What is the most powerful handgun YOU can handle?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by d_p_holland, Sep 8, 2020.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

5-9
    150lbs
    .454casull 2.5” bbl
    315gr @1550fps 86FC370C-8F93-43EF-90BE-E63E4B8CEFC2.jpeg

2. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

If I remember correctly, ......it was this very revolver that heralded in "double" ear protection. :D:D:D

3. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I have 3 handguns in 44 mag the smallest weights 30 ounces. I also have a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt I shoot the hotter loads in. Those are about all I am man enough to shoot. Although none of them actually hurt, but I have a condition called advanced slac wrist, three bones in my wrist need to be removed to stop daily pain. I do not want to force that surgery so, I will not shoot anything bigger and will probably start wearing gloves when I do shoot them.

Actually, I have fired the 50 AE but in the Desert Eagle it is so heavy you do not notice the recoil much. The whole purpose of shooting the big boomers, is to get the big boom, right?

neophyte likes this.
  4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Largest handgun I’ve shot is .44 Mag. It’s workable if need be. .44 Mag is still king IMO. So if you own one and can shoot it effectively, your not sucking wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Ranger4 and neophyte like this.
  5. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

When the Brown Bear/Grizz attacks it is usually swift. A rifle is more often lost. A cross chest handgun rig is likely to remain in place? If you are able to fire your handgun you will smell burning hair. Heavy recoiling firearms often miss at point blank ranges.

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Wouldn’t all guns often miss then?
    I’m thinking you’d have one shot with the barrel held against the bear killing you
    After he tore you to bits he might crawl off to die

7. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

My uncle was a brown bear guide in Alaska. In his lifetime he killed 13 browns. Two of them were wounded client bears that charged, both were shot at about 30 feet but ended at about 10 feet after the one shot. He used a 270 his entire life.

He was very specific about when to shoot a charging bear. Always aiming at the nose when the bear had all 4 on the ground. His theory was you had to hit the head, but if the bullet went to one side it would enter the neck and hopefully shut the bear down or break one of the shoulders.

I recall asking him about the 44 mag for bear defense. He never carried one, said he had heard of them working, but would not add the extra weight since bear defense was a one shot deal and the rifle was far superior.

For person fishing or hiking or at low risk of attack carrying a rifle or shotgun is just too much extra work and weight. Hence the big handguns, best in the cross chest rig where it is always handy, even when you stop to pee, field dress your game or whatever.

Seems right to me. If you only get one shot, the baddest round you can fire makes sense. If you can expect 4-5 shots then of course something that will fire rounds fast makes sense. If you miss the first few, I would not expect the bear to wait. My 2 cents.

8. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Most Grizz attacks result in the loss of a shot gun or rifle. The holstered handgun is always your last chance.