Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage Model 99 in .250 Savage with a 14 in 1 barrel twist. I am having problems stabilizing the factory load 100 grain Remington bullets that I am using – I imagine because of the barrel twist. I would like to retain the heaviest and highest quality bullet possible for hunting big-game ranging from pronghorn to mule deer. I am going to be reloading and would like some advice from anyone who has experience with this cartridge and this barrel twist about what rounds will stabilize with this gun? Are there any 100 grain .257 bullets out there that will fire precisely with this twist rate or do I have to drop down to 85 grains? I was going to start loading nosler partition 100 grain rounds until I read some material from the manufacturer stating that these bullets will not stabilize with a 14 in 1 barrel twist. Any other comparable round that will? What have you found? Any advice is graciously received.

Thanks
Joel

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're looking at bullet weights in the seventies, 72 to 76 grain Max for the .22-250 with a 1:14 twist.
Otter, the 250-3000 Savage is the parent to the 22-250 but a 22 cal 1 in14 barrel will not stablilize ANYTHING heavier than 55g. You need at least 1 in 10for 72-76g bullets and 1 in 9 would be better

Backcountry...My quarter bore experience is with 25-06 and with a 1 in 10 I can stabilize 117's easily. As far as a .25 with 1 in 14, 100g would be pushing it but if you load to the max velocity you might be able to stablize it. A round nose will stablize with a slower twist than a spitzer due to its shorter length for equivalent weight but anything heavier than 100 will keyhole. You will also run into problems with Barnes X's in lighter weights. As they are solid copper, they are a lot longer than lead core bullets of the same weight and need quicker twists to stabilize.
I'd work up a load of 100's using a less expensive bullet than a partition and take it to the range and see what she'll do. what have you got to lose? it may not be super accurate but if you could get 1 1/2 - 2 inc groups at 100yds without keyholing and you hunt in thick cover your shots will be less than 100yds anyway. If you are looking for a tack driving accuracy though you'll have to stick with 85 grainers

·
Registered
992 Posts
Unlike the .223 family of cartridges which require tighter barrel twists to stabilize bullets over 55 grain, the .22-250 with higher presure and velosity will stabilize heavier bullets with it's 1:14 twist. My friend had this problem with my SP1 when he tried to shoot service rifle match with 62 grain ball and we had to switch to 55 grain ball because of the 1:12 twist. I remember reading this data, but couldn't remember the weights, therefore I was too heavy on the previous post.
Speer Reloading Manual Edition 13 lists 70 grain .224 caliber
semi-spitzer loads for both the 22-250 and the 220 Swift in a 1:14 twist
barrel. Sierra does NOT have load data for such a bullet. I would
definitely be leery of the Speer data, although they claim it DOES
stabilize and is useful on game as large as deer. I'd like to see what the bullet does at 300 meters.
My mistake, I was thinking .22-250, not .250 savage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto News blog

-=- Auto News blog Auto News blog New Cars The machines of family LS 460 presented to press in Austria, in the environments of Salzburg. Possibly, so uncommon a foreshortening will help to better feel the atmosphere of luxury and comfort. In those seventeen years, that they passed from the appearance of first “Leksus-.LSâ€￾Read the rest of this entry and more about new cars here » New Cars -=- Auto News blog or Motor Test

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you want to use spitzer bullets you are going to have to use an 87 grain bullet. (that's where the old term .250-3000 came from, for 3000 fps with the 87 gr bullet) If you want to stay with 100 grain slugs you may wish to try a round nose projectile. Sometimes a RN will stabilize when a spitzer won't. No promises though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Savage 99, 250-3000

I'm glad i'm not the only person working up a good deer load for the Savage 99 in 250-3000, Nosler says none of thier bullets will stabilize in a 1 to 14 twist barrell.
I believe the gun was designed for 87 gr bullets but after consulting with a gunsmith in N.C. i will try his advice of the Barnes triple X in 90 grs for deer and drop down to the 75 gr for varmits.
I traded for my Mod 99 take down about 3 years ago the stock and forearm were in terrible condition i sent them to a stock duplicator in Illinois then turned the project over to Dwayne umberger a local west Tn. gunsmith who has done several good jobs for me in the past, A little over 2 years go by and i finally got my gun back i had it bead blasted and parkerized black, drilled and tapped and a Nikon mounted on leopold mount and sling swivels installed. I sighted it in at 25 yds with factory 100 gr loads 2 in high and the old gun shot wellnow to work up a nice load with Barnes X's and i will keep you advised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joe form the back Country, looks like we probably have the same problem . Is your mod 99 a take down model? Curt Venable custom rifle maker in NC advised me to try Barned triple X bullets so i will however went down to Mississippi and found 2 old boxes of .25 bullets one bx of 75 gr the other was 87 gr which the 1x14 twist rate originaly fired. bass pro and Sprotsman warehouse neither had anybullets for the gun so i will reload as soon as my Barnes triple xs get here from Midway catalog every gunshop in the memphis area no longer sell reloading components so i have to order.

·
Registered
931 Posts
250 Savage

I'm interested in what you guys come up with because I also have the Savage 99 in 250-3000 with the 1:14 twist.
I have factory 100 grain bullets and have several brands of 87 and 90 grain bullets.
I don't hunt, I just want an accurate range load.
My problem is that instead of the usual powders for this caliber, what I have now is some Ramshot TAC and Ramshot Hunter. Any body familiar with these powders especially in this caliber?
Regards, DocAitch
BTW,Welcome to the board

·
Registered
114 Posts
Backcountry,
How old is the .250 your shooting? I've got an Savage .250 that shoots 100 gr all day, it was made about 1934. I also have a sheet of barrel twists on it, it says the Savage 99 has a 1 in 10 twist, maybe this is the newer rifles made?! I know my grand dad had a .250, it shot 87's and 100's all day long too, that was all they made then, it was a take down model. I've reloaded Hornandy 87's and 100's in SP, they both shoot accurate as hell. Like I said, possibly the sheet with the rifling twists is incorrect, I do know mine has the 1 in 14 twist on it and my Hornady reloading book says you can shoot all weights of bullets, except the ones heavier than 117 gr.

788Ham

"He was just too high strung" Doc Holliday

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Savage Super sporter Mod. 45, 250-3000, it was made in late 1920´s, it has 1/14 twist. I do reload, If you are out of brass you can make it from 22-250 brass.
Mine won´t shoot 100 gr bullets, but is 1/2 MOA with hornady 75 gr HP, 43 gr H414, OAL 2.465, 3300 FPS aprox. (Coyote Load) .
For Deer, I bougth from Barnes Home page, several boxes of 75 gr XFB (discontinued item, for $14.50 a box plus shiping) is 1 MOA load, Excelent deer load. I shot a Deer at 30 yards trought both shoulders, dead in its tracks. I haven´t recover a bullet yet. LOAD. BARNES 75 GR XFB, CCI 200, H414 (43.5 G), OAL 2.485.
BARNES MANUAL SAYS. 3350 FPS LOAD.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My old Model 1920 in 250 savage won't shoot anything Nosler, but does ok with 100 grain Remington RN core-locks. The problem I have is finding 100 grain RN anything. I've read that the 87 and 90 grain Sierra gamekings shoot well, but haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I would think that 100gr Rem,corelokt would be real deer medicine and I only see a difference of about 1" in drop at 300yds between them and a soft point.Thats running about 2900fps.I have little experience with that cartridge.None on record. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You are going to have to try different weights to find the best but 55gr to 62gr is probably going to be the heaviest because of twist.
It is not so much weight as length and bearing surface.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You are going to have to try different weights to find the best but 55gr to 62gr is probably going to be the heaviest because of twist.
It is not so much weight as length and bearing surface.

????????????????

We're talking about a 250 SAVAGE, not a 22-250 REMINGTON.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The airborne doesn't usually get up before 10:00.Wait 'til he has his coffee,then he will give you an answer that won't quit.I like those guys,even if they do fall on their heads. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1:14 twist .250 Savage

I have used and or load for 6 different .250 savages. Absolutely the best and most underrated caliber in existance. From mice (75 grain V-max) to Black Bear (120 Nosler Partition at 2800 fps). Now the 1:14 twist. My 99R
is a 1:14. This gun will not stabilize 100 grain anything except Winchester Silvertips (Round nose, Short bullet length). And that is what I use for deer in it. It works great and and is super accurate. If you Need to roll your own on, try the Sierra 90 grain Hollow point with 35 grains of Varget. Nice velocities, stable bullets (IE straight on, not keyholing) but groups will be 1.5"-2.0" Deer accurate but not what a modern .250 is capable of. In restrospect, the silvertip will give 1/2" to 1" groups. Until Winchester releases these bullets in bulk, I would stick with the factory loads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
250 Savage 100 grain bullet load data

I am a huge fan of the .250 Savage as well as the Savage 99 Rifle. I have three Savage 99's in .250 Savage and a Remington Classic in 250 Savage. I am building another 250 on a Remington Seven action. I use 100 grain bullets for all. Two of the 99s are pre WWII Takedowns and the other 99 was made in the '50s. The Remington Classic was made in 1984. Each rifle shoots 100 grain bullets into 1" at 100 yards. My load is 32.0 grains IMR 3031. My older pair of 99s are very deadly with the 100 gr Remington PSP and the other 99 shoots Nosler Ballistic tips very well. The Remington Classic shoots the Barnes 100 gr TSX. The two older 99s will not stabilize any other brand of 100 grain bullet other than the Remington. One of the Takedowns was my dad's. He killed wild hogs, black bear, antelope, elk, mountain sheep, antelope, whitetail and mule deer with that rifle. He competed for many years with an M1 Garand but he always hunted with the Savage 99 (made in the '20). He exclusively used factory 100gr. Winchester Silver Tips. I mostly hunt with the 1918 Sav. 99 because someone before me drilled and tapped it for a scope. My dad's old T/D is retired. The later model 99 is virtually NIB. My Remington Classic is a regular hunter but is in mint condition. The 250 Savage is an excellent cartridge for whitetail deer within 300 yards. Long winded, yes. I just want to express that you try a rifle in .250 Savage if you get a chance. It's a properly designed bullet and shot placement that humanely kills the game, not the recoil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts