·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion of the new 308 Marlin Express

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I did some research on the new Marlin XLR rifles because I'm a lever action fan...My choice was the new 35 rem. For those like me that like lever action rifles the 308 and the 35 bumped up the kill'in power for tubular fed lever actions. As well as the other caliber XLR's.
Because I was looking for a new Deer rifle the XLR was my choice rifle to buy UNTIL I priced them at 2 sporting goods stores average price was
669.00 dollars !!!
I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye boltaction in 308 caliber and paid 556.00 plus tax instead...A.H

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
This is just what I have read about the new Marlin cartridges and rifles.What I get is the bullets wont stabilise in the older model lever actions because the barrels have a slower twist rate.Marlin changed to a faster twist to fit the new bullets.Also they used a progressive burn rate powder so since neither the powder nor the bullets are available to reloaders you cant reload to factory readings. I hope MooseMan or someone can make this more clear.What I get is if you buy the new cartridge thinking you can reload you will be dissipointed and if you buy the new ammunition to use in an older rifle that will be a dissipointment. samuel.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
did i miss something, is the bullet diameter not .308"? this is one cartridge that i really dont get anyways, pretty similiar to the old 307winchester that long ago faded away.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
did i miss something, is the bullet diameter not .308"? this is one cartridge that i really dont get anyways, pretty similiar to the old 307winchester that long ago faded away.
OH I'm so sorry lefty o,yes the bullet is .308,but I should have stated for the nit-pickers among us,it's not a true .308 "Winchester" round see now.Again I must apologize for my misinforming silly post.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It's a vast improvement for lever guns. Shot one a few days ago and I cannot say enough good about it. Very accurate and when used for its intended purpose, it really extends the reach of the rifle for serious game. I would say it'll match the .308 Winchester on game out to 300 yards.
The whole design logic was to make a lever gun that can be carried just about anywhere and give it more oomph for the longer-than-average shots made by levers. It's better than the .307 Winchester because the bullet design allows the use of a polymer-tipped boattail bullet rather than a flat-point bullet. Ballisitically, the .308 Marlin is right on the heels of a .308 out to 350 yards, which suits me just fine.
Once I get my finances back in the black, I have one with my name on it....

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
kindly dont give snotty remarks when they are not warranted, then you will recieve the same respect as given.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It is stating to feel like elementary school around here lately!

Back to the subject, I like the idea of the .308 marlin. I am not sure we really needed another .308 cal hunting round, but for the dyed in the wool leaver-action guys this is just the ticket. I personally think I will pass, but that is just a personal thing - I think they should do the job they were designed for very well.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I love what you get with the XLR's regardless of the Hornady ammo.
24" barrell's, Ballard rifling, stainless steel and I'm not use to the laminate stocks yet maybe later.

I handled a 308 Marlin at the sporting goods store I bought the Mossberg shotgun at and it was still very lite weight and like all Marlins the feel is wonderful !!! The bolt is cool looking, it's flutted.

I my regret buying the Ruger Boltaction over the Marlin but this store would not come off the price of 669 dollars for the 308 Marlin thats a lot of money for a leveraction I think.
I assure yall there nice and **** I may get one later...A.H

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think it will get lost among all the other 30 calibers available. I could be wrong, but finding ammo for it in 10 years might be a challenge.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I agree Lng Rng and Marlin will end up dropping some of the XLR's like they've done others such as the 307, 356, 375 and many others I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm wondering if Lng Rng might Be right here and the 308 marlin may be hard to find ammo for in a few years.
It's going to be a hard job knocking the traditional lever action cartridges off the shelf, especially when the brownings BLR is chambered for the 30 caliber and the new hornady 30-30 ammo does so well in that chambering in rifles people already have in their cabinet.
Most people who shoot at ranges that require a 308 caliber are probably just going to buy a Bolt gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts