What is your best long range .22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rex in OTZ, May 1, 2008.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

What is your favorite long distance .22Lr rifle. Scopes vs Open sights
    Bolts vs others?

2. No .22 is good past 75 yards.
    But the most accurate is a bolt gun with a good scope.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Winchester M52 bolt. I haven't shot it in ages though!

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

BSA International Mk.II Martini-action singleshot.
    Sub-inch group at 100 yards, using CCI Standard ammo and multi-aperture peep sights.

The closing of many British gun clubs makes these one-time match rifles available to us! I paid $395 for the rifle, $200 for the sights.

Second is my Winchester Model 75T - shoots nearly as good, but using a 6X steel-tube Weaver scope.

Gotta love those heavy-barreled target rifles! :)

5. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

I've got an old Stevens M53B Buckhorn with a NcStar 2x7 on it. Bolt action, single shot, deadly accurate..

Attached Files:

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

cz 452 varmint

up to 70 yds. it is a precision shooter.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  7. I've been meaning to scope my Marlin 2000L for ages and never seem to get around to it. With the Williams peep sight, it'll shoot much better than my eyes and skills will permit. At 50m, I've gotten groups as small as 3/4" if I don't count my inevitable flyers, but the test target that came with it says it's capable of less than 1/2". With a good scope and a good shooter, sub-MOA at 100m wouldn't suprise me at all. I've always been very curious to see what it's capable of doing at 100m.

8. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Savage Mark II-BTVS bolt action with a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50AO scope. With a rest I see no problem out to 100 yards or perhaps a bit more for very small game like gophers (ground squirrels). Got one at 95 yards with a single shot last time out hunting. It requires a steady rest, accurate ammo, good accurate gun that is well sighted in, and a shooter that knows the trajectory. I think these are more important than the ultra high velocity loads which have more energy out at a distance. More important to hit what you aim at.

Ron

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    not good past 75yds, get real. this one will put 'em all under a nickel at 100yds all day long. its good enough i have no fear about being able to outshoot most centerfires with it at 100yds.

Attached Files:

10. I have no dobt you can shoot groups like that a 100 yd. But it dosen't have the energy to kill small game at that distance. I should have made that more clear. Pardon my err.

11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i'll also challenge you on that. when i was younger, i used to smoke muskrats (owning a swamp wasnt always a bad thing) out to 200yds with an old pump winchester 22lr. yes, its not a good choice for larger small game animals at any distance.

12. It could be done but not ethically. I wouldn't shoot a squirrel with a .22 LR past 75 yards, but with a .22 mag ot .17 HMR I would.

13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    well, i'll disagree. one shot in the head at any range with a 22lr, and ive never had 1 rat keep moving.

14. Well I'm just not going to do it. Each to his own. I have hunted may a squirrel with a .22 and I would feel much better carring a bigger gun for squirrels past 75 yards.

15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    im not going to force you too. part of "ethics" is knowing your own limitations and abilities.

16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

With the proper rifle (I have one), and a good pair of eyes (I don't have anymore) the 22lr is pretty accurate!

17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    thats why i use big scopes now days. its amazing to think what i could do with a rifle with tiny iron sights when i was young.

18. I'd have to agree with leftyO. Many .22 rifles shoot very well @ and up to 100yds. Granted, there are some that don't.

LeftyO, what kind is that one if I might ask? And what scope have you got on that thing? Talk about reaching out and touching something. lol

19. alaskamonte

alaskamonte Suspended

Ya Know Andy?

Somebody posted an external link to a gent shooting a store bought turkey wrapped in four layers of clothing and duct tape on another thread here yesterday (can't find it now), anywho this fella whacked the bird at 250yds with complete penetration using the .22LR.

Could be Andy, ya need to expand your limitations?

20. That would defiently be what I call UNETHICAL!