close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you think about...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Aug 15, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Yesterday, TX executed a convicted cop killer. Here's the big controversy, the deceased murder was a Mexican National. Been all over the news down here. What's your opinion. I think that you have to abide by our laws and consequences if you choose to come here, be it lawfully or unlawfully......

2. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

The fuy was not given the news about his right to counsel by the consulate because he spoke, read, and wrote english very well. That information is usually given to no-speaky types that have no idea what is going on. He was fully aware of his rights and what was going on. He was educated in the US and lived here for along time. I hope he is frying.

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

It's like I said before...Do as the Romans did. Cut off their heads and hang them from poles along the road. People got the message that crime had serious consequences.

4. Oxford agreed. When in Texas do like the Texans do.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

He WAS informed of his right to speak to the Consulate, just not when he was first arrested.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Kill here, we kill you, eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth!

7. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

NRAJOE,
    While I agree for the most part about "an eye for an eye", where does "turn the other cheek" fit in?

Klaus,
    I know that he was informed about his right later. But the mexicans are mad about the fact that he was not informed about it in enough time to "protect his rights".

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

It doesn't matter that he's a foreign national. He committed a capital crime, he was duly tried and convicted. If an American citizen murdered a Mexican cop, I would expect the same to apply.
    There are plenty of Americans in prison world wide. Do they have any "rights"?

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Tell that to the Cops family face to face Lenny.

10. I can tell you if you go to Mexico and forget you left a box of ammo under the seat and they find it....you're going to jail and do the time. They sure as heck don't care if you're an American....you abide by Mexican laws.

Reverse here...he was in the US...committed murder....got what American law allows.

Simple as that.

11. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Klaus,
    I am not arguing with you, just getting the facts straight.

NRAJOE,
    I just was always was confused by that passage about an eye for an eye because Jesus follows it with teling people to turn the other cheek. In effect he is telling people that an eye for an eye is wrong. Personally I think he should fry. I just wanted to discuss the Jesus issue.

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

According to the local news here in San Antone, he first told the Dallas PD that he was an American citizen, then when the heat got on he changed his story and wanted to be a citizen of Mexico very badly. At least that's the way I understand it, and again, that's just the local news. They always have their facts straight.....Right?

13. Hey Lenny what do you think about eye for an eye being the Law taught in old testament. And Jesus said he was here not to destroy the law, but fullfill it. I believe that the old and new teachings coincide. Just my opinion.

14. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

one less border crossing killer to put up with!!!:nod:

15. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Alan, I dont think they do coincide. Jesus said he was there to fulfill the law but in one statement he contradicted just that, ""You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, ‘Do not resist injuries (evil in KJV), but whoever strikes you on the right cheek turn to him the other as well’" (Matt. 5:38-29 Modern Language Version). If that is not a complete contradiction I don't know what is.

16. psycho dad

psycho dad G&G Newbie

i agree with oxford. the execution should be public, either selling tickets or putting it on pay per view tv, then the proceeds going to the victims family.

17. He was there to fullfill what the old testament prophesied-- The coming of messiah. With the coming of Christ there was also the new laws of Christ. It is not a contradiction. He was not speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Christ only spoke the TRUTH. He was speaking old law and what we should do under the new law.
    Lenny I thought that you were studying Judaism. They don't use New Testament teachings as part of there doctrine.

18. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Guess I opened up a can of worms. LOL. I didn't see this coming. Actually, my question didn't get this started. Somebeody said, "Eye 4 an Eye," and whoop, here we go! Why don't we ask the murderd Dallas Officer what Christ meant. He's sitting right up there with the good Lord as we speak!

19. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Alan,
    I don't understand how a clearer contradiction can exist. It is either an eye for an eye or it is turn the other cheek. Thats as black and white as it gets. It is a blatant contradiction.
    I am talking about the New Testament because it is talked about a lot on this forum. And the New Testament is not viewed as an accurate religious document by the Jews.

20. Oneastrix no you didn't ask for this my apologies and my sincere feelings for that officer and family. Lenny when Jesus said an eye for an eye he was talking about old law. Turn the other cheek is new law under Christ. He was just comparing the old to the new. If you think Jesus is contradicting himself then show me scripture that Jesus did anything else, but turn his other cheek.