close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What knife?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Lenny2, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

I know this has probably been done a million times...so what's one more time...

What kind of knife do you carry?

I carry a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto 4" Straigt Edge

2. I don't carry a knife, per se (have one in the glove box of the truck, tackle box, etc.) though.

I always thought if you have to use it for self defense you're too close to the other person.

I was always trained to maintain distance as a means of defense, but, I guess if your back's against the wall a knife is better than nothing.

Personally, if my back is against the wall, and no way out, the Mak or CZ75B is coming out...fer sure...yepper.

BTW, as a rule of thumb is if you are confronted with a person who only has a knife, and you have a gun, never let him/her within the seven step range. (actually the figure is 21 feet - seven fast and hurried steps).

Anything less than that a person with any knife skills at all can rush you and be on you before you can even mentally react by squeezing the trigger...let alone take it out.

Lenny, I got an old, old Case folding knife my grandfather gave me when I was a teenager and he had it many years before that...guessing it's at least 75 years old now. Nice knife and I cherish it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2002

3. KNIFE???

CARRY SPLICING SHEARS WHICH FOR ME WORK BETTER THAN A KNIFE IN MY APPLICATIONS.

DANA

4. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Dale,
    I use my knife more as a tool than as a weapon. But a fine weapon it makes. And you are right about confronting a knife wielder. But most incidents occur within 5 feet. My CCW instructor had a confrontation in the mens room in a bar where someone rushed him with a broken bottle. His gun was in his ankle rig and his knife was clipped to his pant pocket. He had to go for the knife due to the time it would take to get to his gun. The guy backed off at the last minute when he saw the knife. I have found my knife defused several instinces when the gun was not visible on me or not on me at all.

5. I carry a leatherman. Super tool style, I think it is. Mostly I need the other stuff as opposed to the knife part. Cleaning mule hooves, cutting barbwire etc.

It flips open fast to expose the needlenose plier for a self defence penetration device. Or just held unopened in a closed fist to add weight to a punch.

Mainly I just use the blade to clean my toenails and slice my oranges.

For hunting it just depends on which way the wind is blowing.
    I guess my favorite is my Schrade "Little Finger" drop point.

I did just buy a "Sliver Stag" with a antler handle and a gut hook that I will probably try out this fall.

Hud

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Benchmade Mel Pardue 330 liner lock on one keychain....little bitty Schrade folder on the other (my car has to warm up for 5 minutes in the morning and I live in an apartment complex until Saturday...then I move into my brand new house) I have a Leatherman Supertool in the glovebox too...

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

8. Lenny-- I don't own a cold steel product, but from the write ups-- top of the line. Another good choice is emerson.--benchmade.

9. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Ontario Bowie,

It slices, it dices, it makes julian fries :)

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Benchmade is the Sheewatay!. $175 for a little 'spyderco' may sound like alot. But you will never, ever have a problem whatsoever. Best Knife made IMO.

11. Amorer I own a Ontario bolo -- a gift from my wife. Outstanding and razor sharp out of the box.

12. Eric--- too rich for my blood. Benchmade are very nice. Christmas wish list.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have some BenchMade folders I carry a lot.

14. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Well alan, it's actually too rich for my blood too. But you gotta love the government when they give you money to buy toys like that. I was doing a CN mission down south and we had $167,000 to spend. Everybody on my team got everything you can think of. The good part about it, on Counter Narcoitics missions, they are funded by the DEA thru confiscated drug money. So I had absolutely no problem dumping that much money on a little knife not to mention all the other things. But it is an awesome knife.

15. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I carry a Benchmade AFO,automatic.

16. Logansdad,

First, congratulations on your upcoming move into a new home......I'm very happy for you. Exciting I know....something of your own. A place where you can do pretty much what you want.

Second, that knife looks mean dude........fer sure....yepper.

17. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    LD, I think you are on to something. Plus, you never have to sharpen it. I think that's great.

18. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Alan,

With the lifetime replacement, Ontario makes good stuff. Not much to look at.

Being an Armorer. I can never leave anything alone. I took mine to a local cutlery shop that has a laser honer. I had them recut
    the angle of the forward blade steeper from 4 degrees to 6.

Then I took it home and hand edged and honed the back blade.

I was asked once why I have such a big knife. I said, (a) it ain't big, (b) it's a tool.... An attitude adjustment tool !

Attached Files:

19. Just thought I would throw in a picture of my small but usefull collection.

I couldn't find the picture at first. Who thought it would be in the "B"s fore blades instead of the "N"s for nives? (thats a joke guys, stop groaning now).

Anyway the two Victorianoxs on each side of the throwing knife (center) are my favorite for butchering. The third knife from the right has been in our family since at least the late 1800's. On the far left is a serrated Cutco and it does cut! But my favorite all around knife is the "Little Finger" on the right. I don't have my new Silver Stag in this photo.

The blades are a little stained but they came by it honestly.

Hud

Attached Files: