what I'm cooking. For meats I use peanut oil, for dough type things (donuts etc,) I use cotton seed oil it leaves a nice clean slightly sweet flavor. Vegetables generally get vegetable/Canola oil

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,909 Posts
Depends what is being cooked.

Crisco/lard for all baking, & grilled cheese, fried chicken/fishi pan fried bread.
Gotta have bacon grease for eggs etc..

My wife has been "trying" to force me, to eat healthier.
So SHE has been using olive oil, for cooking.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gramma would fry up some bacon, throw in a choped up onion, than a quart of her home canned green beans.

Thay say bacon isn't good for you.
I guess that's true. gramma died four years ago. She was only 105!

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
The only time I fry is when I cook striper or other fish, I use peanut oil. I use coconut oil or olive oil to say cook potatoes eggs with some microwaved bacon. I use unsalted butter for toast or eggs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts