close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the Advantage?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dallas, May 27, 2002.

1. I was just at the local Wal-Mart. I noticed that they had several Remington shotguns with 28-30 inch barrells that were ported(correct term? Two groups of small holes near the top the barrell near the muzzle). I know I have seen comments on this type of barrell somewhere on the board, but I can't find them.

What are the advantages/disadvatages for this type of barrell. I am looking at getting a longer barrell for sporting clays and for hunting season. Opinions plase.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Faster follow up shots.The ports allow exiting gasses to redirect force to conteract upward lift during recoil.

3. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Dallas,

I'm sorry to report but the porting on shotguns is just an excuse to charge more for the barrel. Maximum pressure of shotshells is 13,000 to 13,500 psi as opposed to rifles that run up to 65,000 psi. Due to the expansion ratio of a .729 to .740 dia. shotgun barrel by the time the gas gets to the ports there's no enough left to do any work. Ther'e just louder.

Dave375

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Back boring and even Mossbergs slightly larger 12 bore ID are better advantages for patterning effectiveness and recoil reduction. Can't blame any particular MFG, sometimes they have to hang a few of something out to be competative. The only draw back I can see on any muzzle break on ANY gun is the increased noise level. Just a consideration.