What happened?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DocCombat, Jul 12, 2002.

1. DocCombat

DocCombat Guest

Did everyone get rid of their Eddystones , Remingtons or Enfeilds? Why isent anyone posting anything or asking questions on this wonderful weapon? This is the weapon most of our Doughboys carried in WWI and is the rifle Alvin York used when he won the Medal of Honor (an Eddystone). Or am I the only one?

2. wes

wes Guest

I'm trying to figure out just what a P17 is. I THINK they mean M1917. And yeah,I really like my M1917 Eddystone.

3. DocCombat

DocCombat Guest

I think they ment P-14 which is the pattern number for the British version of the Enfeild rifle in the rimmed .303 British caliber. Also known as the M1917 rifle to the U.S. in 30.06 Springfeild. And confused the two making it the P-17.
    But that still dosent answer my question why everyone has stopped posting messages or asking questions. This forum is like a ghost town. Deserted.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2002
  4. Gyrene

Gyrene Guest

Colin Britton - I have yet to complete my set, of P-17's. I have an excellent Winchester P-17, and I have a fairly good Eddystone P-17. What I don't have yet is a Remington P-17, which is the first centerfire rifle I ever fired, when I was 8 1/2 years old. It got away, as my mother wanted to move, and I could not go there to help, or to save all my belongings.

As to the P-14, P-17 differences, they are well documented in at least one book, "P-17 The American Enfield", by J. C. Harrison, and I am sure you are already aware of the North Cape Publications, Inc. "Vol. 4 The Pattern 1914 and the U.S. Model 1917 Enfield". Both are worthwhile, if you want to find out some information about the American Enfield.

In short, the company, Lee Enfield, in England, had designed a rifle to replace the Lee Enfield Mark III .303 Cal. The new design was to use a .276 Cal. bullet, and was to be named the British Cal. .276 Pattern 1913 (P-13). WWI started too soon for Lee Enfield to get production under way, before the rifle was needed, and so it was decided to contract with U.S. companies to produce the rifle. Since a war was going on, they decided to keep the .303 Cal. because of the Logistics problem a new Caliber would be.

Winchester and Remington were contracted to build rifles for England, at the start of WWI. Remington had the Eddystone facility as well as the Ilion, NY facility, and contracted to build the Lee Enfield rifles, on separate contracts at each of them. They were contracted to build the Lee Enfield as a .303, and the name was changed from P-13 to P-14, beginning in 1914. Production started in 1916 and by 1917, the contracts were completed.

The U. S. Springfield, and Rock Island Armories were having a problem producing enough 1903 Springfields, so the Government contracted Remington and Winchester to produce the P-14 rifle in .30-06 Cal., and renamed it the U. S. Rifle Cal .30 M1917. Production of the M1917 (P-17) began around August 1917, and the last one was built in April 1919. More GI's carried the M1917 (P-17) in WWI than carried the 1903 Springfield, including Sgt. Alvin York, despite what Gary Cooper carried in the movie "Sgt. York"!

Remington has used the basic receiver design for many of its rifles, to this day.

Maybe you started something when you asked "Why . . .?" Then again maybe not.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2002