Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of you, it's traditional but also much more!
Please share your feelings and stories! :)
Like my Grandpa and Dad before me, I expect my last hunt to be a deer hunt.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
To me, it's a chance to relax and enjoy the woods or fields that surround me. It's when I use all of the survival / hunting instincts that come naturally to many of us.

Being in the woods and stalking or waiting for prey with a weapon is much more meaningful then actually shooting the deer. If I went hunting every day and found a deer, but never actually got one until the last day of hunting season, I wouldn't be upset. I think my least favorite part of the hunt is actually taking the life...but deer meat is soo good that I have to include that part :)

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Deer hunting to me, is one of the simplest pleasures in life. Its about more then traditions, its about spending time with your friends and family in the great outdoors, its about smelling the pine needles on a frosty November morning. It is the experience of being with the ones you love, and the experience of enjoying life, that really matters, harvesting an animal is just the icing on the cake.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
There's not enough room on this entire forum to describe it. It brings a sense of peace and accomplishment that doesn't compare with anything else.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, I can't speak of family legacy. I represent the first generation of my family to really enjoy hunting. I feel very comfortable outdoors in the elements. It's bliss when it's so quiet, distant squirrels romping around in the leaves seems deafeningly loud. Theres no anger. You take the life of a beautiful animal to provide food for your family. It's not a high profile TV hunt. It's just you and the deer. You don't even have to shoot if you don't want to. I've watched a deer stand in my crosshairs for an eternity, but I didn't take my rifle off safe. It's just about getting away from the superficial nonsense of modern life and taking part in the noble tradition of a man and his rifle taking to the woods.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Spending time the bush with friends
The bonus is getting food for friends and family

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whenever I go deer hunting, I always wait til the last day of the season to shoot anything. Once I shoot, the fun's over so I make it last as long as possible.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Deer hunting means heading to the country again. It means getting up earlier than most any other times of the year. It means being with my SIL's and having fun. I't means sitting up in the 12 foot high tree stand longer than my butt wants to be there. It means walking into the hunt area in darkness and smelling the outdoors. It means while I'm in the tree stand I'll be also enjoying the natural signs of life...birds, squirrels, and other varmints which don't realize I'm watching them. It means when/if I get my deer that the fun is mostly over and work begins. It means I'm alive and enjoying what I love to do. It means I get to use my rifles which normally just set in my gun cabinet.

It means this and a whole lot more.
Ox

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A lot of deer hunting can't be put into words. Spending time with family, and seeing things that I otherwise wouldn't see. I beleive it sharpens your instincts/awareness.

You get a lot of good stories out of deer hunting. Last year my cousin got his first deer (with my rifle,) and I think I was almost as thrilled as he was.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
The "moment of reckoning" comes when you've got a deer in your sights and wondering should I or shouldn't I???...thinking maybe a bigger deer or a huge buck might be following closely behind. And...knowing that it's all "blood and guts" for the next hour or more as you degut and haul the carcass back to camp.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
It's the BIG EVENT !!! Where I live. Though I've been in the woods already squirrel hunting I'm also looking for Deer signs and places to put Deer stands.

My wife and I go out and eat the night before Modern gun deer season opens, and then we walk through some of the stores that sell sporting goods to watch the crowds of last minute hunters as they hastily prepare for the big event.
You see a lot of people you know and a lot of repor goes on.

Wether I be in an elavated or ground stand the antisapation and being outdoors is a wonderful feeling and too, the oppertunity to use your beloved Deer Rifle.

If'in a Big Ole Buck comes my way or not, just being where I'll be is rewarding enough.

·
Registered
847 Posts
For me hunting is my 'space', my time, to relax or to hunt hard going out and getting a tally or going out and just mooching, not really hunting, just being there. As toolman said, there's not enough room, and yet there's to much room as I don't know any way of putting hunting to words...

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me its continuing the tradition,but also is wakeing up in the morning and smelling the crisp morning air holding the rifle/bow in your hands as you look down the sights and see the trophy buck that will feed your family and friends for a while.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
To me it's about harvest and survival. Most of the time we eat what someone else butchers and packages for us. With hunting, you take the animal straight from God's green earth and are responsible for everything between then and the time you eat it. It's about appreciating life and what it takes to really survive.

I don't really see it as a sport. The sport element to me is a way to limit the number of animals taken so that there will always be enough of them to keep a good population.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Enjoying the outdoors
The opportunity to work with my guns and other equipment
Providing good quality, healthy food
Sharing experiences with Friends (including here)
Assisting with population control and general game & habitat management
Excercising the privilage to hunt including carrying a firearm.
Passing onto future generations.
Being thankfull at the end of a long cold day that I have a warm house & food to eat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
getting up real early setting up and listening the the sounds of the forest come alive all around you. Becoming keenly aware of every sound, smell, and movement and just the peace you feel being away from the noise of technology. Then the excitement of watching the deer come into range and it being completely unaware of you.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
AHHHHHH! You guys have covered it all! But, on the basics what it means to me is to get something to eat and a trophy too. Nothing is wasted. :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Enjoying the outdoors
The opportunity to work with my guns and other equipment
Providing good quality, healthy food
Sharing experiences with Friends (including here)
Assisting with population control and general game & habitat management
Excercising the privilage to hunt including carrying a firearm.
Passing onto future generations.
Being thankfull at the end of a long cold day that I have a warm house & food to eat.
Hunting may be a "privilage" where you hail from.
But carring a Firearm is a Right! never 'lump' it in with your privilages! Driving your automoble or truck is considered a privilage. I don't smoke, but the gov't is doing it's damndest to take that 'privilage' away from those who do. Just as they are doing their worse to take away our Right to keep and bear arms! I don't really need an automobile to get around although it is wonderful to have one at my beck & call and I'd sure miss not having one.
But if worse came to worse I could always get a horse and carriage/wagon etc. or walk, if it came to that. Thank the Lord.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts