Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my hands on an SKS soon. I was wondering what type of ammo do they like best? I know that all guns are different as far as brands and weight it likes best, but I was wondering if there was one that they liked in gerenal more than others?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think it is more of what you like than the SKS. Both of mine will eat anything, have had no issue with milsurp, Russian, Yugo or domestic. Most of the Russian berdan stuff can be had for about $4 a box and some of the reloadable PRVI for about $11 a box, you can even get some Walmart Winchester for about $13.

Will you be shooting outside or at an indoor range, only asking because the cheaper ammo is very stinky and many indoor ranges will frown.

Either way the SKS is very fun to shoot, what will you be getting?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
7.62 X .39 I use whatever is cheapest, usually Wolf or Silver Bear, both are Russian

·
Registered
460 Posts
Usually Wolf ammo is readily available and affordable. I have not had any problems with that ammo. If you are looking to get a scope for your SKS let me know. I have a new one in the box with the mounts and receiver cover and rail for sale. Scope is 3-9 variable.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is more of what you like than the SKS. Both of mine will eat anything, have had no issue with milsurp, Russian, Yugo or domestic. Most of the Russian berdan stuff can be had for about $4 a box and some of the reloadable PRVI for about $11 a box, you can even get some Walmart Winchester for about $13.

Will you be shooting outside or at an indoor range, only asking because the cheaper ammo is very stinky and many indoor ranges will frown.

Either way the SKS is very fun to shoot, what will you be getting?
Outdoor. I don't know think that there is an indoor range around here. I'm wanting to either luck into a Russian for the price of a Norico, or Yugo. But I wouldn't mind any other milsurp as long as its complete. I see so many around here in the pawn shops that don't have bayonets or cleaning rods and I'm sure the kits are gone as well. I know that there is nothing wrong with the Norico's, and they are probably a better gun than most of the milsurps, I just like milsurp stuff.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually Wolf ammo is readily available and affordable. I have not had any problems with that ammo. If you are looking to get a scope for your SKS let me know. I have a new one in the box with the mounts and receiver cover and rail for sale. Scope is 3-9 variable.
I've shot Wolf out of my Mosins and my PA-63. It is good ammo, just dirty. The local shops carry it.
If the funding permits, I may be hitting you up for that scope mount. I still have to acquire a rifle first.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Personally, I prefer Brown Bear. It seems a little cleaner than Wolf.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yeah I would like to have a Russian as well, the price is around $550-$600 on Gunbroker, not to say you cant luck into one. Maybe close to the Holidays. Century International has gotten a new batch of Romy's and Yugo's at very good prices. They only deal with FFL 01 and 03 though, but if you do not have your C&R you can have your dealer check the prices for you. Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I would like to have a Russian as well, the price is around $550-$600 on Gunbroker, not to say you cant luck into one. Maybe close to the Holidays. Century International has gotten a new batch of Romy's and Yugo's at very good prices. They only deal with FFL 01 and 03 though, but if you do not have your C&R you can have your dealer check the prices for you. Good luck on your hunt.
About a month ago I found a Russian in a little gun shop here that a guy runs in his garage for $235. It has killed me ever since that I didn't have the cash to get it. It was in excellent shape, still had bayonet, cleaning rod and kit, which is not common around here. It was a 53 Tula, which if I'm not mistaken was the first year the Russians had chrome lined barrels, it looked like it had just come off the assembly line and set in that rack. I'm gonna go next Saturday hunting for one. When to one pawn shop today and there was 6 or 7 in there, none had bayonets, one didn't even have a magazine I didn't even bother to ask for prices on them. There is a town about 30 minutes away that I found several nice ones for cheap in the 2 pawn shops, I think that I'm gonna head out there and see what kind of deal I can get on trade a guitar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts