close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What happened to the Canadian sniper...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Steve Redgwell, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Steve Redgwell

Steve Redgwell G&G Newbie

that was sent back to Canada for alleged improprieties during a debrief in Afghanistan?
    The question was raised on a newgroup I subscribe to. Well, that was a good question. He has the longest confirmed kill on record (to my knowledge), was praised by both the US and CDN governments etc. Then, he allegedly puts his foot in his mouth with a padre. Back to Canada they send him, putting in time unrelated to his training, waiting for a decision whether he will be charged.
    I tried asking the military and got nowhere. So I contacted a newpaper and they responded by saying, "Good point Steve. We will look into this..."
    I don't pretend to know all the details of what got him in hot water, but the media reported that he offended a padre and possibly others at a debriefing.
    In Canada, they don't like the word "sniper" and in some cases turn this job into "long distance shooting" or a similar, less graphic term. The job is not fun, is stressful and very demanding. I think that they may have overreacted.
    Even now, the US offer of a Bronze Star to the team is still up in the air. Regulations require that medals from other countries be thoroughly investigated before any consideration is given to accepting a foreign award.

What a mess...

Safe Shooting! :nod:
    Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Hmm what a bunch of whussies?

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

New one on me,thanks for info!

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

so he insulted a padre for the work he does he is going to be a bit off the wall -- I did the same in law enforcement - I never had a kill but people thought I was crazy for hanging out and usually eating lunch talking with the coroner while he was working on a body. Give him the medal and return him to service.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

eeewwww, dude! :throwup:

6. Steve Redgwell

Personally, I couldn't care less what he said within earshot of the padre. If he's really a padre that is...
    Over 20 years working for the same organisation and they STILL surprise me! I should really know better.

I'll lay odds that the padre says he was misquoted or misunderstood...
    The service will say its actions were misunderstood (again?)...
    The boy will get shafted and given a complimentary BOHICA licence plate...

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

"Why are you dipping those cartridges in Ben Gay son?"
    "Geez Padre, Im doin' it for you. It's so's they don't hurt as much goin' in!"
    "Vaseline works better boy."

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The politically correct term for sniper is "Designated Marksman". As far as this poor fellow, just give him the medal and let him be. A snipe.....er, designated marksman's job is stressful enough.

8. Steve Redgwell

I have found out additional information. No specific details, but apparently there's more to the story than was reported by the press. It seems his troubles don't stem from an angry cleric. Again, no details. The repat and possible charges are not related to the reported incident alone.

The plot thickens...

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

9. yodar

yodar G&G Newbie

Canadian Snipers

I lost the url BUT THESE SNIPERS were using 50 BMG equipment and so impressed the American personnel fighting in Afghanistan with them with their excellence that the Army wanted to award the Silver Star to these fellows...Big Canadian gummint squelch-up hush-hush occurred

Yodar

10. yodar

yodar G&G Newbie

Canadian Snipers

I lost the url BUT THESE SNIPERS were using 50 BMG equipment and so impressed the American personnel fighting in Afghanistan with them with their excellence that the Army wanted to award the Silver Star to these fellows...Big Canadian gummint squelch-up hush-hush occurred

Yodar

11. Steve Redgwell

WRT the medals, they have apparently been staffed through US channels (with the CDN gov't being advised) and the paperwork is somewhere in the mill.
    In cases where a foreign government wishes to award a Canadian soldier, the decoration cannot be stopped. The only thing that can be done is the military telling the individual concerned that he isn't allowed to wear it on his dress unibags.
    The most recent example I can think of was by the Saudi gov't. They awarded a medal of theirs to some canadian servicemen, but they can't wear it on their uniforms. In that case, I believe it was because Canada awarded a decoration for the same action. I don't know about the US, but here you're allowed to wear 1 medal only for a specific campaign.
    Should you return a second or third time, many medals are amended with a number . IOW, 3 times to a spot, the number 3 would be put on the medal and the ribbon.

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

12. Mr (T)

Mr (T) G&G Newbie

My impression of the bits and pieces I've heard about the man is that he's not real keen on social niceties...but that shouldn't mean that he didn't undertake his duties well and saved fellow soldiers' lives...

They should award him his medals because he got the job done, not because he's Mr. Popular or the president of some social committee!

Only Hits Count!