close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What happened to the hi power guys?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jgang, Mar 31, 2002.

1. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

I used to come here and get an encylco of info every time. Now noone is here, well, almost noone.

2. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

Well am I no-one my wife thinks so I know what you mean a lot of the members from the other BB aint here but It dosnt help when posts disapear either

3. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

How that 25.06 shooting? I found a 10fp in 25.06 for 359.00. Would have been divorced if purchased? Also found a 22.250 in 12fvss for 360.00. Still working on my 12fvss in .308, but I have never been able to pop milk jugs at 250yds on the first shot before. Working on proper loads for her and still learning from the handloading guys. Glad you're still here. jgang

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I think a lot of the topcs have been spread to the other forums, now that the big game forum's easier to get to, and the Weatherby forum exists. I still check though.

5. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

I aint got the loads tottaly worked in yet but I can put a .625 pattern on papper at 100 needs a trigger bad found that out after I set my winchester down to 2 pounds.

what are you loading in that .308 i have not had a hand load go over a inch with the 25-06

Would be intresting to find out where some of the other guys are

6. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

I bought some used equipment from a guying moving up to the 50bmg. He had some Nosler boattails with the green tip, 165gr. I am using Win brass and primers. He also gave me the AA2230 powder he had along with the Vihta Vouri n140. So I will be working towards my load in 1/2 gr increments till I find the best group. I want to stay with the 165gr until I get the best grouping, then I would like to go to the 168gr or the 155gr. I have also been reading about the 175gr being a great target bullet. I am trying to get the oal right, but from what I have heard from other Savage owners locally, they set the bullet back about .020 or more from the rifling. Closer is not always better. My 308 seems to be a great shooter, best I have ever owned. I have shot 2" groups at 200yds with some factory ammo and some loads that came from the used equipment. I will let you know how it goes this weekend when I get to shoot at a real range. jgang

7. Ayteeone

Ayteeone G&G Newbie

Many of the players on the old site just gave up on the new one. I still don't care for the way this one functions, but since someone else is doing the work...
    Jgang, what model Savage are you using? I have an older 110FP that has happily tuned to a half inch shooter with it's handloads. One of these days I suppose I should plunk down for some commercial match and see how it does.

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

When I finally mount that scope on my Savage 111G I'll see just how well it groups... Can you tell I'm excited? And did I mention it's a 300 Ultra Magnum?

9. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

New toy

Got a 12bvss in .243 and now I have questions about bedding? Where do I not want to get the epoxy? I have read that you do not want to get the compound fully around the lug and the magazine area. Just around the sides and back of the stock. Quite unsure about doing this but I have heard so much about bedding that I want to try it. Maybe I'll try it on my 110 hunting rifle first.

10. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

What is your opinion of the Savage 10 fp and the 110,112? I have been looking for one, (any of the previous mentioned), in .270, .308, or .30/06. I was told that the Savage triggers were so bad, that they needed serious gunsmithing or replacement with an aftermarket trigger. Do they really have any advantage over a Winchester 70 or a Remington 700?

11. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

First and foremost is cost, with the Savage you can afford better glass and other toys. The trigger can be adjusted to a smooth 3lb pull and I have no complaints from my 12fvss in .308. If you have a ton of money or are a guy who has to go along with the thought that you have to pay more to get more then I would get the 700. I just like what you get for the money in Savage.