close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock What is an Alternative to a Glock 26

Discussion in 'Glock' started by kinggrimwood, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kinggrimwood

kinggrimwood G&G Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm in the market for a sub-compact 9mm semi-auto handgun.
    My personal favorite is the Glock 26, however, my wife and I agree that if we can find a different gun that is very similar but for less money, then it makes more sense for our budget these days.
    Can anyone point me in the way of guns very similar to the G26 in design & size, but for less money. the G26 is $500 new, and i can't find 'em used at all.
    Thanks,

2. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

styer m9 or 40

smith and wesson MP
    springfield xd
    kel-tec pf9 maybe
    kahr 9 or .40

3. lowercase

lowercase G&G Newbie

I believe that there's a Springfield XD that fills the bill for slightly less than a Glock 26.

I just got rid of a G26 in favor of a S&W 642 (with no internal trigger lock). I liked the G26 and it shot well, but I just didn't carry it. If you don't carry a gun that you bought to carry, it doesn't matter how nice it may be. It is worthless to you.

I carry my 642.

4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I own a Springfield XD Subcompact in both 9MM and .40. I got the .40 first and liked it so much I bought the 9MM. The gun fits in the palm of my hand and out shoots the Glock many times over. If you want another but far less money than a Glock or Springfield look at a Taurus Millennium. The Millennium is, in my opinion, equal to the Glock at a far less price. I find Springfield to be the best of the three but is does cost a bit more than the Taurus.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

+1 on the Millenium.

6. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I own a G26, and think it to be a fine gun--very reliable, and the sight picture with Tru Glo's (light tube and night sights) is outstanding. The Springfield's nice because it has a grip safety on it--the Glock's OK in this regard, but does demand extra care due to it's relatively light and short "DA" trigger stroke. Yes, you shouldn't let the trigger get depressed ever; however, there are some extra ND's I suspect with the Glocks that an external or grip safety might have prevented. The primary safety is between one's ears, still, I can see how a trigger might get snagged by a foreign object maybe.

The Millenium Pro is alot of gun for the $, and has a LDA-type trigger (second strike capability) as well as an external safety you can apply. It feels good in the hand, and is very shootable. I had a PT-145 for a while I enjoyed shooting and it shot fine (eventually replaced by a Sig 220).

Welcome to the site, by the way :)

I've become quite a SIG fan these days, and might humbly suggest a Sig 239. Yes, they're pricey, but then again, for an essential piece of safety equipment for me they're worth the money. I know it's sometimes easy to say, but cost for one's carry gun (at least for Glock, Springfield, Sig, etc.) should be a secondary issue when possible (i.e. maybe cut back something else if at all possible).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hi Point!

8. rascaldog

rascaldog G&G Addict

Kahr CW9. I have one and love it. Can usually find one for about 400.00. Also offered in 40 cal. as the CW40.

9. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I've been looking at the Kahr but hadn't heard much in the line of reviews from people who actually own one. I'm glad to hear you like it. One thing I could never find on their website. How's the trigger pull? Do you know the weight by chance?

10. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

my friend has one, he says its so-so

ive shot it, no jams, neat little gun

11. rascaldog

rascaldog G&G Addict

Trigger pull on mine is probably about 7 pounds but is pretty smooth. It is getting better, in fact the instructions that came with the gun say that it is not 100% reliable until 200 rounds have been fired. These guns seem well made to very tight tolerances. While these are not target guns accuracy for their intended purpose (self defense) is good. I think with a DAO pistol it is better to have a heavier trigger pull. I personally want to be sure when I pull the trigger in self defense that is what I wanted to happen. Best advice would be give one a chance and if you stay in the 400.00 dollar range if you don't like it you can get all or most of your money back by reselling it. But I am betting that if you want a gun for self defense that you will carry with you at all times you will be satisfied. Good Luck.

12. Ruger100

Ruger100 G&G Newbie

I can't believer that someone said High Point and nobody chimed in. This forum must be getting slow.:09: I'm in the same boat right now but having recently purchased the Springfield XDm40, I'm becoming a big Springfield fan. I think with the pricing being similar between most of the guns, once you add up all the Springfield extras it becomes a greater value. right now they're offering not only the standard two magazines but also an additonal two. That's 3 more than most other guns which would easily be a $60-$80 dollar value. That's not even taking into consideration all the rest of the goodies that come in the hard Pelican case from Springfield. I'm currently carrying the XDm 40 but I think the XD sc 40 is in my very near future.

13. Todd Bayliss

Todd Bayliss G&G Newbie

I just picked up a Keltec PF9 for $259. Very nice little gun. It fits easily in the front pocket of dress pants or shorts, and is a snug but do-able pocket carry for my jeans. If you're partial to baggy jeans, you'd have no trouble at all. Trigger pull seems to me lighter than the double action pull on my Ruger P89, and worlds away from the pull on my 642. I also considered the P11. I didn't notice any difference in the trigger, and the PF9 seemed to fit my hand better. The P11 felt very "fat" (this coming from a P89 owner).

The P11 is a true double action in that the hammer is cocked on every trigger pull, giving double strike capability. For someone not familiar with auto's that might play a factor. The PF9's slide has to be racked a touch to reset the trigger, but one should be in the habit of tap-rack-bang with an auto anyway.

I'm hoping to get out to the range Tuesday to see how she shoots. I expect recoil to be stout but more manageable than the 642 due to the lower bore axis.

14. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted