Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
..caused the USA Ordnance Dept. to begin looking for a new weapon system, the Semi-automatic Rifle, right after the end of WWI, "the war to end all wars?" This search led to the United States being the only country to enter into WWII with a NEW Semi-automatic Rifle as "Standard Issue" for our troops. One odd point is that Ordnance had the M1 Rifle listed as standard issue in 1936! However, mass production of the M1 Garand did not start until late 1937.

Some data has been posted before others have not.

Thanks again
Clancy
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF
THA 63

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
The museum director was man enough to admit the error straightforward and give Eclancy thanks. I give them both credit for their strong interest in their pursuit of accuracy...and for providing the public with accurate facts.

·
Registered
992 Posts
In the New England Air Museum there's a display of a WW2 military jeep, I don't know if it's a Ford or Willis Overland, but the sign says that the word "Jeep" came from the initials "GP" for "General Purpose." The initials "GP" were the Ford designation for Government Contract, 80 inch wheelbase four wheel drive reconnoissance car. "GP" never stood for General Purpose. To my knowledge they have never changed the sign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts