Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an outfitter here in Nebraska I see a bunch of different weaponry and more often than not I always hear "what caliber rifle should I bring". I always say to bring the gun that they are most accurate with. I think guys who are not from the mid-west think our deer are monsters that need to be shot with LARGE guns, I see tons of .338 & 300 win mags. I personally use a 25-06 and have never had to shoot a deer more than once, not saying I haven't shot AT deer more than once, I'm no sharp shooter, ha ha. I would think a 7 mag would be the largest gun needed, and that may very well be more gun than really needed. Your thoughts.:feedback:

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I use a 25-06 as well. Never had to take more then 1 shot either. Accurate little round, and more then enough for what we find out in CO.

Edit: the 25-06 seems to be an underestimated round. My hunting buddy doesn't understand why I "risk going with anything that small..." I have tried explaining what a sweet round it is but he never seems to hear me; or at least asks me about it every time.
:banghead:

·
Banned
623 Posts
I agree with most everything you mentioned. The 25/06 is a vastly overlooked round suitable for any whitetail or mulie that ever walked the earth. The more common .270 and .280 could well be as good as it gets as well. I personally will risk the wrath of thousands here and say that a .243 is on the light side of good, a 25/06 with a 115-120gr bullet being much superior in my book. If held to only one caliber ever for all CXP2 game, I'd put 3 of my favorite rifles' calibers on a small piece of paper, throw them in a hat and have someone pull out which of the .270, .280, and .308 choices I was now restricted to, and be fine with it. I can promise this, no deer sized animal would ever know which of those three calibers sent it to the great food plot in the sky at any range up to 400yds, and that is as far as I'm gonna poke at any deer. It, however, would take an act of Congress to get me to do that and stop using all the other calibers I also enjoy using...lol.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I am across the river in iowa and I so we are limited to shotguns here. I have been using a 12 ga. smooth bore with rifled slugs lately but I hope to pick up a rifled slug gun before next season!

Sorry, not the Rifle talk you were looking for!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jashoffa, can you use smoke poles in Iowa? Nebraska just voted to let the muzzleloaders use variable power scopes here, that has more guys willing to muzzleloader hunt.

·
Banned
704 Posts
Knife and fork...:)

If you want the perfect size cartridge for deer,I would suggest a .260 Remington. However, I suspect most want to hunt big game as well, such as moose and elk. For those I would suggest getting a 270 or 280 and they then have an all around gun. Both will handle a lighter load for shooting deer.

Ron

·
Banned
623 Posts
I am across the river in iowa and I so we are limited to shotguns here. I have been using a 12 ga. smooth bore with rifled slugs lately but I hope to pick up a rifled slug gun before next season!

Sorry, not the Rifle talk you were looking for!
I've often wondered why your state and a few others do that. Heck, even Connecticut allows high powered rifles! Many studies have shown that there is no difference, safety-wise with MORE injuries at MORE than shotgun range, being the norm. Of course, Connecticut doesn't allow Sunday hunting...what the he**!! I know other states don't as well, but, I sure hope you don't have the DOUBLE whammy! On a brighter note.... I believe that a rifled barrel might just give you 150yd capability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is almost the only one I have used, but has worked like a charm every time...from 50-250yds. My vote goes to the 7mm-08. Has the power, speed and trajectory to handle shots from as far as most people should shoot game and does it with little fuss or recoil.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
My go-to rifle is a .308. That being said, I would hunt deer with all the calibers suggested. One that I am in love with, but haven't hunted yet is the 6,5x55 Swede.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
I personnaly vote for the 275 rigby, thats the gun i have used for years and i find it to be comfortable to shoot and never lacking in power for anything i hunt with it.Just my opinin.
steve

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
30-30, 30-06, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 and sometimes 243, 223 or 22-250.

Anything can be a little light if you don't place your shot well. I am fond of my 30-30 but am looking forward to using my Mosin M38 this year. I may hunt one day with each round just for fun!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The concept of limiting a muzzeloader to iron sights only is rediculus. I only heard of this a few weeks ago. I am new to blackpowder myself and had always prefered to use a rifle while hunting whitetails. Mainly due to improved accuracy. I have a REM 870 w/ rifled barrel. Even with a VXII it just didn't work as accurately as this ENCORE muzzeloader. I have been reading what you 25-06 fans have been saying. I am thinking about that caliber for my next caliber. Mostly for targets.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I personnaly vote for the 275 rigby, thats the gun i have used for years and i find it to be comfortable to shoot and never lacking in power for anything i hunt with it.Just my opinin.
steve
Will you concede that this is exactly the same as a 7x57? If so...you've got a winner, no doubt!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a nice stainless rem model 700 in 25-06, but I always reach past it and grab my .300 RUM. I just feel more comfortable with it because I shoot it the most.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I rotate between my 30.06's and my 30.30...because the others get jealous if not used occasionally.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I shot my first deer with a 243. Shot my second deer with a 303 brit. Shot my third with a 7mm remington mag. The distance the deer traveled was most to least in the previous order. I say the 25-06 is a lot of powder behind a relatively small bullet. I have never shot one so i will not judge but i have heard that it kicks a great deal. I would like to take a 6.5X55 out. I think that or the 260 would be a good deer gun. What i liked the most however was the 7mm mag. Takes everything from deer to elk. It can be loaded way down or up to 190 grainers. (where u can find them) It shoots flat and hits hard. The deer didnt know what hit em.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Theres some good reading at this thread turners 1st. post makes alot of since to me.
I've gone from 30-30 to 30-06 to 375 win. and now 308 though I haven't shot a deer yet with the 308.
I'm very interested in the 280 now but you know if you do your part the Deer want know one bullet or caliber from the other.
There's probably quiet a few folks that deer hunt with a 243, personaly I wouldn't be comfortable with a 243 so my confidents isn't there. Meaning you need to have confidents in what your shooting.
Does that make since ?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts