What is this one?

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by glovereggs, Apr 29, 2008.

1. glovereggs

glovereggs Guest

My grandfather just passed away and while half the family are gun nuts, no one really wants to keep this rifle. However, before I try to sell it for my grandmother, I would like an idea of what I have and what it is worth.

The printing on the barrel says:
    Fabrica Dearmas
    Oviedo

2518 is stamped on both the bolt and 2J 2518 is stamped on the barrel.

I tried to attach a photo, I hope it works.

Any information that people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. First off, if I haven't said it on another post, welcome to the site.
    Secondly, why don't you get it or keep it or ask to have it? The picture worked fine by the way. And it looks great. Man, if I were you I'd get it and just hang onto it. Entirely your call though. And give it a little time, someone will have answers. Good luck, wich you'd come back and say you're gonna keep it. lol

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You have a Spanish Mauser...Since it is sporterized, it is worth 100 Dollars Tops!
    Rich

4. Hi Glovereggs welcome to G&G. You have an Oviedo Spanish Mauser. It is either a Model 1893 or 1916. They should have a rib on the left side of the reciever that the bolt slides in. The bolt should be squared off on the bottom. They were originally 7mm Mauser.
    Serial numbers are a 2 then a letter and from one to four numbers. Like yours is.
    Because it is sporterized (called bubba'd on here) I cant really tell which it is. But Im leaning more to the 1893 because of the Fabrica De Armas on the reciever. If it was in original condition it would be worth $400 to about $800. In the sporterized condition like Moose said $100 to $150.
    That should help you some.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Samco was selling them full military for 129.00...They are out of stock right now....
    Rich

6. Then your sporter is worth less than $100.

7. glovereggs

glovereggs Guest

More Information

Thank you for the information already given. I really do not know anything about non-US weapons.

I am attaching pictures showing the bolt of the rifle. I understand that the rifle was probably modified, but I guess the question is why was it? I know that my grandfather bought it several years ago. It still takes 7 mm, or at least that was what he had boxes of. I know it needs a good cleaning and oiling too. It was wrapped up in his closet for years.

Again any information to educate me about this rifle is greatly appreciated.
    -Andrea

Attached Files:

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The original Military Rifle had a full wood stock, cleaning rod, and barrel bands!
    People bought these surplus rifles years ago for less than 20 bucks, and a lot of them were Sporterized (Stocks replaced or cut down) into cheap Deer hunting rifles...That is what you have. Collectors want Original Military rifles, hence the lower Market Value !
    Rich

9. It looks like it has a 98 action and you should take it and clean it up then use it.
    If it's 7mm caliber it's one of the best and it was your GrandFathers .
    Use it from time to time to Deer hunt with.

Now what caliber is it ? 7mm something or just 7mm. I have a Argentine Mauser that looks simlar but it's 7.65 mm
    Let us know please ...A.H

10. glovereggs

glovereggs Guest

The ammo that was stored with the rifle is stamped on top:
    F C
    7mm Mauser

The lead is jacketed but other than that it looks like a normal rifle shell.

11. turner

turner Guest

Sounds like you have a rifle with possibly some sentimental value if not a great deal of monetary value. The 7x57 caliber is excellent for deer and similar game and ammo is relatively inexpensive as well. You should likely take it to a (trusted) gunsmith to have it's true condition established and if you prefer shooting with a scope, a competent gunsmith can install a 1 or 2 piece base for you for a relatively good price (around $40+cost of the base chosen). You'd have a decent ole deer rifle with a bit of sentiment to enjoy a day of hunting with from time to time. Just a suggestion...good luck!

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I'd def get it inspected,then take her out and put her back to work!

13. After looking at your pics of the bolt I retract what I said before. While it is still an Oviedo Spanish Mauser it is newer than a 1916. The bolt is round not flat on one side. But like every one else said take it out and shoot it. Mausers are a great rifle. Very strong actions. Easy to maintain. Good shooting to you Glovereggs Andrea.

14. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Great little rifle for hunting. Get it and keep it and by all means use it. Even if you just take it out to the range to play.