What is The Militia

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sniper[MI], Oct 3, 2002.

1. Howdy,

Found this on Patriots for the Second Amendment web site...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "WHAT IS THE MILITIA?

Samuel Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Honest Americans will Objectively note that in each of the above quotes reference is clearly made to the right of the people, not to the right or authority of either state or federal government.

Furthermore, nothing is said about the preemptive or collective right of the army, national guard, state police or any federal agency to Possess and or control all weapons instead of, or for the good of, the people. Clearly, the men who established this Republic, and who wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, intended, and stated beyond doubt, that the people, i.e., individual Americans, have the right and duty to be armed. But if it is the people who are to be armed, then what is the "militia" which is referred to in the Second Amendment? What was it when the Constitution was written, and does if still exist today?

By definition of our Founding Fathers, those citizens who were not in the "Organized Militia" (the standing army). were considered the "Unorganized Militia" (which included all males 18-45 who were subject to call for the organized militia). All other citizens, e.g., those neither organized nor subject to call (i.e., all men under 18 and over 45) were known as the "Militia of the Residue" as defined by Alexander Hamilton. The militia is all the people!

George Mason: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."

The Militia Act Of 1790; Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution; and the Federalist Papers, pages 2429 state: "It will become necessary to organize and regulate a certain portion of the militia (i.e., the people)." Those aged 18-45 who were subject to call for the organized militia. Clearly, the militia is the people all the People! It was so in 1776 when we declared our independence and fought for our freedom. It was so in 1787 when the Constitution was approved. It was so in 1791 when the Bill of Rights (including the Second Amendment) was added. And it is true today.

A Modern day example can be found in ARTICLE XIV of the Constitution of the State of Idaho @ http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/constretr?sctid=003141401.K
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  2. johno

johno Guest

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Excellent post Sniper! :right:

4. Gus L.

Gus L. Guest

"Those aged 18-45 who were subject to call for the organized militia"

Dang it all, I'm too OLD to be in the Militia??I just aint fair I tell Ya..:(