What is the most accurate out-of-the-box auto pistol on the market?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Ballbearing, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Evangelist

Have there ever been any tests to find this out? I'd like to know which service auto pistol (standard frame, standard barrel length, not compact)
    can you take out of the box (and after you give it a good cleaning of course..), load up and shoot with the best accuracy? No break-in periods, no add-ons, no lasers, no overloaded picatinny rails, just your hands, your pistol, the target and you. Is it an H&K, a Sig, a Walther, a S&W, a Colt, a Browning, a Kahr, a Springfield, a Kel-tec, a Hi-point, or what?

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

CZ SP-01 Phantom. Pretty accurate pistol.

Attached Files:

3. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That is pretty much an impossible question to answer. It is true that some pistols may shoot better than others but everyone will shoot different pistols different ways. It is not the pistol that shoots well. It is the person who is shooting the pistol that shoots well or doesn't shoot well.

4. savage12755a

savage12755a G&G Evangelist

The Ruger Mk series I-II-III

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

sig P210

6. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Well, of those pistols that I have personally taken out of the box and fired, I'd have to say the .22 cal S&W Model 41.

7. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

Les Baers 1911s are garanteed to shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. And all their carbon steel models have an optional 1.5" garantee. They are certainly in the running for most accurate auto pistols available.

8. codeNshoot

codeNshoot G&G Addict

No two guns are exactly the same, even from the same manufacturer. You could buy a Rossi that is a tack driver or a Smith or Colt that doesn't shoot straight. All manufacturing processes, no matter how good, still turn out lemons on occasion.
    If you could miraculously divine the perfect handload for just about any gun before firing, it would be superior to the gun's least favorite factory ammo.

The long answer is that trial and error, as well as practice will prove out the most accurate combination for you and your gun. Handgun or rifle.

9. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

+1

Or an Anschtuz target pistol

10. dsschuler

dsschuler G&G Addict

A week ago I would have agreed with you, I really thought my Phantom was my most accurate, then I got my STI Spartan 9mm and can shoot alot better than with my CZ. For me at least.

11. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Most handguns are more accurate than a human is capable of achieving. Every hand gun I have if you bolt the sucker down it will put 10 shots through the same hole at 25 yards. Hell if I can repeat that even 3 times.

12. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

That's not a fair question. How accurate a pistol is is entirely dependent on the shooter 99% of pistols are more accurate than 99% of shooters. It's extremely rare to have a shooter who's can shoot to the fullest extent of a pistol. Buy a pistol that YOU shoot well and practice. That's the ONLY way you will be accurate.

13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The subject of the thread is about "accurate out of the box auto pistols", not about the shooters ability. A huge percentage of them fired from a ransom rest would shoot 3-6 inch groups at 25 meters or even worse than that. Only a handful of mega dollar semi custom pistols are capable of shooting factory targets that match the target I posted for my $399.00 CZ.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  14. Stevie-Ray

Stevie-Ray G&G Newbie

For me, it has been my EDC, a Kimber Ultra CDP. My Colt Mark IV probably betters it, especially at range, but it took some money to get it past it's underwhelming beginnings.

15. legit

legit G&G Newbie

you need to specify if it's centerfire only. nothing cf will match a good .22lr target auto. I'd say that the Top of the line Wilsons, Baer's, Brown, Kimber, etc, will all group as good as the ammo will. Some ball and combat loads are only capable of 3-4" groups at 50 yds. Some match ammo is 1.5" or so at 50 yds. What do you want such accuracy FOR, anyway? It's not necessary, even for BE matches. You see, the 2" x ring is just for breaking ties. If I have 99 pts and no x's, and you have 98 pts and 9 x's, I still beat you.

16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

The most accurate Center Fire handgun I ever shot, right out of the box, (after cleaning, of course) was my Kimber Super Match II. It was guaranteed to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards, and it did/still does with good quality factory ammo.

17. Range Rat

Range Rat G&G Newbie

Sorry, this is just not correct. Autos with a moving barrel and slide are often inherently less accurate than fixed barrel pistols. Anyone who knows pistols knows that.

Shooters would not spend big $$$ to "accurize" autos if the pistols were dead accurate out of the box. Generally, the more jam- and dirt- resistant the pistol's action, such as pistols set up for combat situations, the more "slop" is present in the clearances, and the more spread-out the groups.

18. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

This gets my vote! I was putting some rounds through my Kel-Tec PF9, after getting it back from the warranty shop, & since I am not a good marksman to start with, plus it not being a 'target' pistol, I was all over an 8" target at 21 ft. Another shooter was there with a new .22 revolver & I found out he was from Denmark & his revolver was his first handgun. I asked him if he wanted to try my pistol & showed him how to load a mag & load it in the pistol. His first shot was dead center of the bullseye! He fired 6 rounds with only one barely outside the 2" bull!:hypnotized:

19. t_dickinson

t_dickinson G&G Newbie

Smith & Wesson 52-2

Any muzzle loader. How can you group better than one shot???

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but don't discard the old stuff. A little known but beautiful and **** accurate pistol was the S&W Model 52-2 (there were two that preceded it) designed specifically for bullseye shooting. It fires the .38 special wadcutter only and has the best stock trigger in the galaxy.

S&W wouldn't let em leave the factory unless they did 1.5 at 50 yards. Not too shabby with wadcutters when compared to the ultra-match ammo on the market today.

20. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I think most any standard service semi-auto handgun is going to be more accurate than the shooter. Any of them will be as accurate as the next with the proper practice.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted