what is this called? dillon part

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, May 25, 2008.

  1. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    what is this so i can look it up and find out how to use it?
  2. Looks like a "FIIK" to me. How big is it?

  3. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    about 3 in.

    it is alignment tool #72
    i found it elsewhere
  4. neophyte

    neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

    String yank

    billy: Sir; FIIK
    Freak if I Know
  5. Well done Neophyte!

    (except the Brits don't use the work Freak)
  6. neophyte

    neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor


    wunhunglo: Sir; to Americanize; that might get my behind in a sling with "Chris" and the other 'Mods":09:

    Should have reported as :)such; "muck on the luck while shaving the Duck"

    'Wack' "quack" enjoying the slippery muck.:09:
  7. samuel

    samuel G&G Newbie

    Good thing you said it was only 3"long!I thought at first you had gone ICBM. sam.
  8. runfiverun

    runfiverun G&G Evangelist

    i don't know what they are for either i have two of them i use one as a case flairing tool for cast bullets in my 7.7
  9. sonny2u2

    sonny2u2 Guest

  10. SwedeSteve

    SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

    That is a hookemupper dinginflinger. Ja sure!
  11. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    i asked on another forum where there are a buncha rabid dillon fans.
    mebbe they can help?
  12. sonny2u2

    sonny2u2 Guest

    If you clean up the ring groove near the bottom, is there a number(s) or a letter etched into the groove?

    The bottom of it (as it sits on the table) looks like a standard dillon powder funnel, but I don't have any powder funnels that look like that on the top. Usually the tops (again, as it is shown in the picture) has a counterbore to accept the neck of a cartridge.
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  13. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    no markings and it is solid metal not a tube
  14. sonny2u2

    sonny2u2 Guest

    Did you send your pic to Dillon and ask them?
  15. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    not yet.
    it aint on the dillon site.
  16. sonny2u2

    sonny2u2 Guest

    it's got me puzzled, because the groove on the bottom of it looks just like the groove on a powder funnel, but with it being solid, it's obviously not that. Does the part slide up into your dillon powder die? My 550 started out as an AT500 with a manual powder die, (no automatic powder drop). The groove on the powder funnel was used to lock the funnel into place using a set screw on the side of the manual powder die. Maybe it's someones attempt at building some sort of belling tool. The reason I'm so puzzled is that I've had a Dillon for many years,........bought all kinds of accessories and crap for it, but have never seen anything like that. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.
  17. I haven't any clue but I'll throw this out there. Could it be a/the powder plug of sorts? The space at the bottom looks like maybe a spring or something else, maybe a slotted piece slides over it there or might go there and the top of it where it's tapered looks like it might go into something to plug it? Again. I admit, I have no clue but thought I'd throw that out there?

    Might it be for the/a shell plate? Look at the part laying next to the shell plate I found on eBay? Not exact but close. Maybe they've redesigned since that one?

    DILLON 9MM & 38 SUPER 550 CONVERSION FOR RELOADING - eBay (item 170221926085 end time May-29-08 12:10:13 PDT)

    One other thing I guess I'd point out, it might not even go to the press? Maybe it was just something in one of the boxes sent to you? lol One of those parts you run all over trying to figure out only to find out it has nothing to do with anything? lmao Ya' never know...

    I found another eBay auction and again, it doesn't look exact but it does have that slotted section. It just might be the same but only an older design maybe?

    Dillon Precision 550 B 45 ACP Caliber Conversion - eBay (item 130224039196 end time May-29-08 18:00:00 PDT)
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  18. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    another dillon guy said he's got 2 of em and he doesnt know either!
    the plot thickens........

    online i found it referred to as a primer alignment tool
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  19. Tigercat200

    Tigercat200 G&G Evangelist

    I wish someone would figure this out since I found one in my box of Dillon extra "stuff". I could find no reference to it in the Dillon 550 book. And so it continues...................

  20. billy

    billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

    this is what i got from that other site
    when you take the shell plate base off the press for whatever reason you use that to align the base to the tool head m I used it on a 450 when I upgraded to a 550.........Dean

    from dillon

    This is a platform alignment tool. If the platform is ever removed
    From the top of the shaft, this tool is used during reassembly to
    Ensure the platform is in alignment with the toolhead.
    Last edited: May 29, 2008