Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
What got you started into collecting the M1 Garand Rifle. Was it the CMP, Gun Shows, Gun Shops, seeing them at the range or in a paper/NRA etc., The M1 Garand only comes by only 4 US Military makers but with many different types of spec's to each what would be your favorite to collect?

Season Greetings
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to read this data. I hope you learn some data on the M1 Garand.
Clancy
ps could use some hits
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
CMP and having to have one of the greatest american battle rifles ever made. I have a Danish VAR Barreled Springfield (1/1), and I have one I just bought for an M1D project both are favorites.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Collecting? Er... no.

There are two M1 rifles in my house at the moment, both shooters. I do not consider myself a collector in any way, shape, or form. The first came from a private sale; the second, a less-wood Dane, from CMP.

Why the M1 in the first place? 'Cause that's what I learned to shoot on; not a .22, not a .30-30; an M1 Garand.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
From early childhood I listened to my father tell stories about the M1 Garand. Every other rifle he compare to a Garand. I won't bore you with the many stories.

I had no interest in the Garand until about five or six years ago. Then I set out to buy my father a Garand. I ended upbuying him a LEADs rebuild CMP rifle from a guy in a Dairy Queen parking lot. I gave that rifle to my father for Christmas. During the weeks in between, I was a voyeur on several forums. That exposure, and holding that rifle got me hooked.

Now I have SAs, WRAs, IHCs, HRAs, and all the Italian manufacturers too. Some are all correct, some I built, some are just shooters. I love them all.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Once I got my 91/30, K98 and Model 4 Mark I...I decided to work toward a WWII collection of one rifle from each country. From that moment, I wanted to add a Garand, but I knew it was a lot more pricey than any of the other rifles. Then came the call from my buddy at the gun shop. They had taken a '44 SA Garand in trade. I picked it up for $525 and refinished the stock. Of course once you own one of these beauties and understand its significance, you can't figure out why it took so long and why price was an issue. Now the issue becomes ... how long before I have to get a second??? I'd love to also own a correct Winchester!!! That CMP beauty that paper just got sure had my mouth droolin'.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My father and uncle were in WWII. At an eary age my father actually encouraged me to sit and watch WWII movies. Guess this was some sort of father showing son what being a man or what men had to do. Then the TV series "Combat" came out. Thought it was cool Vic Morrow, Sarge and Cage would save the day. Finally dad took me shooting with his 1894 Winchester pump repeater .22 short rifle. Took to that like rat crap in rice!
One day, 1965, age 10, we went to buy some .22 ammo at some gun shop. They had M1 Garands for $89.00
"Dad, dad" I pointed out the Garands.
He just brushed me off.
Anyway, Dad passed away in 97. Used $450 incash from his estate and bought one at gunshow from individual walking around. It was not in great shape............but.........
Got ripped off. Seller said, shoots real good and even has 1943 National Match barrel.
Chamber was pitted and cases would not eject. Later found out in 43 there was no such thing as National Match. That barrel became a tomato stake. Saw seller at gunshow later and verbally kicked his arsh. Following gun show, our eyes met and he got the flock out of there.
In hindsight, guess I gave $100 too much for rifle with crappy barrel.
Last Garand , gave $650 for it. Very Good Deal!
Have 5 Garands now and a shirt load of other C&R rifles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have my first Garand (SA) on order from CMP. Don't have it yet but hopefully soon. Always wanted one and kept putting it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts