Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I don't think there is any doubt, the most accurate is the .32 S&W long, used in the Olympics for years, this is probably the most accurate centrefire handgun cartridge going. Followed a close second by the .38 special which is just ahead of the .45LC & .45acp(joint third)

Things change when you start talking most effective defensive pistols, then you go for the 45's, one stop shots!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
.38 special. I shot an old blue steel Smith & Wesson Model 10 that had been modified with adjustable sights and a 6" competition bull barrel. It was so accurate at 75 yards that I became board shooting it. It was so accurate, that it was bought and sold repeatedly by different law enforcement officers from different departments in my area for competition shoots. When the awards were won, it would get sold again. I would have kept it if I was into precision match shooting.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Well why not ask the fastest most accurate????
YouTube - Fast Shoot

Looks like a revolver to me.
That was great. That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "rapid reload exercise." I wish I had that clip to show my classes at the academy back in the service revolver days. That was the one part of the final qualification exercise they moaned about the most.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Maybe instead of Jerry its Bob...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3PiN29VB0&NR=1]YouTube - fastest shot in the world[/ame]

Just click on it.
Looks like another revolver to me!

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Not just a revolver, a single action revolver. That guy has the fastest hands I have ever seen. He must have terrorized the girls when he was in high school. :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I guess my question is why is 9mm generally left out of this thread? Just a question. I have no dog in this.
Unfortunately the 9mm is just not an inherently accurate round. It's primary advantage is being compact, yet powerful enough to be a man stopper. As such it was picked up by the police force to replace the 38 special (the 9mm is considered to be ballistically superior to the .38 as well).
Almost any necked cartridge will be more accurate then a strait-walled, so the 9mm is still going to be beat out by better designed cartridges.

·
Love Your Firearms!
2,272 Posts
Unfortunately the 9mm is just not an inherently accurate round. It's primary advantage is being compact, yet powerful enough to be a man stopper. As such it was picked up by the police force to replace the 38 special (the 9mm is considered to be ballistically superior to the .38 as well).
Almost any necked cartridge will be more accurate then a strait-walled, so the 9mm is still going to be beat out by better designed cartridges.
BR--thank you. It's what I thought, but didn't know enough to know for sure. As you explained it, there is a very basic difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The 9mm is highly accurate!However the 9x21 and .38super are more powerful making them more desirable for USPSA/IPSC shooters.The .38 Super was considered very inaccurate because it headspaced on the rim which also caused FTF problems.In the 80,s competitors finally got handgun mfg,s to develope barrels that allowed the super to headspace on the rim.From that point it was nip and tuck between the 9x21,9x23,and the super.The super has been so overcharged they have found competitors shooting loads as high as 50K CUP.Makes the average 32K CUP in a 9mm look anemic.Loading a super that hot is dangerous and rough on guns.All of this can be verified in several books including the Sierra load book I think. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
There is no "most accurate CALIBER".

But if I wanted to build a gun around the most accurate CARTRIDGE, it would have to be the .22 LR. Nothing else comes close unless the distance becomes ridiculous.

I think.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
fire any of them in a test barrel, and they will all make 1 single hole groups. they are all capable of more accuracy than any human hands are capable of. just what is an inherently accurate cartridge?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accurate calibers

In response to the 9mm not being accurate, I have to disagree. HK USP expert in 9mm is the most consistently accurate pistol I have shot. Also, people seem to be forgetting that the Glock 34 in 9x19 shot by Dave Sevigny has won many national/world championships and is a 5x USPSA production national champion among many other recent titles won. I am not a glock snob by any means, I usually consider them to be a bit too commonly owned for my liking. Haven't tried the 34, but with it's $550 price tag I will be looking at one shortly.......:headbang:

·
Handgunner
9,314 Posts
speaking of Bob Munden...
Not just a revolver, a single action revolver. That guy has the fastest hands I have ever seen. He must have terrorized the girls when he was in high school. :)
He might have....and the gal he married is nearly as fast as he is. LOL

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I haven't heard much about them, but I would bet that those 5.7mm FN's are pretty accurate. Other than that, i would say .22 LR fired out of a match pistol.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts