Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there were several different types of Mosins, with some notable differences. Which Model should I get?

The 91/30, the M-38, or the M-44?

I saw a 91/30 with a "hex reciever", what's that?

If there are any other types, let me know.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
For starting out I'd get a 91/30

"Hex" receiver is the older Hexagonal receiver...said to be stronger...they went to round receiver when they learnt how to make them that way.

Hex is a little more collectable but they all shoot well...

I have a 91/30 round
A laminate stock M44
A Hardwood M44
A M38 in a true M38 stock (no groove for bayonet like M44 stock)
And a M39 Finnish Mosin (The best of Mosins)

All of them in Ex.cond and all number stamped matching...
Be careful...they are addictive! ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
There is also a Type 53 essentially a M-44 manufactured in China under contract. Also, there were numerous versions produced in Warsaw Pact countries. They are in essence the same rifle but will have different arsenal markings. Go 7.62x54R.net they will give you quite a few variations (over 300.)

·
Registered
767 Posts
9130...the laminated stock version like we give away at gunsandfun.com...I shoot 2 ich groups at 100 yards with iron sights

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will have to cede with the other recommendations. Sorry, didn't really grasp what I was replying too. So many variations. The 91/30 is best, kinda large but very good.

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
i started with a 91-30 ..... started! now they are takin over!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I'll make it darn near unamimous, and say 91/30 too.

Nice thing about Mosins right now is that they're so cheap, you don't have to buy just one. Start with the 91/30, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
i had 1 for about a month... lets just say ..he got lonesome....:09:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
91/30

I missed a chance to get one at Big 5 yesterday because a so called friend wouldn't loan me $20.:hitwithrock:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
91/30 tula if possible, or m-39 finn
The 91\30 is a great rifle but I like the shorter M-38 for ease of carrying. The M-39 is the ultimate but the prices have gone through the roof in since the major supplies have dried up. I paid $90.00 for my 1944 Sako and now they are around $250-300.00 when you can find them.
FWIW, I took two deer with my M-44 this year. The first was @220 yds and the second was @ 185-these old guns will really shoot if you do your part and use good ammo.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
you may as well get one of each. lol
if you don't, you will later anyway :)

That pretty much says it all.. They're fun, cheap and addictive..

Younggun,
Where are you located at, statewise? Someone can point you in the right direction with that info.

Gunbroker or Auction Arms will get you what you need, but you'll end up paying an extra $20-30 over buying from a local dealer.

So, if I were you, and you don't have a C and R license, go visit a local gun dealer that you can trust and have him quote you one of the guns you're interested in. He'll be able to buy one for $70 or so and sell it to you for $90 or so. (He's in business to make money, you know)..

Once you get it, grab some mil-surp ammo from one of the online places and shoot shoot shoot..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a m-44 for my first Mosin, first centerfire rifle too and have had no regrets. I like it because of its size and bayonet, none of my friends have ever seen a rifle with a attatched folding bayonet :burnout:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started my little Nagant collection with a couple of cheap/beater m44's. Then did some trading. Then ended up with some nice Russian 91/30's, a couple of Finn m27's, a Finn m28, a Finn m28/30, several Finn m91's, and then a couple of Finn m39's. A little thing called divorce necessitated in them going bye-bye. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

All of them are now gone except for my $89 SAKO m39 I bought from WG&A years ago. This is my favorite Nagant ever. Not the best shooting one I ever had but my favorite anyway.

I am getting away from shooting milsurp unless I have to & I am exploring reloading, sometimes. Like mostly during deer season?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts