What is this piece called on this Husky 1640?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by d_p_holland, Sep 23, 2020.

1. There is a long piece that's shaped like the handle on a refrigerator door and has the big ol' extractor claw at one end. My grandfather's early-1960's Husky had a similar type extractor but the bolt on his rifle was jeweled. Not sure what model grandad's Husky was. It had ".308 Nitro" stamped over the chamber and Husqvarna Vapenfabriks stamped on the barrel. After many years of sitting in a leather case sans gun sock, this rifle developed small amounts of rust inside the letter stamping impressions that a toothbrush and gun oil immediately removed. I sold grandad's Husky in 1999. Beautiful gun but had drawbacks: sticky bolt though jeweled, kicked like a mule, couldn't get the gun on paper at 100 yards with iron sights adjustable for elevation. I did like this Husky's polished/smooth round-knob bright metal bolt handle which is not common these days on newer rifles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    jwrauch likes this.

2. That whole big clunky rotary thing is the extractor. Controlled feed ala Mauser 98. A must required by PHs on African safaris for dangerous game. Push-feed great for plains game and American game. You have to be carefully to rotate that extractor to a certain position to get the bolt back into the receiver of the gun.

jwrauch likes this.
  3. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

Controlled feed bolts are no problem at all.

jwrauch likes this.
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have had these extractors taken out and put back so many times. I have a few dozen Mauser rifles and very familiar as I have taken the bolts apart quite a bit. They even make a tool for the extractor collar to take it off. I have never had one or needed it. I have even bought the new extractors and have an extra long claw so you can shape it yourself. Reason is for a smaller rimmed shell like a 7.62x39 if you rechamber and re barrel to build your own. I have a few extra extractors and collars in my inventory.

jwrauch, austinjoe13 and noelekal like this.
  5. I think push-feed bolts are now common because gun makers are being cheap.

My mother and father bought that new Husky for my grandpa as a present while stationed in Germany with the Air Force in 1962. This was a few years even before my time. My father said that gun was $200 even then from the BX. That rifle even had the personal Swedish name (Olaf something) of the stock maker on a tag. The stock was all hand made and hand checkered walnut with natural/oil rubbed finish, not cheesy poly gloss. Boy, the Europeans, with the all the pride of Patton and peacocks not to mention the work ethic of an Amish farm horse, sure put out a bang-up job of Old World craftsmanship back in the day.

What is $200 in 1962 adjusted for inflation today?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    jwrauch likes this.
  6. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

I agree. Today's firearms are cheap-o. The alternative unfortunately, would be new guns that are out of reach of many gun owners.

7. The push-feed bolts in guns under $600 will do for most blue-collar American deer hunters and weekend songdog poppers. It only becomes an issue when hunting African dangerous big game. In America we have dangerous animals too like kodiak, grizzly and polar bears. But if you are rich enough to book an Alaskan, Canadian, Asian or African hunt to go after something so exotic, dangerous and man-eating, you are rich enough to buy a fitting premium controlled-feed rifle to boot.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

There are also several aftermarket custom actions that are available in controlled feed.
    My American Rifle Co. Nucleus action is a controlled feed action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jwrauch likes this.
  9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

yeah push feeds suck.
    they'd never use them in a machine gun or a semi auto pistol to defend a country or the presidents life or anything like that.

Palladin8, jwrauch and Brandhard like this.
  10. Safari PH's won't allow clients to hunt with push-feed rifles: liability issue; push feeds are probably necessary for fast-shooting weapons like machine guns and semi-autos; isn't the AK-47 a push-feed?

Now, what type of feed (chambering, lock-up and extraction/ejection) systems do lever-action rifles use like the Savage 99 and the Winchester/Henry/Marlin late 1800's-something cowboy guns? How about the Remington and Timber Wolf pump rifles?

11. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

It depends on the game, and the PH. One I met carries a custom Tikka T3 in 375H&H; he calls it 'the black b!itch' because it weighs 6lbs. However, he does switch to a double rifle for dangerous game, and that is where some will require controlled round feed. I've talked with various PH's and multi-trip clients, alike, and no one has said 'you need controlled round feed.'

Other than that, I think Run's sarcasm was lost on you, or you just felt the need to read too far into it.

12. runfiverun

so no Remington 700's on safari, or mauser 1901-1905's, or Lee Enfields, or lever rifles, or Sako's, Savage's, or AR anythings.
    no Winchester 12-1300-1400 super X-1-2-3-4's and 75% of their rifle line up is out.
    no Remington 870's, no benelli's, [rifle or shotgun] no Blaser's, Beretta's or Browning's.

my 80-100 y.o. K-98, Arisaka and 03A3 are okay though.
    they must hang from their feet to shoot there.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  13. You might get away with shooting plains game in Africa with a push-feed gun. Your elephant gun had better be a controlled-feed. The biggest game I'm most ambitious about taking is an American doe.

14. The two Ruger Americans (sans controlled feed) as I have (6.5 CM and 5.56) are excluded from sub-Saharan Africa too unless after plains game. Is the 6.5 CM sufficient enough for antelope on an open plain even up to wildebeest size? A 5.56 might bring down a dik-dik. A bull wildebeest, the largest antelope species (plains game species) weights up to 640 pounds. A bull moose weighs up to 1,500 pounds. The Swedes have been successfully hunting moose with their own 6.5 caliber for decades. This following video shows a gnu taken summarily with the Creed in a 143 grain bullet. The controversial Creed certainly has North American non-dangerous big-game potential. Deer, pronghorn, elk, moose, caribou, sheep and mountain goat. I also would not discount the Creed for cougar, wolf or black bear. Now for polar, kodiak, brown and grizzly bear, I dunno.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  15. runfiverun

yes the 6.5 is plenty enough for plains game.
    it works just fine on elk and moose [and has in a push feed rifle for about 120 years now]
    so you have to move up a good bit in size before it doesn't.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  16. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

Oh, I wouldn't be averse to hunting dangerous game with proven a push feed bolt-action. The most potent rifle I have on hand is a 1980s Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum and it's push feed. I just admire the well regulated controlled feed bolt-action design more than I do any push feed bolt-actions I have. I find them more appealing to own and use.

Just personal preference.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

D.P., You really need to quite watching youtube video's. They make you seem a lot dumber than I hope you really are when it comes to firearms.

Most outfitter's don't care about the type of cartridge feed your rifle has, they are more concerned that you use a cartridge and bullet that will get the job done on the game that you're hunting.
    If you have enough money to hunt Dangerous game in Africa, chances are you own a rifle that cost more than the price of the animal that you are planning on killing.

18. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Good article..... I was going to post that my opinion was that a few posts were a lot of hooey.....If the push round feed doesn't work right....it is almost 99.9 percent that it is because of operator error. If you CF doesn't work right.....same thing. If your first shot doesn't stop the beastie.....(DO NOT hold the rifle over your head and then work the bolt.) Just work the bolt with a firm back action till it stops....then crisply forward. Pretty simple.

Huey Rider and austinjoe13 like this.