Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is a story behind every M1 carbine built during WWII. I would like to know when my carbine was built and how close to original it is. Winchester M1 carbine.receiver 657049# Round bolt has a w, recoil plate has D,l stamped inside. Barrel has the circle with w and some kinda crazy y. Ordnance bomb next to the gas port with the S and the N on the Barrel no bayonet lug. Slide has w with a 2 on the edge with 7160091on the back. trigger group Q-NL parkerized gray, trigger LT-Q, sear QE-Q, hammer, TQ Safety Q-NL trigger group doesn't have lever, just push button. Stock has a Ordnance cannons on the right side, Pistol grip has R-A- P and below that it has Z. Top hand guard has S A.
Receiver on the left side has been drilled for a scope mount so I doubt that this is the original stock or that the previous owner took care to use another stock. Three holes, two make it through the receiver and one of them actually opens up to the threads at the barrel.:zx11pissed:. Does this completely ruin the gun? Does it destroy most of the value? Gas nut is overtorqued.

·
Registered
30 Posts
april - june of 1945. its a re-arsenaled carbine. the rifle being drilled for a scope to me at least kills its value, the way that one is drilled. but i'm a collector of these rifles so i'm a bit anal about what has be altered or drilled on. JMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STU Thank you for your time with your reply. Being new to this board I guess posters are hesitant in replying. Thank you for the information and the dates.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not hesitant, we just don't get around to replying that fast. I agree with Audie. The screw holes severely devalue it for collecting purposes, but not as a shooter. And why do you think the piston nut is over torqued? They are usually staked in place which would make them difficult to turn without the proper tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bubba got a holt of it wit one of them wrenches you buy online and split the thin part of the barrel where the hole is and the threads have a cockeyed look about them now. That's why.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Obviously he took the nut out then tried to replace it without chasing the threads. That'll do it every time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts