·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Those are neat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have several boxes of paper shotshells.

I also have Dynapoints that were made before the plant was moved-price marked less than $10-several boxes.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Here's a few of my latest 30 caliber finds. Left is an empty Super-X 30 Rem., center a S.A. Co. 303 Savage and right is a Super Speed 30 Army.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: .22 ILARCO,
I'm not sure, don't even remember where I found them(a single round of each). I wish I had many more of each though.
Here is a picture of two ".22 American" (ILARCO) cartridges between a .22 WMR, and next to a .22 LR. both .22 American cartridges have the Super X headstamp, one appears to be a hollow point. These are the only variations I know of.

I once emailed the one company that handles the American-180 parts and accessories, etc. and asked about the ILARCO cartridge. He told me that only around 1,000,000 were made and that only a few hundred remain. He said that no boxes were made for them.

Additionally, If you want a little more info on it,
The cartridge was made to increase the power of the American-180 submachinegun which already existed and shot .22LR. The gun was originally made by American Arms which is where the gun's name comes from (and the cartridge is sometimes referred to as a .22 American.) Illinois Arms Company bought that company and are the ones who worked on the short magnum cartridge. This is were the ILARCO part comes from - ILlinois ARms COmpany

This is the Gun with the 165 round mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Horizontal Pinfires

Here are my rarest cartridges

These are horizontal pinfire cartridges. They are from the 1850s and were mainly experimental designs.

The Longer rifle one was made by a guy named August L. Lenoir. This is one of the very few known examples of the incredibly scarce 13.5x57 Lenoir horizontal pinfire experimental cartridges. August L. Lenoir took out three French patents on this system. The first was in 1849. The second was dated August 9th, 1855 on patent number 24.051 and the third was dated November 11th, 1861 on patent number 51.850. This cartridge dates closest to the second patent. The case is made out of rolled brass foil in a green cardboard tube; both of which are somehow fastened down to the bottom of the drawn brass base shell. The pin goes from the bottom of the base all the way through the inside of the cartridge up to the base of the bullet where a pointed end rests in a primer cup.

The Picture of the Lenoir rifle is not owned by me, only the cartridges.

The revolver cartridges were made by both Chaudun, Devisme and Houiller in the 1840s -1850s. The xray of the revolver cartridge is similar to what they look like inside, but is from another horizontal pinfire I recently bought and will receive from France later this year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Re: .22 ILARCO,

Here is a picture of two ".22 American" (ILARCO) cartridges between a .22 WMR, and next to a .22 LR. both .22 American cartridges have the Super X headstamp, one appears to be a hollow point. These are the only variations I know of.

I once emailed the one company that handles the American-180 parts and accessories, etc. and asked about the ILARCO cartridge. He told me that only around 1,000,000 were made and that only a few hundred remain. He said that no boxes were made for them.

Additionally, If you want a little more info on it,
The cartridge was made to increase the power of the American-180 submachinegun which already existed and shot .22LR. The gun was originally made by American Arms which is where the gun's name comes from (and the cartridge is sometimes referred to as a .22 American.) Illinois Arms Company bought that company and are the ones who worked on the short magnum cartridge. This is were the ILARCO part comes from - ILlinois ARms COmpany

This is the Gun with the 165 round mag.

Great info Aaron and thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Lil' dog

Here's the 5.75 mm Velo Dog. Neat little round about the size of a 22 WMR. I believe this is the base cartridge for the Cooper Centerfire Magnum cartridge but am not for certain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
356 tsw

Here's a waste of R&D and marketing, the 356 TSW. Apparently they just had to have a cartridge 0.053" shorter than the 38 Super but I don't know why. I couldn't even find it in Cartridges Of The World or any of the usual reloading manuals where oddities are often found.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
2 odd 45's

Here are the 450 Corto and the 455 Colt. I wish that I could have found the Schofield for comparison but couldn't and used the 45 Colt instead. I actually wanted all 4 for a lineup, maybe next time. 2 more pics in following post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
The 455 case length and the side by side. It's bullet weighs 265 grs. but I do not know what the Corto weighs. It must be as long as the case. These are borrowed for taking pics or I'd pull a bullet to find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have a box of Western X 38 specials the box is yellow 158 grain Lubaloy. And a red box of Revelation 243 Win 100 grain soft points. somewhere I have a box of 32 short Colt ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I didn't realise it had already been mentioned in post 14 when I typed. I just didn't edit it.

61 - 80 of 227 Posts