Gun and Game Forum banner

What is your ratio of rifles to handguns?

• Heavy on rifles

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Heavy on handguns

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Just about even

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • My boat sank with my guns in a heavy storm so can't say

Votes: 10 34.5%
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have way too many and some grand kids looking forward to a big payday. Downsizing now due to age and health. I only have about a 500 factory 410 shells, but I reload, I have maybe 200 new cases and that many used ones to fill. A 410 is a wonderful way to learn to shoot. Especially for older people who have shot 12s all their lives. I have singles, a double, a pump, a handgun, an original snake charmer- the one only made in Dallas, and a Marlin 1895 all in 410. Just some novelties I picked up along the way. Never owned one until I was older then I bought one to shoot skunks in the yard and then another and another and the found a Mec loader cheap. I can load a 410 for (primer 8 cents, shot cup 2 cents, powder 8 maybe and shot, 8 cents, I forgot, but the total cost is about 26 cents or less. A box of 25 is $6.50 or less. It I load buckshot from wheel weights even less.

For those who do not know a 357 mag bullet fits perfectly in a 410 shot cup and when loaded in a 410 are really accurate out to maybe 50 yards. I have not chronographed them but also have 357 mag rifles and they seem about the same, pretty darn fast. They will do 1200-1250 with 220 grains of shot, with a 158 grain bullet and a little more powder, I would think maybe 1,600 fps, plenty good for deer at bow ranges. Or for defense, think about it 158 grains at 1,600 fps out of a double or a pump. That would work.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm about even too. I have guns of each class that I don't really use. If I trimmed those out I'd probably be slightly handgun heavy.
I've trimmed and went slightly to the rifle thing. I got to mention this:
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory

I found value here.

Now going back say 3 years; I was handgun heavy. I got the gospel and went more rifle due to the pricing. I joined here with rifle people. Just my opinion and nothing against anyone else.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
But that’s Canadian Waters.
Only half of it is theirs..... I've been chased back across to our side when we got a little too close to fishing on their side.

Charter captain says, "how many of you boys have Canadian fishing license? Reel em' in, we gotta go"

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Only half of it is theirs..... I've been chased back across to our side when we got a little too close to fishing on their side.

Charter captain says, "how many of you boys have Canadian fishing license? Reel em' in, we gotta go"
Your pipper on the map was north of the border indication. I remember when stopping on the Canuck side for gas and a burger was no big deal, while chugging for walleye on the Detroit river. Yeah, there was a pay phone and a sign to call customs if you would be staying over 30 minutes, but nobody really cared.
On the St. Clair river up towards Marysville grampa had a thing for the Canadian side. A few times he veered west pretty quick and whispered to pull up the lines. He didn’t want to buy a Canadian license, or pay the ticket for not having one. Lol.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I don't know. I never thought about it. Why does it matter in the total scheme of things?????? :oops:

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
I have way too many and some grand kids looking forward to a big payday. Downsizing now due to age and health. I only have about a 500 factory 410 shells, but I reload, I have maybe 200 new cases and that many used ones to fill. A 410 is a wonderful way to learn to shoot. Especially for older people who have shot 12s all their lives. I have singles, a double, a pump, a handgun, an original snake charmer- the one only made in Dallas, and a Marlin 1895 all in 410. Just some novelties I picked up along the way. Never owned one until I was older then I bought one to shoot skunks in the yard and then another and another and the found a Mec loader cheap. I can load a 410 for (primer 8 cents, shot cup 2 cents, powder 8 maybe and shot, 8 cents, I forgot, but the total cost is about 26 cents or less. A box of 25 is $6.50 or less. It I load buckshot from wheel weights even less.

For those who do not know a 357 mag bullet fits perfectly in a 410 shot cup and when loaded in a 410 are really accurate out to maybe 50 yards. I have not chronographed them but also have 357 mag rifles and they seem about the same, pretty darn fast. They will do 1200-1250 with 220 grains of shot, with a 158 grain bullet and a little more powder, I would think maybe 1,600 fps, plenty good for deer at bow ranges. Or for defense, think about it 158 grains at 1,600 fps out of a double or a pump. That would work.
Makes notes to self about 357 bullets. Would a 45lc or acp fit those?

Reactions: graybeard

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Makes notes to self about 357 bullets. Would a 45lc or acp fit those?
No, noo, NOOOO!. The 410 shotgun is always .410 inches. 99% of them are full choke and may be even less. A 41 caliber lead bullet might be safe if there were no shot cup or anything around it. There are people who shoot lead bullets in the lever action 410s like the Marlin 1895, the Rossi lever action 410 and the more recent Henry lever action 410 shotgun. Winchester also made the model 9410 but they are rare collectors items now, few people shoot them. They have no rifling so not very accurate. But they use lead 41 caliber bullets in them.

What confuses everybody is the Taurus Judge and the SW Governor which I also load for. They are bored for 45 caliber and take bullets that are .451-.454 inches. Since the 45 Colt cases are so big the 410 shotgun shell will fit inside the much larger 45 colt chamber and the shot and buckshot just go down the barrel and deal with the rifling the best they can. Since they are pistols and shooting bird shot and buck shot at short range accuracy is not a big deal. I have the Governor and am pleased with it for very short range work. It shoots the 45 Colt and 45 acp just fine.

The first picture here is of a 410 case, a 45 bullet a 410 commercial slug I am loading and a load 454 Casull that I just loaded today. The second picture is the regular 410 slug that a re-loader might use. It measures 0.396. The third picture is a 410 case which measures 0.420 on the inside. So, it would not take the 45 caliber bullet intended for the 45 acp or the 45 LC. But, what I had mentioned and probably confused people is that you can take a regular 9mm bullet that is 0.355 or a 38/357 bullet that is .357 or .358 and they fit very well inside the regular shot cup that you normally load in a 410. Then you just load it like you would any 1/2 ounce 410 shell crimp it and you have a 158 grain 357 bullet coming out as fast as any 357 pistol. We shot some recently from a little Rossi single shot youth model and were shooting through old plywood at 30-40 feet and were very impressed.

Automotive lighting Liquid Office supplies Lipstick Wood
Watch Analog watch Clock Liquid Flash photography
Calipers Watch Gauge Analog watch Measuring instrument

From a survival standpoint, a person can take any 410 bird shot and just cut the front open and pour out the birdshot and insert a 357 or 9mm bullet and you have a pretty good short range round. Or some people just cut them open and fill the existing shot with hot clue which makes them a frangible round and supposedly make a self defense load. I have not tried that one. Anyway, no the 45 are too big but the small 9mm and 357 bullets work fine.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts

Where did you find your load data to load .357 bullets in a 410? I'm picky and don't go on hearsay. Blame my dad for that, he taught me that it only takes one, might not be the first, but it will be the last.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
For a lark, a stack of dimes fits a 12 gauge perfectly. They are worthless for anything other than fun though, losing momentum almost immediately.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
No, noo, NOOOO!. The 410 shotgun is always .410 inches. 99% of them are full choke and may be even less. A 41 caliber lead bullet might be safe if there were no shot cup or anything around it. There are people who shoot lead bullets in the lever action 410s like the Marlin 1895, the Rossi lever action 410 and the more recent Henry lever action 410 shotgun. Winchester also made the model 9410 but they are rare collectors items now, few people shoot them. They have no rifling so not very accurate. But they use lead 41 caliber bullets in them.

What confuses everybody is the Taurus Judge and the SW Governor which I also load for. They are bored for 45 caliber and take bullets that are .451-.454 inches. Since the 45 Colt cases are so big the 410 shotgun shell will fit inside the much larger 45 colt chamber and the shot and buckshot just go down the barrel and deal with the rifling the best they can. Since they are pistols and shooting bird shot and buck shot at short range accuracy is not a big deal. I have the Governor and am pleased with it for very short range work. It shoots the 45 Colt and 45 acp just fine.

The first picture here is of a 410 case, a 45 bullet a 410 commercial slug I am loading and a load 454 Casull that I just loaded today. The second picture is the regular 410 slug that a re-loader might use. It measures 0.396. The third picture is a 410 case which measures 0.420 on the inside. So, it would not take the 45 caliber bullet intended for the 45 acp or the 45 LC. But, what I had mentioned and probably confused people is that you can take a regular 9mm bullet that is 0.355 or a 38/357 bullet that is .357 or .358 and they fit very well inside the regular shot cup that you normally load in a 410. Then you just load it like you would any 1/2 ounce 410 shell crimp it and you have a 158 grain 357 bullet coming out as fast as any 357 pistol. We shot some recently from a little Rossi single shot youth model and were shooting through old plywood at 30-40 feet and were very impressed.

View attachment 171758 View attachment 171759 View attachment 171760
From a survival standpoint, a person can take any 410 bird shot and just cut the front open and pour out the birdshot and insert a 357 or 9mm bullet and you have a pretty good short range round. Or some people just cut them open and fill the existing shot with hot clue which makes them a frangible round and supposedly make a self defense load. I have not tried that one. Anyway, no the 45 are too big but the small 9mm and 357 bullets work fine.
Got it, Thanks

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Where did you find your load data to load .357 bullets in a 410? I'm picky and don't go on hearsay. Blame my dad for that, he taught me that it only takes one, might not be the first, but it will be the last.
Good advice. I invented my loads but I will tell you how I know they are safe. .I see faulty data all the time on the net and in gun rags. Example. The current Gun Digest has an article about the history of the 22 and it's various off shoots. The guy claims he has only owned one 22 in his 35 years. And he goes through explaining what he knows and believes. At one point he says his Ruger 77/22 just loves the CCI Quiet and their 45 grain bullet. That should set off an alarm bell for anyone who knows anything about 22s, 45 grain bullets are rare. I buy them when I can get them, Winchester markets them as "subsonic" ammo with the 45 grain bullet. Winchester also sells a 45 grain "subsonic" load for the 22 mag, I love them too for my Ruger Precision Rimfire.

The CC quiet comes in 2 models, but they are not 45 grain bullets, they are 40 grain bullets at 710 fps, same as a 22 short. They come as a segmented 40 grain hollow point or as a lead round nose bullet, both at 40 grains.

So, we have an expert telling us what is just not correct. Would you trust that expert telling you how much powder to put in your reloads, nope. I have written many, many magazines, they always tell me it is a typo that they did not make a mistake. Maybe the proof reader made a mistake. Anyway, I agree, make folks site their source.

Actually, if you load 410, starting with the normal 1/2 ounce load, my standard load is per MEC, the instructions that came with the press, but also just check any shotgun load source, and you will see that H110 or W296, calls for about 14.9 grains for most brands of cases, and that bushing and load I just standardized for all shotgun hulls. If you load shotgun, you know the factories have a difference load for every brand and every style of case and shot cup combination. That said, 14.9 grains is OK for all of them, that I load, perhaps a little low in some but your basic 1,200 fps load with 1/2 ounce of shot. An ounce of shot or lead is 437.5 grains, half is 219 grains. So, any bullet 219 grains or less is safe. I simply chose to use the 158 grain .357 bullet because that is a mold that I have.
If you go to the Hodgen loading center it will show you what 410 cases they consider safe with H110 and LilGun, the 2 they sell. You will notice that both the Federal and the Remington go to 15.7 grains of powder or more and that is for 218 grains of shot. So my 158 grain 357 wadcutter is far below any risk level. The point with something like a solid in a smooth bore 410 is it is only going to be accurate to maybe 40-50 yards, and if it leaves the barrel at 1,200 fps or so, it is about like any 357 pistol. Pretty good stopping power at 0-50 yards.

ManufacturerPowderPrimerWadGrs.PressureVel. (ft/s)
HodgdonH110OUT OF STOCKChed. 209Fed. 410SC15.78,700 PSI1,200
HodgdonH110OUT OF STOCKChed. 209Fed. 410SC169,900 PSI1,225
HodgdonH110OUT OF STOCKChed. 209Rem. SP41015.58,800 PSI1,200
HodgdonH110OUT OF STOCKChed. 209Rem. SP41015.79,800 PSI1,225
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKChed. 209Fed. 410SC1311,100 PSI1,200
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKChed. 209Fed. 410SC13.312,000 PSI1,225
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKChed. 209Rem. SP41012.811,400 PSI1,200
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKChed. 209Rem. SP41013.111,800 PSI1,225
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKFio. 616Fed. 410SC1311,600 PSI1,200
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKFio. 616Fed. 410SC13.311,900 PSI1,225
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKFio. 616Rem. SP41012.711,200 PSI1,200
HodgdonLil'GunOUT OF STOCKFio. 616Rem. SP4101312,300 PSI1,225

I also cast buck shot, I have molds for the #4, 0,00 and 000 Buck. I load for the Smith and Wesson Governor also. The most popular and effective load for that pistol is the Federal buckshot load which is four 000 buck shot. A single 000 buck shot weighs about 70 grains, so 4 would weigh 280 grains, so no I could not load them in that shell but the 00 buck only weighs 54 grains so I could load 4 of them ( 4 x 54 =216). Assuming that they are accurate enough for my needs. I do not do that I like the 000 buck so I just drop my powder down.
Buckshot Sizes & More Shotgun Stuff You Should Know (luckygunner.com)

I like to develop my own loads as long as I am safe and own many in 410 so they make fun projects. For the Governor pistol I am thinking about a load with a single bullet then maybe some shot. The 410 defensive ammo has one that is a bullet and 2 buckshot, the Hornady Triple Defense with one 41 cal bullet and 2 35 cal balls. Another that is 3 discs and 12 BBS, the Winchester PDX1 Defender. The BBs are protected by the shot cup, so adding a bullet inside the shot cup, like a 158 wadcutter bullet would work, as long as the 12 BBs did not add too much space or weight. 12 BBs by the way are about 65 grains, so adding them to the 158 grain bullet would be about a few grains too much, so either go to 11 BBs or maybe use a 125 grain bullet and go to about 17 BBs, that would be under the weight I normally use for the 1/2 ounce of shot. Would it work? Do I have too much spare time?

Anyway that is how I create my own data, nothing unsafe, just using known data and changing the components a little bit. You do know there are people who shoot arrows out of 410s right? And they have been selling 410s to do that for several years, right? Just saying, I am not the only one.

Reactions: Vintage Racer

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,224 Posts
But that’s Canadian Waters.
Look at the map. That's Lake Erie. The line down the middle of the lake is the border between Michigan and Ohio.

Apropos of nothing, you'll probably do better magnet-fishing south of Detroit and north of Cleveland. But if you catch anything, you'd better have the police run the serial number to make sure it's not a murder gun. And if the serial number has been filed off, just turn it over to the police. You know as well as I do that no one removes the serial number of a pistol unless they mean to use it for no good.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
ratio?
well less is i guess the answer to the ratio is greater than.

i don't have a lot of handguns, maybe 20? 10? 3,,,9? i don't rightly know for sure.
about as many as i have shotguns i think.
meh they both add up to less than the number of rifles i have and are close to almost as many lever guns as i got,,,, i think, maybe,, no?,,yeah that's about right.
i ain't walking all over the house to count them though.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Look at the map. That's Lake Erie. The line down the middle of the lake is the border between Michigan and Ohio.

Apropos of nothing, you'll probably do better magnet-fishing south of Detroit and north of Cleveland. But if you catch anything, you'd better have the police run the serial number to make sure it's not a murder gun. And if the serial number has been filed off, just turn it over to the police. You know as well as I do that no one removes the serial number of a pistol unless they mean to use it for no good.
Yep. And the pipper is just north of that border line, east of point pelee a ways. Due south of St. Thomas.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I have similar numbers on handguns, rifles and shotguns. The shotguns see the most use.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The current poll is clearly on rifles.

I voted half rifles and half handguns. I still like my vote in my location: I am just north of the Atlanta violent crime zone. I need to watch out for the gangbangers that will try to steal my car and credit cards while I am filling up my gas tank. The Courts here will let 'em go home.

It's my only solution to carry a handgun.

Reactions: blue fox
21 - 40 of 45 Posts