Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What holster or holsters have you settled on to holster your handguns? I'm not a concealed carry person but want atleast one holster for each of my handguns. I think a standard belt holster or hunting chests holster would work well for my 6" revolver. As for a medium sized automatic, I think the military nylon holster works. Are there accessories to convert it to a shoulder holster? What holsters have you chosen and why? Does the Kydex plastic holsters wear out the bluing on pistols. Is leather or suede best for them? Do Glocks have a finish that wears out?

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Personal protective equipment Gun accessory Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

I've got one of these (Serpa Sportster) retention (button release) paddle style for a 1911. More secure, less expensive than leather.
One of these for Springfield XDS. They used to make this one without retention button, just a retention adjustable screw. I don't see them available still.

Found the non-button retention Blackhawk I have. Midway USA has them and on sale.
BLACKHAWK! Standard CQC Paddle Holster Right Hand Glock 26 27 33 (midwayusa.com)

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
I'd still carry at one handgun concealed. The other in a belt rig. Usually set up as a semi drop rig. I absolutely hate the ones hanging halfway down to the knee however.

Also holster wear on a Glock 26 after 7days a week and some days 24hr carry of a Glock 26 in every type of weather for close to 7months now:
Rectangle Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior Composite material

Gadget Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Rectangle

The below is the rear sight of the Ameriglo two dot tritium sight. Most times I don't hear people talk too much about wear on sights of EDC handguns but it's bound to happen.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Material property Automotive exterior

Enjoy the clothes lint and body gunk close ups. I thought I'd snap these picks before I did my nightly wipe down/cleaning routine.😛

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 178698

I've got one of these (Serpa Sportster) retention (button release) paddle style for a 1911. More secure, less expensive than leather.
One of these for Springfield XDS. They used to make this one without retention button, just a retention adjustable screw. I don't see them available still.

Found the non-button retention Blackhawk I have. Midway USA has them and on sale.
BLACKHAWK! Standard CQC Paddle Holster Right Hand Glock 26 27 33 (midwayusa.com)
Have you found the Serpa to cause less wear on your finish compared to a Fobus? What advantages do you like of this Serpa compared to the Fobus?

· Registered
9,229 Posts
I have IWB, OWB (with paddle release), holsters for a revolver, shoulder carry, chest rig, and I even have the holster that hangs down to just above the knee. We have four seasons and depending on how much clothes or jackets I need to wear will often dictate a holster change. My preferred is IWB, with OWB as my second choice. Least favorite is the knee level holster, not good for running. The other thing, it's wise to check and clean your firearm more often if you holster carry...I check and clean/lube on the first day of Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter - that seems to work best for me.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you use a shoulder holster, doesn't it get in your way when you hike and your arms are swinging? I think a chest holder would work well for hunting but I want my binoculars on my chest too fo easy access. I'm sure you are or were concerned about surface wear and this question comes up very often. What holsters provide the least wear on bluing?

· Registered
1,239 Posts
When you use a shoulder holster, doesn't it get in your way when you hike and your arms are swinging? I think a chest holder would work well for hunting but I want my binoculars on my chest too fo easy access. I'm sure you are or were concerned about surface wear and this question comes up very often. What holsters provide the least wear on bluing?
I have maybe 100 holsters, about every duty rig ever, most of the shoulder holsters, top brands and el cheapo, leather, nylon and all of the ninja plastic holsters.

I have carried in harms way many times and I have carried in church as well. I was armed when I was married, both times, and my best man was armed, both times. The two of us graduated from a major University armed. I carried for 2 branches of the service, 4 different LEO jobs, etc. I say all that to say this.

Nobody can tell you what fits you with a particular gun, your body makes a bid difference.

You asked about should carry. I carried both 1911s and wheel guns in shoulder rigs, the Jackazz Rig now know as the Miami Classis is still the best. My used ones are going to $200-$250 on line. But several companies have copied them well and you should not pay over about $100. Also, in that style it is critical that you get the leather with the swede straps, the are comfortable. As far as vertical carry, I have Bianci and Safariland on others. Pay for the name on the vertical carry rigs. They save you when you carry a heavy gun like my Ruger Redhawk of SW model 29, when you get the big wheel guns they do not work well on the belt, unless you wear suspenders.

You asked about hiking. No they do not restrict you at all, in fact they balance you. You just put ammo on one side of your body or shoulder rig to make the weight about even. You back pack can help with that. In my protective service jobs, we often had to run to keep up or get ahead of the important official we were there to protect. If you have a big gun on the belt, you have to hold it down if you run, in the should rig it should be tie down and not an issue, it will not flop around like an OWB rig.

When you run with an IWB holster, you will have problems, even the best swede is going to sweat and rub every time you take a stride.

Your scenario is when the SHTF, that calls for concealment 100% of the time. Does not mean a concealed holster, just the gun out of sight. If the bad guys are coming to steal your food or ammo a gun showing is just like the point man in the military, you shoot that guy as soon as convenient, maybe not at first sight, but when they see the gun, you are tagged and will be killed first. Just think about it, if your family is starving and you might want to steal a chicken down the way and a guy walks out with a gun showing, you have few choices, offer to buy the chicken, or try to explain why your are there, and it is the SHTF already, so everybody is a likely bad guy, but especially the guy showing a gun.

Summer means a big loose shirt of some kind. Or a small pistol in the pocket or maybe the IWB AND a big gun close, close means 10-20, not 10 20 yards because people will walk up to your yard also. The bigger pistol must be close and long gun not far away. In my mind survival is more about tactics and planning than guns. You cannot have too much ammo and guns, and you can sell of trade them, and if yours are stolen, you have more hidden away, right? Gotta have a fall back plan.

Back to carry rigs. I have Glocks and other 9mms and lots of plastic guns. You can put them in the Kydex or other plastic, they will all scratch, but who cares if your Glock scratches. If you put stainless steel revolvers or pistols like 1911s in them they will scratch. I have nice 1911s, and I have a couple that are purely for combat with man or animal, I put them in Kydex, the Fobus brand and all of those. My nice 38 super I would never put in any Kydex or other plastic holster, unless it was my last gun. No finish made is totally safe from them.

Leather and Nylon will keep a nice gun looking nice. Leather and nylon is quiet. Nobody sneaking around behind the FEBA is wearing a plastic holster, too noisy. Same thing hunting, I will not wear them. If you do, get the minimalist you can find, like that tiny belt slide for the Glocks, they work fine.

Tomorrow I leave to go deer hunting. I normally carry a tiny 9mm in the pocket, it is black powder and I will be walking out in the dark. I have a 2.5 inch Model 66, SW, that I mounted a set of laser grips one, it will be carried in a leather holster on the hip, witht180 grain bullets in it. They have seen 2 cougars on the place, coyotes are everywhere.

In gun season, I expect I will take a 44 or 45 loaded with Deer/Bear bullets in case I get a close mule deer or white tail. I have carried the big guns on the hip, with suspenders of course. This time, a vertical leather shoulder rig will be n order. I have carried the SW 44 many times in it, you forget it is even there, even though it weighs 3 pounds. No one ever sees my hunting guns because I wear camo and a leave suit when I hunt, ever with orange on, the leaf suit kills the outline.

Just my experience. When I started carrying for a living I was thin and muscular, 31 wait and 48 chest, now it is about the opposite, LOL The shoulder rigs work for all body sizes, but you must adjust them for the perfect fit, many people do not and then complain. Also, the shoulder rigs are the quickest method for things like a car jacking, the gun is already at your left window. Another thought is what you drive, in my truck or jeep or 4x4 or horse, the shoulder rig works great. A strong side carry is often a problem with seat belts and other gear on a horse. Also, if you carry a long gun on the should with a sling, you do not want to carry on the same side, I have had the sling catch on a gun but more than once, dumb thing, I learned.

Last comment. You can buy a belt slide that will fit, everything, at least one small and one large will do so. I find them great, they will fit my 1911, all my Glocks, my K and L and N frame revolvers, just stick the gun in and go. You should buy one just for those days when you are in an out and must leave the gun, like going into a Post Office which is always a crime with a gun these days.

Anyway, let us know what you decide. My last tip, price has no relation to function. The cheapest nylon holster out there may be perfect for some guns in some situations. I have an IWM nylon, Uncle Mikes, I think that was about $10 that I use for my Glock, more than the 100 or so that fill my two holster boxes. FWIW

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Have you found the Serpa to cause less wear on your finish compared to a Fobus? What advantages do you like of this Serpa compared to the Fobus?
They are about the same. The Fobus (if I remember) has a hex type screw to adjust tension.
The Blackhawk is different (a screw I think).
Haven't seen finish wear with either.

· Registered
424 Posts
I don't do the CC stuff, although I took the class and qualified best in the class. In New Mexico it is legal to strap a gun on your hip and walk around town. Not that I would do that often. All things considered, there is someting to be said about a large handgun worn where anybody can see it. Kind'a like a shotgun, it carries the message you are serious and ready to do what it takes. One thing I recommend is to have a good, proper fitting holster for every handgun you might want to carry. With my stainless revolvers I don't have to worry about holster wear. Someday people will learn when SHTF, it is not the time to try and buy ammo, guns or holsters.

· Registered
9,229 Posts
Those are all valid points and that's why you need a variety of holsters. I was keeping a SHTF perspective - personal safety offensive and defensive. Wasn't looking at hunting.
I find the leather/suede holsters cause much less wear on you bluing. I've been very happy with these two. The leather holster for my full size firearm and the Cytac for my compact XDs.

Handgun holster Gesture Everyday carry Rectangle Font
Rectangle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Font

· Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Since there is no practical way that my area can be effectively evacuated in the event of a disaster, the only plan is to shelter in place. So my SHTF won't really change. If there's a nuclear exchange, then it won't matter anyway since Norfolk Va is going to be one of the first regions to catch a russian city buster (megaton plus size warhead) I'll just stand out on my patio, crack a beer and watch the sun rise for the second time that day, and the last time for me and my family

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't do the CC stuff, although I took the class and qualified best in the class. In New Mexico it is legal to strap a gun on your hip and walk around town. Not that I would do that often. All things considered, there is someting to be said about a large handgun worn where anybody can see it. Kind'a like a shotgun, it carries the message you are serious and ready to do what it takes. One thing I recommend is to have a good, proper fitting holster for every handgun you might want to carry. With my stainless revolvers I don't have to worry about holster wear. Someday people will learn when SHTF, it is not the time to try and buy ammo, guns or holsters.
I want atleast one holster for each of my handguns. I don't want to walk around looking like Tuco in the movie, The Good, Bad, and the Ugly where he puts his handgun in his pocket and uses a string as a lanyard.

· Global Warming Enthusiast
4,333 Posts
What holster?? If SHTF happens I want my gun in my hand not the holster. If it's in the holster it gives the other guy a chance to get close enough to get a good shot.
The holster for my Glock, in case my AR jams and I need to go to my backup. ;)

· Registered
13,250 Posts
The last thing I am worried about is whether or not the finish on my carry piece shows wear from the holster. currently I carry a Ruger 380 in a pocket holster. I used to carry a 38 in a shoulder holster for years. And then a P14 Para in either a shoulder of belt rig. If the bluing wears off that is not a problem it simply, to me, means that the piece was trustworthy enough for the owner to carry everyday

· Registered
113 Posts
In a SHTF scenario I would most likely be using one of my rifles or tactical shotgun for SD or offensive move, but I would also have a sidearm with me for sure. One of my favorite holsters is this Don Hume fast draw high ride thumb break holster for my Ruger .45 P90 DC. I found it online a few years ago, and it also fits my full size Ruger SR9. Roughly 2" of the muzzle sits in the holster, and only requires a 2" draw to clear the holster due to the open slit on the front. It rides very securely in the holster and requires the thumb snap release to be able to remove the gun from the holster.

Another one of my favorites for my 6" Ruger GP100 or the 6" Colt King Cobra is this Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster. It works well in the brush because its a nice tight fit and it covers the hammer and trigger of the revolver. I primarily use it as a field holster for my sidearm when I'm hunting, but it should do just fine in a SHTF scenario.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My problem is that I have too many things I want and not enough money. To get the most from my money, I'm thinking of buying military style holsters first. For me 45, I think the tanker holder will work fine and the side holster. If possible, I'll line it with suede. My BHP fits into the M12 holster but does anyone know if there is a chest or shoulder holster strap that attaches to this? For years I have a Fobus for my 1911. When I test my .45 cast loads in a month, I'll see if the handgun fits. I never used the holster. Maybe I should try it out with a C02 handgun I was gifted and see how it draws. Thanks for your advice Ranger4. I am still thinking of further options but don't have plans to own 100 holsters though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts