What kind of snake is this?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mouser868, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Was mowing today and found this snake crawling around by the house. IMG_20200920_173054.jpg

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS likes this.
  2. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Could be a copperhead, but maybe a different species than we have here. Ours are generally more stocky than that & I can't see it's head clearly.

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Corn snake perhaps ?

4. TXplt

Corn snakes look a fair bit like copperheads but the head is different. From a distance it’s easy to fratricide them.

Jaison likes this.
  5. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

As slender as it is, I agree it's more likely a corn snake.

Jaison, TXplt and jwrauch like this.
  6. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Corn Snake

upload_2020-9-20_18-19-8.jpeg

Copperhead

TXplt likes this.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Copperhead

upload_2020-9-20_18-21-15.jpeg

TXplt and jwrauch like this.
  8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

red rat snake.

BigEd63, rando and TXplt like this.
  9. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

blaster, neophyte and TXplt like this.
  10. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Eastern Milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum), but they can be quite difficult to tell from a Corn snake (Elaph gutatta) in a picture that I don't have a clear view of the head.

My opinion, is it's probably an Eastern milksnake.

Either way, it was harmless.

How long is it? If it's over 39, or 40 inches long, it's a corn snake. If it's under, it could be either. I'm trying to remember how many scale rows are on each one. I'll get back.

Ok, Corn snakes have slightly broader heads, as Milk snakes are burrowers, so their head is slightly more narrow. This is probably a Corn snake. Where is this located, as this is important for helping I.D.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Jaison, neophyte and TXplt like this.
  11. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

It is called a TARGET, for a 12GA. :eek:

12. TXplt

That’s kind of the thing. I’ve shot copperheads and I’ve shot corn snakes thinking they were smaller copperheads.

While there probably isn’t anything horrible about killing a harmless snake it isn’t something I want to do. They are beneficial in killing vermin.

13. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Corn snake I think. Had one for a pet for years. Started out the size of a pencil eating pinkies and grew to 40" when we gave it to a snake lover friend of ours with kids. Living in the country with all the darn mice and chipmunks destroying everything I invite any non venomous snake to come and live here. Bull snakes are the best and shot one by mistake and still feel bad today. But rattlers? Just shot one in the garage in July. Would of let it go if we didn't have fur babies. It rattled and gave me a warning and didn't strike, but killed it for the sake of the dogs.

cjleete, jwrauch, neophyte and 4 others like this.
  14. Wasn't taking no chances, mom and dad are supposed to be coming up this week, shot it with a 9mm shotshell. It's quite dead and mom is happy about that.

Appreciate all the input.

15. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Looks like a red rat snake to me also.

16. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Personally, the act of shooting a beneficial snake, is plain ignorance. I can tell the difference between a copperhead, and a corn snake, at 40 yards. Not hard to learn. I'm no tree hugger, but killing an animal that eats mice, rats, and copperheads, and not learning the difference, is plain laziness.

17. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    You are right in fact I found a black snake in the kitchen few months ago and let it go. I figure if the cat is too lazy in his old age to kill mice let the snake do it.

18. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I've killed one copperhead in the front yard, shortly after moving here, because I had small grandkids that would visit from time to time. Since then, I don't kill any of them, just move 'em back out to the woods.:)

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I'm fortunate the only snakes we've ever seen around here are garter snakes. Saw one biggie about 2 feet long last year. He can eat all the mice, voles, and the like he can find, so far as I am concerned.

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

Yep that's a common Rat/Corn snake. Completely harmless.
    I'm always amused that grown men are so afraid of snakes,and kill everyone that they see.